Buying Direct TV equipment ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have been readding this forum DAILY for the last 2 mounths and finally decided to join. My question is why do most of you buy equipment? I have had D* this time for 6 mounths and have got ALL my equipment and installs FREE. Yes I have a 2 year contract, with all this equipment, Why in the world would I want to leave? I especially do not understand someone BUYING this equipent, then leaving D*, So why not let D* GIVE you the HARDWARE? Plus they gave me SD locals free for 1 year, and my HD package free for 6 mounths.

SO I guess I just do not understand buying this hardware. Someone please explain. :confused:

Thanx
Eric Goempel

Because only new subscribers get the hardware for free. If your an existing subscriber you do not get all the freebies that new subscribers have. Don't worry though, soon new DirecTv customers will be leasing the hardware instead of owning it.

If a leased IRD stops working won't Direc replace it but extend your commitment? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the case. Just keep reducing the quality of the equipment so you can keep customers on a perpetual commitment.

Hd Equipment

Well if you all ask real nice i will change the picture. But as far as the lease deal. 1 that is why I got all my equipment BEFORE the lease deal kicked in. and B I have the "protection deal" for 8 bucks so if any of my equipment breaks (2 TIVO units to date) D8 replaces for FREE, plus when I am not happy with my reception I call D* and their tech has to climb the 30 foot mast to ajust the dish in a blinding snowstorm. That has happened onece so far:p. I can see NO down side to getting the equipment for free.

Well I had been with d* for 5 mounths before I went HD, after enough sweet talking they waived the install fee and gave me the instant rebate (they ended up paying me 20 bucks to go HD:D) but when the installer came out he had a H10 w/3 LNB dish. He said the H20 was not avalible in my area yet, I got D* on the phone before I let him touch ANYTHING and made them put a free H20/5LNB not on my account. When the nation wide deal was announced I was on the phone to D* at 12:05 scheduling my updated install (1 week tot he day after getting the h10) on wed I had the new equipment plus they left me the H10!!!:)

I am still in a battle with my local OTA stations over the waivers but I will post that seperatly as I am in contact with the FCC in a formal investigation pahase against the stations! Might just make waivers easier for EVERYBODY to get!!!

THANX:up
ViPER

Personally I would much rather BUY my equipment, then I don't have a monthly LEASE to deal with.
No telling what the lease rate will be , for sure, just rumors so far.

Whats to say D* doesn't start us at one rate for the lease and then raise it when they feel the time is right.
Then your stuck paying that lease at what ever rate they decide.

It would be nice if D* would lease the units and drop the charge when you get it paid for......

Wishful thinking ....:eureka

What an idea !!

Jimbo

I don't want to lease equipment becuase it removes or at least limits my choice. I would prefer to buy what I want, and not have someone else choose something for me which fails to meet my expectations and then be stuck with it for years.

Ted

Buy vs Lease vs Free

OK the question is Buy vs Lease vs Free? Lease is not an option until next month. so that only leaves us with buy vs free. When D* has let me choose what makes and models I want, I see no draw back to the buy option. The only case that can be made is 2 year contract. Well if I am gonna go out and buy an HD receiver, go through the hassle of putting up a 5 LNB dish, I would plan on being with D* for at least 2 years. Plus with your bought machine, what happens if the thing stops working after 1 year? with my protection plan D* gives me a new one for free. I am really tyring to understand the benefit to buying the equipment. Enough people on here buy the stuff, so there has to be a reason.

Oh and since you all didn't like the picture of me I put up one of the little lady. She LOVES my dental work!!!:p

ncted said:
I don't want to lease equipment becuase it removes or at least limits my choice. I would prefer to buy what I want, and not have someone else choose something for me which fails to meet my expectations and then be stuck with it for years.

Ted

D* already took that option away from us when they decided all new receivers would have thier name on them .....

I hated that because you could no longer choose the menu guides and manufacurer that you perfered.

Jimbo

Eric Goempel said:
OK the question is Buy vs Lease vs Free? Lease is not an option until next month. so that only leaves us with buy vs free. When D* has let me choose what makes and models I want, I see no draw back to the buy option. The only case that can be made is 2 year contract. Well if I am gonna go out and buy an HD receiver, go through the hassle of putting up a 5 LNB dish, I would plan on being with D* for at least 2 years. Plus with your bought machine, what happens if the thing stops working after 1 year? with my protection plan D* gives me a new one for free. I am really tyring to understand the benefit to buying the equipment. Enough people on here buy the stuff, so there has to be a reason.

