Burning Smell (1 Viewer)

PJJAnthony

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 16, 2005
55
0
When I came home from work last night, there was an electronic burning smell in the room where my 722K is. I have had the 722K for 10 months with no problems and it is acting normal today. There has been no smell since last night. The only other electronics I have in the room are a DVD player and a battery back up (UPS), so I suspect it is the 722K. Is this something I should be immediately concerned about or just wait to see what happens?
 

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
6,648
97
Earth
Usually, that kind of smell tends to stick around. Try smelling the vents of the 722K and even the UPS and DVD player, just in case. Just don't inhale too much :D .

If it's the 722K emitting the smell, I would get it replaced even if it seems to be functioning properly. If you use EHDs, I would recommend moving your recordings to them. Also, you can save all your timers to your remote.
 

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
12,657
7,520
FL
Also, check your high and average HDD temperatures, Menu-6-3, Counters, page down about 10 pages. High over 140, or average over 125 is asking for trouble.
 

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
770
5
Twin Cities, MN
yikes... I'd be worried at at a minimum want to identify the cause to make sure it won't happen again when I'm not home. Electronics becoming hot enough for you to sense the smell of burning plastic tells me things are too hot and there may be a fire hazard.

Anything plugged into power could be a cause. Most electronic parts that get that hot fail. If you had any unusual power events in your area, brown out, low voltage somehow , some devices may draw too much current and overheat. Typically the part that will overheat is the voltage regulator in the component, and these voltage regulators typically have a design such that if they overheat they will shut down.
 

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
51,556
16,465
Northern VA
One other suggestion: Go touch every wall outlet in the room. If one feels warm, replace it. And if replacing, use the screw terminals, not the speed slot where you just push the wire in.
 

bill42

SatelliteGuys Guru
May 2, 2009
130
0
de
I would spend time trying to track where it came from. Navychop had good suggestions. I will add check the wall switches too. I had to replace those after years of service. I could hear some of them sizzling like bacon frying.
 

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2011
933
255
crazy
One other suggestion: Go touch every wall outlet in the room. If one feels warm, replace it. And if replacing, use the screw terminals, not the speed slot where you just push the wire in.

Do you know that has been outlawed(NEC) for almost 40 years, but yet they still sell those dam pieces of crap!!!!
 

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
30,413
24,924
Fairfax, VA
Well... I always use the speed slots myself, though it's a bear trying to get the wire back out again. Obviously the ones I've used have pretty strong grippers in there. The only receptacles that I have found overheating were attached via screw terminals. Too bad the NEC can't outlaw gross incompetence. ;)
 

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
51,556
16,465
Northern VA
....... I will add check the wall switches too. I had to replace those after years of service. I could hear some of them sizzling like bacon frying.

Sizzling? That would quickly tighten up my ........ :eek:
 

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
51,556
16,465
Northern VA
Do you know that has been outlawed(NEC) for almost 40 years, but yet they still sell those dam pieces of crap!!!!

Wow. In my last electrical class, the master said how he loved them- made money replacing outlets. He never mentioned they weren't allowed anymore.

There's a variation out now, from Cooper, I think. A screw tightens down on a cover that will handle two conductors. Seems to work well.
 

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2011
933
255
crazy
Wow. In my last electrical class, the master said how he loved them- made money replacing outlets. He never mentioned they weren't allowed anymore.

There's a variation out now, from Cooper, I think. A screw tightens down on a cover that will handle two conductors. Seems to work well.

To funny....to bad some one didnt ask why they needed replacing? lol...... as for what can happen under the right senerio, you could lose the neutal and run 220 to all the other outlets.....I cant tell you how many service calls I went out on because of that problem? Some times its hard to find also!....next time you see him ask if he still used despare switches?! lol !!!!
 

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 26, 2011
933
255
crazy
There's a variation out now, from Cooper, I think. A screw tightens down on a cover that will handle two conductors. Seems to work well.

Thats been out for 30+ years, most 20 amp recepticals have it....first started out as medical grade and now all 20 ampers should have it....
 

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
51,556
16,465
Northern VA
To funny....to bad some one didnt ask why they needed replacing? lol...... as for what can happen under the right senerio, you could lose the neutal and run 220 to all the other outlets.....I cant tell you how many service calls I went out on because of that problem? Some times its hard to find also!....next time you see him ask if he still used despare switches?! lol !!!!

I was in the last class he taught. He moved to some rural area and semi-retired. Great guy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top