Buying an HDTV soon, what should I do re: E*?

Sicemdawgs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Suwanee, GA
I have been an E* customer for 2.5 years. After my 1 year commitment, I extended for 2 years to obtain the 510 for free. Right now I have the 510 and a 301.

I plan to purchase an HDTV early in 2005. I'm wondering what I should do for an HD E* receiver. The 921 is at a decent price now, but it is still buggy and I see that no name-based recording will be available.

I could wait for the 942 to lease/own, but who knows when that will be.

Is it possible to keep my 510 and then run an 811 to the same tv? That way I could view HD and still keep my PVR function, although I couldn't PVR any HD channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Welcome to satelliteguys :wave

You would not be the first with this setup. Every HDTV out there has multiple HD / SD inputs, so this is "doable"

You would need to account for the coax lines coming in (add one for the 811), or diplex.

I'll leave the "get away from dish" rants to others - I'm biased right now (drooling over an HD Tivo)

I would think that you could lease an 811 with their Dishin It Up program. It is only $5/month, which replaces their normal 'extra receiver' fee so the cost is basically $0 (except for possible shipping or installation, but I think installation is free).

Check with Dish re: their Dish'n it up Promo. You may be able to lease an 811 and be out no money. They replace the additional receiver fee with the lease fee and it's a wash.

On the 12/13/04 Charlie Chat, Charlie Ergin stated that all future HDTV channels on DISH Network would be in MPEG 4 format. The 6000,811,921 and future 942 will not support MPEG4 so all you will be able to receive is the half dozen channels currently being broadcast. That is why you are being given the advice to leave DISH for Directv or Voom. Right now Directv is forcasting the ability of using Ka satellites to increase the number of HDTV channels they will be able to deliver without changing the receivers we are now using. :)

i am going to stop defending dish when the direct tv people come over and bash them. i am also no longer recommedning them. i guess the direct tv people have a point when they say the few extra bucks they spend a month is worth it.

If you wanted to stay I'd suggest leasing an 811 (because it's basically free). Don't pay for anymore dish equipment that's for sure.

You'll get screwed if you BUY any future receivers from DISH . They are going all lease in the future and that will be the only way anyone should go with Dish. That way there is no commitment with Dish and nothing to buy. You just send the receivers back when you are through and then you are done. I bought basically a 1000.00 boat anchor ( 921 hd dvr) that will not work with any future hd channels Dish adds and no namebased recording features either. Total Bullsh!t. :mad:

Speaking for all of us who have been disappointed and burned by Dish broken promises, I believe that the only rational approach is to ask yourself if a 921 or other piece of equipment you might be thinking of buying is worth the money for what you get right now, complete with bugs and no upgrades. If the answer is and unqualified yes, go for it. Otherwise wait for a lease situation or switch to another service. Don't count on bug fixes, new features, or trade ups for new equipment to make the investment worth it.

Thanks guys. I really like E* right now for SD on my Sony 35" CRT, but it doesn't look good when switching to HD. If only I didn't get that 510, I wouldn't be in love with PVR.

I guess the best option is to just wait and see what happens. In the meantime, I could lease the 811 and keep the 510 to record programs I miss, although not in HD. But then I'll have to keep my locals through E* or I won't be able to PVR them. Dang this is confusing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)