Buying and Replacing Joey to Save Monthly Fee

They can’t tax programming in this state- that would be a satellite tax, which we most definitely do not have. Only the portion of the bill which is “leased equipment” is taxable. I think I might be uncovering a scam here....
If you look in the fine print on page 2 of your monthly Dish bill, you will see that there is a $9 per month lease fee for the first receiver included in the price of your programming package. So, even if there is no tax on the actual programming portion of your package, you still have to account for that $9, on top of any other equipment fees, when trying to calculate the percentage of the tax. Hope that helps.

If you look in the fine print on page 2 of your monthly Dish bill, you will see that there is a $9 per month lease fee for the first receiver included in the price of your programming package. So, even if there is no tax on the actual programming portion of your package, you still have to account for that $9, on top of any other equipment fees, when trying to calculate the percentage of the tax. Hope that helps.

$9 plus $15? I don’t get it.

Still, how is a DVR fee a lease fee? Leasing the programming? Certainly not the equipment.

Still, how is a DVR fee a lease fee? Leasing the programming? Certainly not the equipment.
It is a required fee just for having a leased DVR on the account. If the DVR was purchased, there would still be a required DVR fee, but the fee would not be taxed. It seems that the tax is on anything that is not specifically "programming," but only applies if the equipment is leased.

As has been said, you can avoid one receiver fee by buying an Amazon Fire stick.I did just that and returned one Joey to Dish for a savings of $7 per month. Note that one H2 or H3 can only support one Amazon Fire Stick at a time.

Hey Jim. I just came across this thread and your post. Can you elaborate a bit on what you did and how it works? I assume that the Fire Stick gets plugged into a USB port on the TV, and the Hopper 3 streams to it?? Do you have to use the H3's remote while facing that TV to change channels or see the guide? Is that practical?
I have 3 Joey's and I need to bring down my bill somehow.

Hey Jim. I just came across this thread and your post. Can you elaborate a bit on what you did and how it works? I assume that the Fire Stick gets plugged into a USB port on the TV, and the Hopper 3 streams to it?? Do you have to use the H3's remote while facing that TV to change channels or see the guide? Is that practical?
I have 3 Joey's and I need to bring down my bill somehow.

I'm not Jim, but I can elaborate a bit since I have 2 Fire Sticks. First, your H3 needs to be connected to your home internet router. Second, the Fire Stick(s) need to be connected to the same network as the H3. Third, you download the Dish Anywhere app on the Fire Stick itself. Then, you use the Fire Stick remote to access the guide, DVR recordings etc.

The Fire Stick plugs into an empty HDMI port on your TV. I do not suggest using the TV's USB port to power it. Use the included adapter and charging wire that comes with the Fire Stick.

Reactions: NABRIL
I'm not Jim, but I can elaborate a bit since I have 2 Fire Sticks. First, your H3 needs to be connected to your home internet router. Second, the Fire Stick(s) need to be connected to the same network as the H3. Third, you download the Dish Anywhere app on the Fire Stick itself. Then, you use the Fire Stick remote to access the guide, DVR recordings etc.

The Fire Stick plugs into an empty HDMI port on your TV. I do not suggest using the TV's USB port to power it. Use the included adapter and charging wire that comes with the Fire Stick.

Thanks Numb...so, in essence, the fire stick "behaves" as a Joey? You power it on with its own remote, and you can access the guide, DVR, etc with it. Do you get the Dish UI on the screen as if it were a Joey? Can you use the stick's remote to power on and change the volume of the TV?

Thanks Numb...so, in essence, the fire stick "behaves" as a Joey? You power it on with its own remote, and you can access the guide, DVR, etc with it. Do you get the Dish UI on the screen as if it were a Joey? Can you use the stick's remote to power on and change the volume of the TV?

The UI is not the same as the Joey, it's different, but not in a bad way. You cannot use the Fire Stick remote to control your TV. You would have to use your TV's remote or a universal remote.

You can buy an attachment that clicks on the fireTV remote that acts as a power/volume remote for your tv. That way you only have 1 remote that can control your fireTV and TV. They sell them on amazon. Works like a mini universal remote that attaches to the fireTV remote.

A quick question. When I use Dish Anywhere on my PC I don't quite get a full screen image from the dish anywhere player browser addon. Does the fire stick image while playing dish anywhere fill the screen?

A quick question. When I use Dish Anywhere on my PC I don't quite get a full screen image from the dish anywhere player browser addon. Does the fire stick image while playing dish anywhere fill the screen?
On your PC,
Double-click right button on mouse with cursor in middle of image and the image should expanf to full screen.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts