Buy Now or Wait

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cheffy

Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Hey all - new to the forum - lots of good stuff here.

My wife and I are buying a house in Danbury, CT and I can't wait to dump cable and get back to DirectTV (used to have it a few years back). With all the talk/rumors of the coming MPEG4 upgrade, I can't decide whether to get the HDTV/DVR setup now (eventually getting the upgrade from DTV) or wait for the MPEG4 DVRs to appear and then get in. What do you all think?

you can get a hd system now for practically nothing. d is trying to dump, give away, or whatever you want to call it, to have room for the new equipment. with that in mind, you make your own decision.

as i posted elsewhere, the tech who was at my house today said the mpeg4 stuff costs around $1,000 and it didn't seem plausible to him that they would trade that out for $99 equipemt. maybe, with a 2-year commitment. prices on new stuff is always way expensive until it has been out for awhile and it starts dropping.

iceturkee said:
you can get a hd system now for practically nothing. d is trying to dump, give away, or whatever you want to call it, to have room for the new equipment. with that in mind, you make your own decision.

as i posted elsewhere, the tech who was at my house today said the mpeg4 stuff costs around $1,000 and it didn't seem plausible to him that they would trade that out for $99 equipemt. maybe, with a 2-year commitment. prices on new stuff is always way expensive until it has been out for awhile and it starts dropping.
Hey DUDE! I wish you "STOP" it with this bogus info! The tech you talk to is WRONG! PERIOD! :mad: I have a friend who works for D*, not some dirt contractor, who confirmed a free MPEG4 swap out! Not to mention the other many similar reports from members and of course D* conference calls! I hate to burst your bubble but you cannot take the word of a service man. I mean come on! Taking his word is like listening to the french fry boy at McDonalds saying BigMacs are going to cost $7 bucks in 2006. ..... As for the inquirying newbie, iceturkee is right about the reduction in price for current HD equipment! However, his info about MPEG4 is wrong and inaccurate. If you invest now in a HD receiver, feel confident that it will be replaced for free with a new MPEG4 HD receiver when it rolls out in your DMA! :yes

cheffy said:
Hey all - new to the forum - lots of good stuff here.

My wife and I are buying a house in Danbury, CT and I can't wait to dump cable and get back to DirectTV (used to have it a few years back). With all the talk/rumors of the coming MPEG4 upgrade, I can't decide whether to get the HDTV/DVR setup now (eventually getting the upgrade from DTV) or wait for the MPEG4 DVRs to appear and then get in. What do you all think?

First, good choice on programming. I live in Danbury. Comcast's Danbury franchise is just plain shoddy. A neighbor of mine bought early this year after many years' homeonwership in Westchester, yet Comcast refused them service without 2 months' utility bills. Danbury Comcast still struts around as though they're the best and only show in town. In contrast, the D* fall promotions will definitely be attractive to you. Also, SBC has 3 MBps DSL for $25/month; acceptable home performance at a nice price.

MPEG4 is not rumored, it's happening. Rumors at this point only disagree on when it happens in each area, and when the mpeg4 HDDVR becomes available.

FYI: D* execs have been quoted in several places, stating that the initial mpeg4 upgrades will be free (new dish, new rcvr, including install).

Suggestion: go HD now without TiVO; as mpeg4 rolls-out, upgrade at no cost. Then when the HDDVR is avaialble, you can either swap-out the non-DVR unit, or move it to another room in the house.

I would not attempt to stick with the current HDTiVO until the mpeg4 HDDVR is available. Problem is that as new HD content rolls-out onto the mpeg4 sats, the HDTiVO won't be able to tune them in. Since Danbury is in the NY dma and slated for mpeg4 somewhere in the next 6 months, an HDTiVO would only be on life support (with out-of-pocket expense).

Buy Now. They are cheap and you will get a MPEG-4 HD STB free when they upgrade.

Buy now, they are cheap and this process could a little or a long while to implement. Either way you can't lose IMO.

jpn said:
MPEG4 is not rumored, it's happening. Rumors at this point only disagree on when it happens in each area, and when the mpeg4 HDDVR becomes available.
This is clear to me now, I should have said I was on the fence regarding the HDTivo now or wait, but you've cleared that up for me as well.
jpn said:
I would not attempt to stick with the current HDTiVO until the mpeg4 HDDVR is available. Problem is that as new HD content rolls-out onto the mpeg4 sats, the HDTiVO won't be able to tune them in. Since Danbury is in the NY dma and slated for mpeg4 somewhere in the next 6 months, an HDTiVO would only be on life support (with out-of-pocket expense).
Seems to be the best plan, though I will miss my DVR until the new one is available (DVR was the only thing Cablevision got right, along with YES in HD).
jpn said:
SBC has 3 MBps DSL for $25/month; acceptable home performance at a nice price.
This is a good deal also, the $50/month for Comcast cable modem per their website is ridiculous. Thanks for the info, I'll be checking this out as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts