Buying a Coolsat 5000-help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

agrolingua

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
NE WI
Since finding this website a few weeks ago I have found the info interesting and enticing. So much so that I was thinking of picking up a Coolsat 5000 and setting up a simple FTA system. Maybe get a Winegard dish and go from there.

In looking at a few Coolsat 5K's on the web there are a couple things I am not quite clear on. First, they talk about clones. What do they mean? Are there other receivers out there branded as Coolsat 5000 that are fake? Or, are there other name branded receivers that are knockoffs of Coolsat? How do you tell the difference?

The second thing is a lot of information on sites with BIN files, etc. I am not sure what they mean? I have an idea though. I just want to make sure that if I buy a used receiver that there are not some files out there that I need to make the box work for true FTA. If someone says it is a working receiver, will it serve my purpose of wathcing FTA?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. $50 seems to be a going price for a used 5000. Does that seem reasonable?

Welcome to the club ! :)
There are "clone" CS5000's out there, but I suspect that if someone says it's a real one, it probably is. The Bin file issue is generally related to TV piracy , but the genuine factory bin file is readily available to load into your box, if it's necessary. If it is sold as a working reciever, it will work out for you, but my advice is to buy with a credit card, so you have some real recourse if the box is not "as advertised" when you receive it. I bought one several months ago for $47 shipped, so your price is in the ballpark. It is a very satisfactory receiver .
See if you can get the rs-232 cable with it, for loading of the factory file, if necessary, and using the channel editor.
:)

Since finding this website a few weeks ago I have found the info interesting and enticing. So much so that I was thinking of picking up a Coolsat 5000 and setting up a simple FTA system. Maybe get a Winegard dish and go from there.
sounds like a good system

The second thing is a lot of information on sites with BIN files, etc. I am not sure what they mean? I have an idea though. I just want to make sure that if I buy a used receiver that there are not some files out there that I need to make the box work for true FTA. If someone says it is a working receiver, will it serve my purpose of wathcing FTA?

yes it will work. And you can always reload the factory software back into the receiver :)

I recently bought a Coolsat 5000 that did not have the original software. I told the guy I wanted the factory software. He happily loaded it for me before I paid him. Never hurts to ask.

Good Point ! Unless you're dealing with an idiot, the seller should try to acommodate reasonable requests. We frequently seem to worry about the worst things that can happen ( a natural enough thing, I suppose ). I've had very good luck in my dealings on ebay, but, of course I only deal with people with pristine reputations, and use a credit card for payment. CYA .
:)

Clone

Still a little confused about the clones. Are they identical knockoffs labelled Coolsat? Or, are they something like what you might find in the night market in HongKong, maybe labelled Koolsat.

At the moment I am dealing with a guy that has one for sale on Craigslist. He seems OK. I have not asked him to update the software. Perhaps I will do that if I buy from him. He said the cable is included.

I have bought couple things on Craigslist from distant sellers. Frankly, that is sort of how eBay was when it first started. Before the days of Paypal. Pretty much was based on a lot of trust. In fact I have been using Paypal on these Craigslist purchases. Works out well. I had a guy this past month that never sent the item. I opened a dispute on Paypal and the item showed up after 2 days.

Still a little confused about the clones. Are they identical knockoffs labelled Coolsat? Or, are they something like what you might find in the night market in HongKong, maybe labelled Koolsat.
A little of both. It will be labeled "Coolsat" usually made with cheaper quality parts like chips, capacitors, and such.

Given a choice.

I had my heart set on a Coolsat 5000 and even found one at a good price (I have not bought it yet). But, tonight I found a guy selling a whole system. Winegard dish, possible a SG2100 motor (hope it is not a fake) and not sure about the LMB. But, the receiver is a new Traxis DBS 3500.

If I can get that system for under $200 should I grab it? I am making a big trade off taking a Traxis instead of a Coolsat?

The other option would be to buy the system and sell the Traxis on eBay or Craigslist and use the Coolsat.

Does 200 include the shipping? If so, I might say go for it. Which winegard dish? If its the 76cm dish, I've seen 'em for about 50-60dollars, the traxis is prob about 70-80 , lnbf 15-20dollars....avg lnbf. Check Sadoun and the other sponsors for their system prices, you might find they are in the same range for similar equip. Links at top of the pages here.

I found this locally on Craigslist. So, shipping should be zilch and I guess I can look it over before handing over the cash. He also says he would help (whatever that means) with installation. The posting says the whole system is still in the box (new).

Does 200 include the shipping? If so, I might say go for it. Which winegard dish? If its the 76cm dish, I've seen 'em for about 50-60dollars, the traxis is prob about 70-80 , lnbf 15-20dollars....avg lnbf. Check Sadoun and the other sponsors for their system prices, you might find they are in the same range for similar equip. Links at top of the pages here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)