Buyer Beware " First Strike Meter Clones"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sergei

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
iowa
For those that haven't figured it out yet the clone manufactures are busy making copies of the FS1 meter. If it doesn't say First Strike Meters on the face plate then you are getting a clone and Ebay has a ton of them for sale. Today I came across a model that I thought was something new from them, but after Emailing First Strike it appears now another company by the name of Orbit Trackers is selling a clone under the model name of Tracker Light. At first I thought they might have a manufacturing agreement but I was told that's not the case. Just a clone! If you have any questions just email them at First Strike Meters [sales@firststrikemeters.com].

LOL!

Since when is an OEM product a clone?

DMSI contracted with a manufacturer to produce a branded name and model of a unit that the manufacturer developed and offers to any OEM customer. Another company has contracted the manufacturer to produce the same item with their brand and model.

The unit that you found on eBay is an OEM branded meter distributed by a DMSI competitor. An OEM product sold under a different brand and model is not a clone.

Last edited:
I not sure what your talking about, but the First Strike Meter "CLONE" that I found and then verified with the company that it was a copy and that NO other company had rights to manufacture it. All you have to do is look at the meter that's listed on Ebay and being sold by Virtual Village out of Hong Kong, same display as the First Strike, same keyboard layout and it's using the older software.

Pro Digital Satellite Finder Sat Signal Meter MF-1900 | eBay

Digital Satellite finder (MF-1900) products, buy Digital Satellite finder (MF-1900) products from alibaba.com

So for those in doubt then compare the above meter against the First Strike and then make your own decision!

I not sure what your talking about

I was referencing the Orbit Trackers, Tracker Light meter that was the mentioned "clone" in your post.

The Tracker Light model is an OEM meter built for Orbital Systems. Orbital Systems company has been around for several years and distributes five OEM build meters.

As for the model that you found on eBay, I agree with you that one should never buy a product directly from the exporting country and bypass the distributor and the reseller. Doesn't matter if the product is a clone or not..... You are encouraging products to be moved out the back door of legit factories and also often supporting the factories that steal intellectual property!

Last edited:
sergej

You may need to pay MORE attention to details of your discoveries, and also listen to other forum members' opinions with some share of trust. For example, the company you referred to as a manufacturer of First Strike Meter (firststrikemeters.com) offers a website that says nothing about the company itself, including their address. It appears to be a New Zealand dealer of a product, developed and made by whom? Did you also find any shred of proof that this product is in fact protected by US patents and brand names, thus prohibiting its sale in the US by anyone else other than that website? These all are basic and legit questions, a person without own agenda would need to ask himself before offering his suggestions to other forum members. :) I personally would be interested to see any proof. Keep in mind also, its not unusual for a dealer to suggest some improvements to a product manufacturer, which however by itself does not create legal grounds to prohibit someone else to sell that same improved product. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind buying "rebadged" products. There are plenty of examples out there, even in the broadcast gear market.

One of these days, I'll get a meter... Probably a Trimax.

I remember a few years ago that company came to me and wanted me to sell their meters direct here for a lot less then what others are charging for them. (I declined)

A lot (most.. but not all) of the clones out there are made by the same company they just have a different sticker on them. (and in some cases like this meter they load different software.)

I guess, for a casual user, a laptop with a cheap USB Sat tuner like QQ-Box and FastSatFinder or similar software installed would be a better choice than such expensive meter. For a professional dish installer the meter is suited better, then again you guys are correct - the model choice is important. :)

I was referencing the Orbit Trackers, Tracker Light meter that was the mentioned "clone" in your post.

The Tracker Light model is an OEM meter built for Orbital Systems. Orbital Systems company has been around for several years and distributes five OEM build meters.

As for the model that you found on eBay, I agree with you that one should never buy a product directly from the exporting country and bypass the distributor and the reseller. Doesn't matter if the product is a clone or not..... You are encouraging products to be moved out the back door of legit factories and also often supporting the factories that steal intellectual property!

This is the meter that I original was talking about , but took me a while to find my original email to First Strike. ,and this is the reply that I received from First Strike .

Untitled Document Web site

Thanks for contacting us and thanks for your interest in our meters.

It's a copy. Look at it closely. They tried to copy a older model. It may look the same but it is not a First Strike Meter.
First thing to look for is, does it have 2 digits or 3 digits in the upper left Azimuth window? Does their Azimuth work?
Click here to see some of the advantages of our meter.

They can make it look the same, but it is very difficult to copy our technology. First Strike Meters technology is light years ahead of any meter in it's price range.

Let me know if we can be of more help to you.

Support

On 3/25/2011 11:47 AM,
I came across a meter being sold by Orbitaltracker which is called a Tracker Light which looks just like your meter as even the displays are the same. Is this your meter but under a manufacturing agreement or just another clone?

Last edited:
The 2 different websites that you for some reason mixed together have one obvious thing in common - they seems to refuse providing their address or any info about the company. There are other ways to find such info, but a genuine manufacturer would be eager to provide such info right on their website to inspire some trust. There is no indication whatsoever that any of these companies holds a lawful monopoly on selling these meters in North America. There is even less indication, any of these companies in fact developed these meters or manufacture them.

zamar23
Look at the bottom of the web page and if you have more questions email them and get their phone number and call them as I did. They will give you a list of dealer and if in doubt then do a reverse on the fax number (770-529-6840) and you come back to DMS International (770-529-6800) which is marketing the meter and they will be happy to answer any questions for you.. The First Strike meter is a DMSI item but is manufactured for the overseas, again you can call and ask. I did my research before so now maybe you should also!

sergej

I have no problem finding, who distributors and product manufacturers are in any country. There are significant discrepancies between your first and subsequent posts that I also noted without a problem, failing so far to find any common logic in this whole discussion you started, and from one your post to another. :) More, while every distrib is claiming, this is "their" meter, I'm pretty sure, the same CN factory makes these meters for all mentioned in this thread market participants. Can you prove opposite - and you are expected to before suggesting not to buy goods from a certain seller? :) Now, since you suddenly started mentioning DMSI lately, I failed to see their monopoly on the above meter on US market. Prove that as well please... Keep in mind though, I don't sell any meters, but support free trade as a matter of principle. And would be extremely happy to see more US companies selling their own advanced products abroad instead of importing these products from China under local labels.

Last edited:
OK, I see what the problem is and the error is on my part as I put the wrong name in my first posting as I put Orbit instead of ORBITAL in my first posting. Now I see why this posting got so far off base. Sorry about that!

OK, I see what the problem is and the error is on my part as I put the wrong name in my first posting as I put Orbit instead of ORBITAL in my first posting.

It doesn't matter if the meter was called the meter Orbit or Orbital. The problem is that you keep stating that the "Tracker Light" is a clone. I have no affiliation with this company, but I do understand marketing BS and how easy it can be to discredit another OEM importer with the suggestion that their product is somehow inferior and is a "CLONE".

DMSI contracts a manufacturer to place their "FS1" label on a meter. Orbital Tracker contracts a manufacturer to place their "Tracker Light" label on a meter. Both companies are buying a meter that is manufactured for any company to place their label on.... The process for a company to contract a manufacturer to produce a product under their own brand and model (with or without changes in the firmware) is called OEM.

I know nothing of the DM-1900 origin, but it may just be another company producing an OEM version of the same product from the same factory. I simply would not choose to buy the ebay version DM-1900 from Hong Kong as it is by-passing the distribution chain for the North American market.

I just got off the phone with DMSI and had a nice conversation with Tim Heinrichs who is the Owner/CEO about the meter from OrbitalTracker model Tracker Light and he verified that it is an older copy (CLONE) of their meter and they've given no one rights to copy or manufacture their meter, but since when has that stop the Chinese companies.
So if anyone has questions about this then give DMSI a call at 1-770-529-6800 which is the sales number and ask to talk with Tim and he has no problem talking about this issue.

clone
A copy; in microcomputer terminology; a look-alike, act-alike computer that contains the same microprocessor and runs the same programs as a better known, more prestigious, and often more expensive machine.

I just remembered something Tim mentioned this afternoon and that was if anyone has brought a Clone, copy or under whatever name you want to call it, if it's not a First Strike Meter "DO NOT" attempt to download their software on the meter. If you do then you will be the owner of a very expense doorstop...period! As it seem some people have tried already and needless to say they are not very happy.

Ummmm, OK.......

I am just a neutral party on the meter "clone" issue. I have no vested interest on the success or failure of either product.

Just thought that members might be interested. :dead

I am glad to see that Tim is providing an enhanced experience with their software experience. Making your product stand out among the crowd. That is what OEM development is all about! Tim is a very knowledgeable and talented guy. I am sure that the FS1 will continue to be a great meter with excellent function!

Last edited:
LOL!

Since when is an OEM product a clone?

DMSI contracted with a manufacturer to produce a branded name and model of a unit that the manufacturer developed and offers to any OEM customer. Another company has contracted the manufacturer to produce the same item with their brand and model.

The unit that you found on eBay is an OEM branded meter distributed by a DMSI competitor. An OEM product sold under a different brand and model is not a clone.
Thanks for the clarification, even though I own an original first strike meter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)