Buying a receiver from Best Buy question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

1nonly

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Currently I have four receivers, three standard and one HD-DVR. I would like to go to the nearest Best Buy or Costo and buy an HD receiver to replace one of my standard receivers. My question is this. Knowit the newly bought receiver is a lease, how does DirecTV handle this. What happens to the replaced SD receiver? When is the newly bought HD receiver activated?

Basically I want to do a straight swap. What are the particulars to doing this?

All you need to do is call Directv after hooking up the receiver and ask them to activate it. You will need to give them the serial numbers of the receiver and access card. You can deactivate your SD receiver at the same time. If the SD receiver was leased, they will send you a box to return it (prepaid FedEx). Otherwise, do whatever you want with it.

Thanks for the quick reply. More info thrown at ya now...

I started service about 3 weeks ago but cash was tight so I didn't get the HD receiver at start up. But with tax returns coming shortly I want to upgrade. Will getting that previously mentioned HD receiver as a replacement alter my current contract in any way? Also, since the SD receiver that is being replaced is a leased receiver will Directv send the shipping box to my service address or mailing address as I would prefer the mailing address? Afterschool kids really %&$*# with the mail around here so I would prefer the mailing address. Any insights?

DirecTV has not asked for any of my deactivated receivers in an upgrade. Some say they do, but I've got a few that they never have.

Yes, your committment will be extended to two years from the time you activate the new receiver. Your store receipt will probably have that information printed on it, in very small print.

Don't know about the shipping thing.

Thank you, paulman182. Appreciate the reply. Better get to work on that upgrade swap since it's so early on in my initial committment time, right? ;)

Thanks for the quick reply. More info thrown at ya now...

I started service about 3 weeks ago but cash was tight so I didn't get the HD receiver at start up. But with tax returns coming shortly I want to upgrade. Will getting that previously mentioned HD receiver as a replacement alter my current contract in any way? Also, since the SD receiver that is being replaced is a leased receiver will Directv send the shipping box to my service address or mailing address as I would prefer the mailing address? Afterschool kids really %&$*# with the mail around here so I would prefer the mailing address. Any insights?
Adding a new HD receiver to the account will start a new 24 mo. commitment but seeing you are only in your 1st month it won't change much. D* uses Fedex for the recovery kit so it can't be sent to your mailing address,:)

Since you are new - DTV will charge you another $50 to activate on top of the $99 for the receiver. Be aware of that. There are plenty of threads on this - just do a quick search. This fee will not be waived.

Since you are new - DTV will charge you another $50 to activate on top of the $99 for the receiver. Be aware of that. There are plenty of threads on this - just do a quick search. This fee will not be waived.

Is this true even if I want to deactivate one of my SD receivers and replace it with an HD one? Technically, i'm not adding a receiver, just swapping one.

They waived my $50 fee. I bought the DVR at best buy, hooked it up, called D*, and they turned it on for free. But, they did send me a box to return my old H20, postage pre-paid by them.

They waived my $50 fee. I bought the DVR at best buy, hooked it up, called D*, and they turned it on for free. But, they did send me a box to return my old H20, postage pre-paid by them.

The $50 for a very new account is only true if you order the receiver directly from DirecTV. If you buy from BB or Costco, no such charge. Also DirecTV should install it for you for free.

For some of you it is a straight self hookup, but for me I needed a 6x8 switch to add the additional receiver.

Thank you for all the responses. It's all clear now. :)

1nonly said:
"Also, since the SD receiver that is being replaced is a leased receiver will Directv send the shipping box to my service address or mailing address as I would prefer the mailing address? Afterschool kids really %&$*# with the mail around here so I would prefer the mailing address. Any insights?"

Good one! ;)

Good one! ;)

I've had outdoor landscape lighting broken in the daytime by Jr. High school kids. Had UPS packages opened by them and thrown about the front yard. Had the garage door egged and just last week had my truck vandalized. And no, it's not me getting picked on as others on the block have had similar done to them. Kids here are eff'd up. Sounds like an elaborate way to say I want something mailed to another area for whatever reason. Sounds like shenanagans on my part, i know, but it's a reality here. Thus, packages never come to the service address anymore of any kind whenever possible to avoid. THat inludes USPS, FEDex, and UPS. There is no motive here, other than to avoid having mail stolen. Definitely not a "good one!".

HOwever, if I was on the outside looking in I would think my scenario was one of those things that make you go "hmmmmm...." too.

I did ask a directv rep if they could send a return box to the mailing address and they said, "yes."

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)