BUT WILL IT WORK?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tough alignment

I was thinking about your trouble zeroing in on the 123° bird with the oval DTV International dish.
It's possible the 125° bird is causing interference that dish's beamwidth just can't suppress.
That would certainly cause you grief.
- I wonder if it's as touchy adjusting the International dish to say 97° or 101°?
- I wonder if a bigger dish would tune up on 123° much easier? Probably.
- So, you really gave the orphanage the 123° bird, eh? :cool:

Here we go. Front and rear views by Mr. MexSunny, of a DirecTV 1m dish.
Note his StarChoice, and DirecWay dishes, too.
Zoom in for a better view.
They are all of the molded variety.

a bit more food for though:

In his recent post, Techno uses that DirecTV International dish you seem to love to hate...
... and gets 123° + 129° for Whitesprings.
Not sure that's necessarily a useful thing for the orphanages (but it could be). :rolleyes:
You could use an inexpensive 22khz or diseqc switch out by the LNBs, and still have only one coax running back to the receiver.
For a dedicated bullet-proof system, I might lean toward the 22khz switch.

But, that idea got me to thinking.
Wonder if your long-neck DirecWay dish could get: 123°, 125°, & 129°?
So, that would be 125° down the bore sight of the dish...
... 123° on the west of center...
... and 129° LNB on the east side of centerline. (the least critical LNB)

Or if we were to rework the LNB holder, then maybe something more like:
- 123° just west of centerline
- 125° just east of centerline
- 129° well eastward, over in the weeds. :cool:

You and I, being on the west coast (under the birds) and fairly far south (makes the birds appear farther apart) might get away with such a lash-up.
That would call for a 4x1 diseqc switch to select between the three LNBs. Or some other solution.

°

I was thinking about your trouble zeroing in on the 123° bird with the oval DTV International dish.
It's possible the 125° bird is causing interference that dish's beamwidth just can't suppress.
That would certainly cause you grief.
- I wonder if it's as touchy adjusting the International dish to say 97° or 101°?
- I wonder if a bigger dish would tune up on 123° much easier? Probably.
- So, you really gave the orphanage the 123° bird, eh? :cool:

Here we go. Front and rear views by Mr. MexSunny, of a DirecTV 1m dish.
Note his StarChoice, and DirecWay dishes, too.
Zoom in for a better view.
They are all of the molded variety.

Anole;
I see Santa Lizard has returned to the north pole..............:D

I had a modified Superdish on 123 before 125 was lit up, worked fine. When 125 went live, I got a lot of inteference and switched to a bigger dish (old DTN)
for each of those birds. When the weather warms a tad (-31 last night) I'm going to try the spacing you suggested to me earlier for multiple sats. You may be able to get 123 on a smaller dish, but I think it will give you fits trying to dial it in.

Last edited:
Anole;
I see Santa Lizard has returned to the north pole..............:D
Yea, the black stripe across the eye and snout, as well as the raised frill on the back of the neck, and hunched back, indicate this guy's in a fightin' mood! :cool:
He'd tear your finger off ... if he could get hold of it. He's only about finger-size. :D
Cadsulfide said:
I had a modified Superdish on 123 before 125 was lit up, worked fine.
When 125 went live, I got a lot of inteference and switched to a bigger dish (old DTN)
for each of those birds.
When the weather warms a tad (-31 last night) I'm going to try the spacing you suggested to me earlier for multiple sats.
You may be able to get 123 on a smaller dish, but I think it will give you fits trying to dial it in.
Yea, powering up 125° , plus the Equity troubles, really gave 123° a black eye.
We'll see if this DirecWay dish can manage both birds.
Its long focal length lets you have more space between LNBs, for a given satellite spacing.
That should translate to slightly easier adjustment than with the International dish.

Of course, Whitesprings at 4° away from 125° is a no-brainer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)