Buying a used receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
So far I'm 1 for 1 on buying used from Ebay when it comes to FTA, cause obviously my Coolsat 4000 is in good shape.

What are the dangers of buying a used receiver that was once tinkered with but needs a factory reset. Is there that small chance a receiver can be damaged internally by someone trying to tinker with D* or E*?

I wanna get another receiver for grandma so she can watch RTN during the day and not have to see re-runs of Maury, Montel and Dr. Phil.

This sounds like a dumb question but I just wanna be sure before I bid and/or buy anything.

Hehe, this is post # 69!

Last edited:
I don't think the software is an issue for real FTA reception. I noticed a few auctions for receivres that did not include a remote. Some receivers (including mine) require a remote for setup and programming. When I purchased my receiver from ebay the seller guaranteed the unit to be working and in good condition.

If the unit that you buy off ebay dosn't work, there is a jumper that you can buy off ebay that bypasses the serial port so you can load the factory software. I have never had to do this maybe Iceberg or one of the tech guys up here has some knowledge about it.:)

I believe what rdel is trying to point out is the Jtag port of a receiver. Do a search on JTAG and you will have almost all you need to know about that.

I bought 2 receivers off ebay so far. A coolsat 5000 (a while ago) and a Fortec Mercury II (very nice IMO). I have never had issues with them or anything I bought off ebay. I only deal with people that have been selling for a while though. I got them both for well below retail, both were brand new also.

Also, read descriptions throughly. I bid on a couple items (not receivers) and when they arrived I thought stuff was missing. I was about to complain until I re-read the item and they even said things were not there. So I learned a lesson there.

Edit:

Sorry was trying to edit this when my connection went down. Anyways, I wanted to add that the coolsat I bought was a tampered with receiver before n2 came out, then the bottom fell out of the fta market so I snatched up a receiver cheap while I could. I got it and just reflashed it with the factory files and it works fine for fta.

Last edited:
most bvoxes can be reflashed with factory software. I've done that with a couple boxes I got for cheap off Ebay

But make sure a remote comes with it :)

I've been buying and selling on eBay for 6 years now.. Besides reading the complete description as mentioned above the most important thing is to check the sellers feedback..

Most sellers are honest..

I bought my Coolsat on e-bay, but it was new. I would be a little worried about buying one of the "clone" receivers used... ones that have names like Cool-Tec, or Pan-Sec or something. Who knows where you would find the factory software if you needed to reset it.

A new Traxis might not cost much more than a used receiver.

Remotes can be bought on ebay too. My Pansat 3500s remote zoinks out on me now and then because it's been dropped a few too many times. Got a second remote off of ebay. Total cost, with shipping was about 12-13.00. Not bad. The only thing the new remote lacks is the universal tv optional stuff... everything else works perfect.

a couple that I know of

Pantec (Pansat Fortec)
CooCoo (Coolsat)

Some are clones but the company says it isn't. One of which is a KUSat 2600. Its the exact same look as a Digiwave 7000 with a KUsat name and different software in it that says KUSat

But some say Pansat or Coolsat but are cheap knock offs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts