Buy one 750GB or two 500 GB drives?

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I can get two Seagate Freeagent 500 GB drives for $214 including shipping, which seems the best $/GB out there, or for a little more get a 750 GB.

Is there any downside of using two drives? I thought having two is more flexible, I can play one and transfer on another one at the same time (I have two 622s), and even label one as movies and the other documentories, for example.

BTW anyone know if the Seagate Freeagent 500 GB has 16 MB cache? I read somewhere minimum of 16 MB is needed?

I can get two Seagate Freeagent 500 GB drives for $214 including shipping, which seems the best $/GB out there, or for a little more get a 750 GB.

Is there any downside of using two drives? I thought having two is more flexible, I can play one and transfer on another one at the same time (I have two 622s), and even label one as movies and the other documentories, for example.

BTW anyone know if the Seagate Freeagent 500 GB has 16 MB cache? I read somewhere minimum of 16 MB is needed?

I've got 2 of the 8MB cache models and they work just fine as far as transfer and playback go. If you get one of the FreeAgent drives just remember to disable sleep mode.

NightRyder

i like the two drive setup as well. One for movies, one for TV shows. One for you one for the misses, one for HD one for SD...the possibilities are endless. :D

Plus if, god forbid, one craps out you aren't looking at a complete loss.

I've got 2 of the 8MB cache models and they work just fine as far as transfer and playback go. If you get one of the FreeAgent drives just remember to disable sleep mode.

NightRyder

The ones I am looking at are 8mb then, why did I read here somewhere we need 16mb to avoid video glitches?

The ones I am looking at are 8mb then, why did I read here somewhere we need 16mb to avoid video glitches?

I went with two 500 gig Western Digiatal My Book Essential and they both work very well. I have both connected to the 622 using a manual USB switch from Monoprice that cost about $9.00. I would stay away from the Seagate models and the premium models of the Western Digitals.

I went with two 500 gig Western Digiatal My Book Essential and they both work very well. I have both connected to the 622 using a manual USB switch from Monoprice that cost about $9.00. I would stay away from the Seagate models and the premium models of the Western Digitals. The ones I got are 16mb.

Probably because someone was having playback problems with drive brand A with an 8 MB cache and another person also with drive brand A and a 16 MB cache was not having the same problems. That assumption may or may not apply to the brand they were using, but it doesn't apply to the Seagate FreeAgent drives.

NightRyder

I would stay away from the Seagate models and the premium models of the Western Digitals. The ones I got are 16mb.

Western Digital are good drives but so are Seagate, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either at a good enough price. Another thing to consider, the WD My Book drives have a 1 year warranty, the Seagate FreeAgent drives have a 5 year warranty. Once sleep mode is disabled, the FreeAgent drives work flawlessly with the 622/722. I have mine connected to the switched outlet on my A/V receiver so it's only on when my system is.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Western Digital are good drives but so are Seagate, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either at a good enough price. Another thing to consider, the WD My Book drives have a 1 year warranty, the Seagate FreeAgent drives have a 5 year warranty. Once sleep mode is disabled, the FreeAgent drives work flawlessly with the 622/722. I have mine connected to the switched outlet on my A/V receiver so it's only on when my system is.

NightRyder

+1 for Seagate in general. I am using Seagate internal 16mb buffer HD's in generic cases with perfect results.

I know I can find the answers by reading thought a book full of notes, but if you can give me a quick one on each:

1) Disable the sleep mode means what? Just modify a jumper or something more complicated?

2) How easy is to use an internal drive with a casing? I assume there are cases that can convert from internal AT to external USB, plug and play?

Thanks in advance.

I know I can find the answers by reading thought a book full of notes, but if you can give me a quick one on each:

1) Disable the sleep mode means what? Just modify a jumper or something more complicated?

2) How easy is to use an internal drive with a casing? I assume there are cases that can convert from internal AT to external USB, plug and play?

Thanks in advance.

1. It's through a utility program. You'll find a link and instructions here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1010231-post356.html

2. It's easy enough, you won't really save any money but you can get a actively cooled enclosure and potentially other benefits. If you go this route I would go with an SATA drive instead of AT.

NightRyder

All 3 of my EHD's are internal PATA Hard drives in cases. I like the idea of being able to pull out the drive if the case mechanism fails, plus I know EXACTLY what drive I have in there. Some of the pre-made external hard drives are not user serviceable so if the power supply dies you are S.O.L.

Plus the enclosures I have match the 622 really well.

All 3 of my EHD's are internal PATA Hard drives in cases. I like the idea of being able to pull out the drive if the case mechanism fails, plus I know EXACTLY what drive I have in there. Some of the pre-made external hard drives are not user serviceable so if the power supply dies you are S.O.L.

Plus the enclosures I have match the 622 really well.
can you show us your encosures? linkie dinkie???

tia

Amazon.com: Bytecc ME-720U2 - Storage enclosure - IDE - Hi-Speed USB: Electronics

Much cheaper on ebay.

I really like the activity light, not distracting. So it doesn't look like a jet taking off when it is dark.

Has the oxford 911 chipset (for firewire) and ALI for USB (i think - either way it works great with the 622). Some places I have seen it for sale say 300gb limit, but it works just fine with my 750gb.

Last edited:
No problem, if you want the user ID of the ebay seller that I have bought all three from, let me know and I will shoot you a PM.

I have a 750GB mybook Western Digital Drive and except for the need to activate my drive message after drive had idled down, it has been perfect. Now it doesn't even ask me that anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)