Bush teleconference with soldiers staged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Heres the link

Oct 13, 11:53 PM EDT

Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged

By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questions President Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war in Iraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

Barber said the president was interested in three topics: the overall security situation in Iraq, security preparations for the weekend vote and efforts to train Iraqi troops.

As she spoke in Washington, a live shot of 10 soldiers from the Army's 42nd Infantry Division and one Iraqi soldier was beamed into the Eisenhower Executive Office Building from Tikrit - the birthplace of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Advertisement

"I'm going to ask somebody to grab those two water bottles against the wall and move them out of the camera shot for me," Barber said.

A brief rehearsal ensued.

"OK, so let's just walk through this," Barber said. "Captain Kennedy, you answer the first question and you hand the mike to whom?"

"Captain Smith," Kennedy said.

McClellan says he sees nothing wrong with the fact that Pentagon officials coached the soldiers.

AP VIDEO

White House Defends Prepping Soldiers

Documents
Key Findings on WMD

Interactives
Surviving the Sand
Governing Iraq

Prison Abuse Scandal

1,500 U.S. Deaths

Street Fighting

Coalition Casualties

Recent Stories
Iraqis Increase Security for Historic Vote

Iraqi City Braces for Constitution Vote

A Look at U.S. Military Deaths in Iraq

U.S. Soldier Killed in Iraq

A Look at Procedures for Iraq Referendum

Likely Charges Against Saddam Outlined

Interactives
Poll Results
Bush's Ranch Diplomacy

Bush's Cabinet

State of the Union

News From the Bush Administration
Poll: Bush Presidency Judged Unsuccessful

Consular: Man in Bush Plot Denied Torture

Bush Without Rove Is Hard to Imagine

Bush Predicts Miers Will Be Confirmed

Bush Lauds Progress in Gulf Rebuilding

Rove's Long History With the Bush Family

Bush Defends Miers in Weekly Radio Address

How Different Groups Feel About Bush

Poll: Groups Unhappy With Bush Performance

PHOTO GALLERY

Iraq

PHOTO GALLERY

President Bush

"Captain. Smith? You take the mike and you hand it to whom?" she asked.

"Captain Kennedy," the soldier replied.

And so it went.

"If the question comes up about partnering - how often do we train with the Iraqi military - who does he go to?" Barber asked.

"That's going to go to Captain Pratt," one of the soldiers said.

"And then if we're going to talk a little bit about the folks in Tikrit - the hometown - and how they're handling the political process, who are we going to give that to?" she asked.

Before he took questions, Bush thanked the soldiers for serving and reassured them that the U.S. would not pull out of Iraq until the mission was complete.

"So long as I'm the president, we're never going to back down, we're never going to give in, we'll never accept anything less than total victory," Bush said.

The president told them twice that the American people were behind them.

"You've got tremendous support here at home," Bush said.

Less than 40 percent in an AP-Ipsos poll taken in October said they approved of the way Bush was handling Iraq. Just over half of the public now say the Iraq war was a mistake.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday's event was coordinated with the Defense Department but that the troops were expressing their own thoughts. With satellite feeds, coordination often is needed to overcome technological challenges, such as delays, he said.

"I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect," he said, adding that the president wanted to talk with troops on the ground who have firsthand knowledge about the situation.

The soldiers all gave Bush an upbeat view of the situation.

The president also got praise from the Iraqi soldier who was part of the chat.

"Thank you very much for everything," he gushed. "I like you."

On preparations for the vote, 1st Lt. Gregg Murphy of Tennessee said: "Sir, we are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. ... Back in January, when we were preparing for that election, we had to lead the way. We set up the coordination, we made the plan. We're really happy to see, during the preparation for this one, sir, they're doing everything."

On the training of Iraqi security forces, Master Sgt. Corine Lombardo from Scotia, N.Y., said to Bush: "I can tell you over the past 10 months, we've seen a tremendous increase in the capabilities and the confidences of our Iraqi security force partners. ... Over the next month, we anticipate seeing at least one-third of those Iraqi forces conducting independent operations."

Lombardo told the president that she was in New York City on Nov. 11, 2001, when Bush attended an event recognizing soldiers for their recovery and rescue efforts at Ground Zero. She said the troops began the fight against terrorism in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and were proud to continue it in Iraq.

"I thought you looked familiar," Bush said, and then joked: "I probably look familiar to you, too."

Paul Rieckhoff, director of the New York-based Operation Truth, an advocacy group for U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, denounced the event as a "carefully scripted publicity stunt." Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, he said.

"If he wants the real opinions of the troops, he can't do it in a nationally televised teleconference," Rieckhoff said. "He needs to be talking to the boots on the ground and that's not a bunch of captains."

Nothing this administration does isn't scripted. Its run like a corporation with a finely tuned PR department. Fortunately over 60% of America is finally seeing through this crap.

No, 60% of the people POLLED see through it, it's hardly 60% of the country. There's still a lot of people who think we're safe, and that bush knows what he's doing, etc...

I can't blame them for getting pro-bush soldiers to talk, it's expected, but to stage the whole thing, and to LIE to the soldiers is absurd. I guess they're used to being lied to so it's ok in the mind of W...

People, this is nothing new. When me and my troops met with President Bush Sr. in 1991 and President Clinton in 2000, all questions by military personnel were approved by military leaders in advance and were well rehearsed with Public Affairs Officers prior to being asked and answered. Military and White House staff new exactly what to expect; there were no surprises. Military personnel were not told what questions to ask, but they were selected based on the questions that were solicited by local commanders in addition to their ability to speak in public and their military bearing and comportment. This format sheds favorable light on both the Military and the While House.

It also protects the individual service member. While some may view this as an opportunity to try and embarrass the President, the fact of the matter is the President is the Commander in Chief and not showing him, or her for that matter, is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The offending individual will surely be carted off and wind up with formal charges against them. Service members should not be getting stupid in front of a national audience without first understanding the impact of such a decision. This is looking out for their welfare and is Leadership 101.

Again, this is nothing new so I am treating the incident no differently than any other political speech, press conference, and baby kissing session from any other politician. The Political Stage is just that... ;)

Purogamer said:
No, 60% of the people POLLED see through it, it's hardly 60% of the country. There's still a lot of people who think we're safe, and that bush knows what he's doing, etc...

I can't blame them for getting pro-bush soldiers to talk, it's expected, but to stage the whole thing, and to LIE to the soldiers is absurd. I guess they're used to being lied to so it's ok in the mind of W...

Just who is being lied to about what?

Anyone that thinks any public official speaks without some sort of script or semi-staged/coached crowd, especially if it will be televised, is nuts.

Bush will go down in history as a bum. well failed leader. CIA WARNED HIM IN ADVANCE we couldnt provide security in Iraq after saddam ouster, bush coose to ignore that info:(

Bob Haller said:
Bush will go down in history as a bum. well failed leader. CIA WARNED HIM IN ADVANCE we couldnt provide security in Iraq after saddam ouster, bush coose to ignore that info:(

Is this the same CIA that told him there were WMDs in Iraq? You can't cherry-pick, unless of course you're just trying to support a preconceived opinion without letting the facts get in the way.

Bush will go down in history as a bum. well failed leader. CIA WARNED HIM IN ADVANCE we couldnt provide security in Iraq after saddam ouster, bush coose to ignore that info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts