Status
Please reply by conversation.

drunk247

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2012
PA
Does anyone know where I might be able to pickup a mounting plate (not sure what they are called) for a button hook on a 10' mesh dish? I realize there are likely a large variety of possibilities. Would it be easier to have on fabricated than to locate one? I can post some pictures of the dish if necessary. It isn't installed yet and I was thinking I could have my father in law fabricate a mount or I would just use some EMT to convert the dish. Not sure which method would yield better results.

If you can post pictures of the dish that would be good, I imagine that there's quite a few different types out there!

Dish Identification and options for mounting the LNB:

IMG_20140918_091935.jpg IMG_20140918_091945.jpg IMG_20140918_091930.jpg IMG_20140918_091923.jpg

These are from shortly after pickup. I was going to plant the pole last weekend but it rained on Saturday.

Where are you located and what diameter is the end of the button hook tube? I stripped a 10' dish a few years ago and know I have the button hook but am not sure about the mount. I'd have to search the shed.

Thank you. I am just outside of Harrisburg, PA. I have a pack meeting tonight and I will check out the diameter when I get home.

A tube, that is a slip fit over the buttonhook tube, welded to a plate* that's bolted to the center of the dish. 2 holes with nuts welded onto it(the tube) to hold the buttonhook tube but allow focal length adjustment. *3 or 4 gussets for stiffness. (Exact measurements you'll have to determine)
ButtonHookDetail.jpg

Reactions: beavs2112
A tube, that is a slip fit over the buttonhook tube, welded to a plate* that's bolted to the cent er of the dish. 2 holes with nuts welded onto it(the tube) to hold the buttonhook tube but allow focal length adjustment. *3 or 4 gussets for stiffness. (Exact measurements you'll have to determine)

That is a definite plan. The OD of the tube is 1 3/8". That is with a tape measure. I'll look for my micrometer to get a better read in case fabrication is in order.

IMG_20140918_200347.jpg

I have the center plates from a 10' mesh dish here somewhere that may work, I'll try to find them over the weekend and post a picture. The dish itself was smashed but I think I saved the center plates. It wasn't a buttonhook on the dish but it does have a center hole in the plates and maybe could be used for a buttonhook.

I'm set up at an antique radio show for this weekend so I won't get a chance to search the shed before about Monday.

That sounds intriguing. At least it sounds better than selling popcorn with Cub Scouts all weekend. I'm certainly in no rush. I can only work on this on weekends and I don't even have the pole in the ground yet. I appreciate the happy thoughts for a dry weekend on the 4th.

Does anyone know where I might be able to pickup a mounting plate (not sure what they are called) for a button hook on a 10' mesh dish? I realize there are likely a large variety of possibilities. Would it be easier to have on fabricated than to locate one? I can post some pictures of the dish if necessary. It isn't installed yet and I was thinking I could have my father in law fabricate a mount or I would just use some EMT to convert the dish. Not sure which method would yield better results.

these are the plates that I have. The pictures are a bit fuzzy, but should be good enough. The O.D. of the plates is nine and a half inches and the hole in the middle looks to be an inch and a half. It shouldn't be more than a few bucks for me to ship them to you I'd think, if they might be something that would work.

Attachments

• P1010053.JPG
    P1010053.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010054.JPG
    P1010054.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010055.JPG
    P1010055.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 122
these are the plates that I have. The pictures are a bit fuzzy, but should be good enough. The O.D. of the plates is nine and a half inches and the hole in the middle looks to be an inch and a half. It shouldn't be more than a few bucks for me to ship them to you I'd think, if they might be something that would work.

I think that will work. I will take a look when i get home tonight on the measurements and let you know. Thank you for checking.

Reactions: . Raine
I just finished pulling everything out of the shed. I have 2 button hooks, a corotor, a post, and a complete H-H motor and gear works but no button hook base mount. Sorry.

I just finished pulling everything out of the shed. I have 2 button hooks, a corotor, a post, and a complete H-H motor and gear works but no button hook base mount. Sorry.

Thank you for looking. I think that A Raine has what I need.

I was able to bust through the rocky soil last weekend and managed to get the pole in the ground for my dish. I won't get back there until the 10th to try and get the dish actually mounted. I had taken a bunch of pictures of the install but my stupid phone went wonky and I lost the pictures. I'll try to remember to take a real camera with me next time.

I have the plates for the buttonhook (Thanks A Raine) but the center hole is a bit larger in diameter than the diameter of my buttonhook pole. I was planning to just use a sleeve to beef up the post to the proper diameter. I started out looking at aluminum but couldn't find the 1.5 OD, 1 3/8 ID that I needed readily available. I did see that there is polycarbonate tubing that meets those exact requirements. I've seen the stress tests on that stuff and it looks really impressive. It is just to support the buttonhook and LNB so I don't know how much force I am really concerned about here. Does anyone know of an alternative solution? I'm out $10 if it fails to produce the results I want but if there is a better option I'm willing to go with it.

Amazon product ASIN B000OMFMC0

I was able to bust through the rocky soil last weekend and managed to get the pole in the ground for my dish. I won't get back there until the 10th to try and get the dish actually mounted. I had taken a bunch of pictures of the install but my stupid phone went wonky and I lost the pictures. I'll try to remember to take a real camera with me next time.I have the plates for the buttonhook (Thanks A Raine) but the center hole is a bit larger in diameter than the diameter of my buttonhook pole. I was planning to just use a sleeve to beef up the post to the proper diameter. I started out looking at aluminum but couldn't find the 1.5 OD, 1 3/8 ID that I needed readily available. I did see that there is polycarbonate tubing that meets those exact requirements. I've seen the stress tests on that stuff and it looks really impressive. It is just to support the buttonhook and LNB so I don't know how much force I am really concerned about here. Does anyone know of an alternative solution? I'm out $10 if it fails to produce the results I want but if there is a better option I'm willing to go with it.Amazon product ASIN B000OMFMC0

How about this? It's 1.5"OD x 1.370" ID (only .005" smaller than 1 3/8" ID) and available cut to exact length you need): http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4575-8371-1-12-od-x-065-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx

Last edited:
How about this? It's 1.5"OD x 1.370" ID (only .005" smaller than 1 3/8" ID) and available cut to exact length you need): http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4575-8371-1-12-od-x-065-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx

I saw that. I was worried that the ID wouldn't allow me to slide it over the current pole. They have a warning on the site about making sure the diameter is is a little larger if you plan to telescope the pipe. I ordered stuff from them for my CNC machine. I might give it a try. It isn't too expensive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)