Buy Online or from a local dealer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

buchaneer

Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I'm totally new to this "Hobby" so I'm shopping. What's recommended in online vs local dealer purchases? Is it better to get in at the HD level or start with something cheaper?:confused:

Take a look at SatelliteGuys GOLD Sponsors at the top of the page.

Do you have any idea in what equipment you want to purchase? (Dish size etc.)

It might be better to start out with a SD receiver and if you like FTA or once your more experienced you can move on to a HD receiver. If you have a fast computer and don't mind using it you can also buy a DVB card for your computer to pick up HD and 4:2:2.

You should also expect with FTA there are a lot of feeds, programing that you have to search for, there are many constant channels but most of them are international. FTA is not like Dish Network or DirecTV where specific channels are always available.

I'm totally new to this "Hobby" so I'm shopping. What's recommended in online vs local dealer purchases? Is it better to get in at the HD level or start with something cheaper?:confused:

I would say if you can afford it, get an HD. If you start with SD, you are going to end up wanting an HD anyway. Then you end up buying two receivers and spending more money. If you're a sports fan looking for feeds you won't be able to watch the HD feeds with an SD only box.

I agree . . .

Ya didn't say where you are located.
If you're near someone we know, we'll send you right over. :)

If you do find a "local" dealer, make sure he has a broad line of equipment and supplies.
That way you have more choices.

If you are at all handy with tools, the install isn't too hard, and you can do it yourself.
The nice members here have helped many find their way to FTA satisfaction...and in some cases: addiction. :)
...so, a local dealer/installer isn't necessary.

There is nothing wrong with ordering from some of the big (or small) internet dealers.
If you'll run a prospective shopping list by the gang here, I'm sure you'll get pointers to help ya.

I'd love HD, too, but before you choose from the few receivers available, know what you are expecting and what you are getting.
There's PBS, and there are sports feeds... and if I've forgotten anything, someone will post it. :)
So, if you were looking for more in HD, that's not happening right now.
At least not on Ku band (small 30..36" dishes).
Of course, some HD receivers also get HD local reception, if that's useful to you.

Have you looked at any of the satellite lists, and determined which one or more satellites you'd like to monitor?
What sort of programming do you seek?

I have a local dealer that I've purchased electronics from for many years. However, with the big demand for HD receivers, he's having problems getting much right now. He'll maintain it for me anyway but I'm wondering if I should go Internet purchase. I live in Newfoundland, Canada so I'm on the eastern fringe of N. America. What size dish will I need. Room for a large dish is not a problem. What should I look for in a HD receiver?

Dish size for Ku can range from 30" (76CM) to 1.2 meters and over. Anything above a 36" (90CM) dish becomes VERY expensive to ship. However, if you can find a larger dish locally, by all means, get it. Larger is always better. One idea is to look for abandoned dishes on buildings being demolished or renovated. It is often easy to secure such a dish by simply asking for it, and the dishes used on most businesses for VSAT (credit card transactions, etc.) work well for Ku.

I wish we had a local dealer nearby. I've wondered why retailers like Best Buy or Radio Shack don't sell dish equipment other than Dish Network or DirecTV stuff.

FTA at big store chains?

I've wondered why retailers like Best Buy or Radio Shack don't sell dish equipment other than Dish Network or DirecTV stuff.
Radio Shack and WalMart used to sell Dish self-install kits.
I think they quit, a couple of years ago.
Compared to FTA, Dish is real easy to install and align.
You can actually read the manual and do a passable Dish install... after a bit of practice.
For FTA, ya really need the support places like this forum offers.

Can you imagine the typical 19 year old Radio Shack employee being asked: "now, just how to I tune-up this hear dish?"
My buddy who's a (rare and talented) store manager could help.
But he's doing good to teach the high-turnover staff, what cable to give you to hook up your DVD player.

The employees at WalMart are not capable of helping , either.
And that's no insult to either retailer.
It's just a fact of the situation they are in.

edit:
Scary to hear that our credit card transactions might be transmitted via satellite.
I think it's more secure and tamper resistant.
In California, every liquor store or anywhere else that sells state lottery tickets, has a DirectPC (?) dish on the roof!
If that ever changes, there'll be a glut of 36x22 (?) dishes surplussed, that'll rival the Primestar decade!

I have a local dealer and purchase from him whenever I can, always great to have local tech support when possible and keeps the little guy in business.

Man, if I had a even semi-local dealer, I'd spend too much time there. Which of course, money would follow. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts