Buyers Remorse

freakedout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I got carried away ordering for my families new vacation home
I have Dish at home. Just a 722k. My family has a new lake house that has 3 bedrooms and the living room. I have a little "buyers remorse". I ordered a hopper and three Joeys.I originally was thinking that I do not need DVRs for all four rooms. The install and the equipment are free. Especially since we won't all be there at the same time a lot. Do you have a recommendation on what I probably should have ordered? I get a little excited at the thought of having a new gadget to play with and end up with buyers remorse.

Well, most people don't go to a vacation home just to watch tv. That could be more where the remorse comes in.

I would suggest the bare minimum, meaning a single hopper, or even going with a non-dvr, such as a 211k or the like. You can add a drive to that to make a single tuner dvr.

Get out and enjoy the surrounding area, don't spend a lot of time there watching tv!

Having a DVR based system is an advantage in a recreation environment. You can play outside as much as you want and still watch the shows you want.

I don't think the Hopper/Joey system was a bad decision.

I got carried away ordering for my families new vacation home
I have Dish at home. Just a 722k. My family has a new lake house that has 3 bedrooms and the living room. I have a little "buyers remorse". I ordered a hopper and three Joeys.I originally was thinking that I do not need DVRs for all four rooms. The install and the equipment are free. Especially since we won't all be there at the same time a lot. Do you have a recommendation on what I probably should have ordered? I get a little excited at the thought of having a new gadget to play with and end up with buyers remorse.

I think you made a great choice....Do you know you can use one of those hoppers and make it wireless? Maybe on a nice day or night sit outside and watch a ball game?.... I loved my hopper I think dish has the best equipment and without a doubt software in satellite TV!!!!

Maybe you could cut back a Joey or two if you won't all be there at same time?

I think you made a great choice....Do you know you can use one of those hoppers and make it wireless? Maybe on a nice day or night sit outside and watch a ball game?.... I loved my hopper I think dish has the best equipment and without a doubt software in satellite TV!!!!
What do you need for a wireless Joey to be installed?

You need a dish wireless access point and a wireless joey. I would recommend trading one of the joeys for a second HWS. Especially if you are going to have multiple families using at the same time you will need more tuners.

What do you need for a wireless Joey to be installed?

A simple wifi adapter plugged into your joey....Now not supported by dish, but works great...like $25 through dish...

You need a dish wireless access point and a wireless joey. I would recommend trading one of the joeys for a second HWS. Especially if you are going to have multiple families using at the same time you will need more tuners.

Much cheaper ways, and very reliable....As I had this setup, and my friend still running in on back patio...

If there are 4 TVs, there is no better option, unless there is a need for all 4 to be watching separate programming. In that case the most economical upgrade would be to trade one of the Joeys for a SuperJoey and the you'd have 5 tuners. 4 TVs, 4 boxes for independent HD - no better way to go than Hopper/Joey system.

Reactions: AZ.
We started with 1h+3j and the 3 tuners quickly got occupied during multiprogram record time.
We changed to 2h+2j and use one hopper as the primary dvr and the joeys are linked to the other hopper for always available tuners.
We have since added another joey for 2h+3j without occupied tuner issues.

Why do you even need a separate account at the new lake home? Do you really need more bills every month?

Just install another Dish up there and take your receiver from home back and fourth.

Why pay for a Hopper and all the Joeys when you will only be using it a few days out of the month when you go up there? Besides that, do you really need a TV in all the rooms?

I would take my receiver back and fourth and only put a TV in the main room, and if anything order internet service if you want to pay a monthly bill every month up there.

Reactions: Mr Tony and Tampa8
You can own your Joeys, they're not expensive, and deactivate and deactivate at will, saving a few bucks.

Why do you even need a separate account at the new lake home? Do you really need more bills every month?

Just install another Dish up there and take your receiver from home back and fourth.

Why pay for a Hopper and all the Joeys when you will only be using it a few days out of the month when you go up there? Besides that, do you really need a TV in all the rooms?

I would take my receiver back and fourth and only put a TV in the main room, and if anything order internet service if you want to pay a monthly bill every month up there.

This is exactly what I would suggest. No sense in paying a second bill when you won't be there enough to watch TV. Just bring a receiver with you. Go and purchase a 211 receiver so you can activate it and deactivate whenever you want.

Reactions: Mr Tony
OP, I think you did well with your choice. I sometimes get buyers remorse, then after some time, I realize I got it right. It's just hard spending our hard earned money, but you WILL experience the advantages to your decision with some circumstances for which you will be grateful for having gone the extra install.

If after some time, you feel you don't need one of the 3 Joey's, I've heard that some people return the 3rd Joey, but I would ask others on this forum about that.

If you pop a wi-fi dongle in one of the Joeys, you can get rid of the other two Joeys, and save $14/mo.
You can then bring the Joey to whichever room you need it.
You're not really watching 4 TV's simultaneously at a vacation home, are you?

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)