Oh and since you all didn't like the picture of me I put up one of the little lady. She LOVES my dental work!!!:p

I personally, don't want to have to pay for a peice of equipment for the duration of the time I have it.

It only adds to the price I have to pay D* every month, I pay enough already...

Well, if it's buy vs free, I would take free, however you are going to have to tell me where I can get a free HD DVR. I have yet to see one. Buy vs Lease, definately buy. That way If new equipment comes out I can just buy the new equipment and sell my old and recoup some of the cost. Still cheaper than leasing.

However, Leasing cost vs Buying cost. I don't know how D* does it but E* will either charge a lease fee or a connect fee, so either way you are paying a fee.

bpickell said:
Well, if it's buy vs free, I would take free, however you are going to have to tell me where I can get a free HD DVR. I have yet to see one. Buy vs Lease, definately buy. That way If new equipment comes out I can just buy the new equipment and sell my old and recoup some of the cost. Still cheaper than leasing.

However, Leasing cost vs Buying cost. I don't know how D* does it but E* will either charge a lease fee or a connect fee, so either way you are paying a fee.

Rumor has it, and I repeat it's JUST a RUMOR..
Leasing will only be $ 5-6 bucks p/m

Jimbo

Well, I dont like the idea of leasing.

It took a DirecTV 'Star Neighboorhood' direct mailer for me to decide to bite on the service. Free equip on two H20 recievers and a DVR, 3 months of service at total choice plus lvl package free.

I opted to pay the 399 for the HD DVR since its seems a universal that its expected to be swapped out for the mpeg4 capable free of charge. If I was leasing it and I really liked the H10-250 enough, it would stink to have to give it back. It should work find for a while until DTV looses its current sattelite system.

I may do the DVR4Me offer once I get the initial order activated just so I have that one too with out the lease cost.

Jimbos said:
D* already took that option away from us when they decided all new receivers would have thier name on them .....

I hated that because you could no longer choose the menu guides and manufacurer that you perfered.

Jimbo

True, although right now, we have the choice of TiVo or DTV interface. Having seen both, I knew I wanted to stick with TiVo, so I purchased the (D* branded) HD DVR. The only HD I really care about comes from local sources, so, when the options are D*, E*, and TWC, I chose the option which fit my wants/needs most closely. I hate the fact that when my equipment dies in a few years (hopefully not sooner), I will have to lease generic, vanilla hardware to keep my satellite programming which is one reason why I avoided E* to begin with. My other option is to get a regular TiVo with CableCard and deal with TWC which I hate to think about.

My first DVR was RCA branded. I would have preferred another brand, but I knew they were all the same on the inside and all built in the same factory in Mexico, so I went with the cheapest version of the same thing.

Ted

ncted said:
True, although right now, we have the choice of TiVo or DTV interface. Having seen both, I knew I wanted to stick with TiVo, so I purchased the (D* branded) HD DVR. The only HD I really care about comes from local sources, so, when the options are D*, E*, and TWC, I chose the option which fit my wants/needs most closely. I hate the fact that when my equipment dies in a few years (hopefully not sooner), I will have to lease generic, vanilla hardware to keep my satellite programming which is one reason why I avoided E* to begin with. My other option is to get a regular TiVo with CableCard and deal with TWC which I hate to think about.

My first DVR was RCA branded. I would have preferred another brand, but I knew they were all the same on the inside and all built in the same factory in Mexico, so I went with the cheapest version of the same thing.

Ted

I wasn't refering to the DVR units, I don't own any (at least D* or TIVO type)
I also don't know that your equipment will fail you any time soon, as far as standard def units, I've seen the old RCA 220 series as well as the 1st generation RCA still working at a friends ...

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I wasn't refering to the DVR units, I don't own any (at least D* or TIVO type)
I also don't know that your equipment will fail you any time soon, as far as standard def units, I've seen the old RCA 220 series as well as the 1st generation RCA still working at a friends ...

Jimbo

I don't expect it to, except perhaps an RCA receiver I have in the bonus room which has always been flaky. I hope you are right. :)

Ted

ncted said:
I don't expect it to, except perhaps an RCA receiver I have in the bonus room which has always been flaky. I hope you are right. :)

Ted

Actually, I don't remember hearing as much trouble with the older receivers... The newer ones seem to be more flaky, of course, it could have been due to me not knowing what forums to get on too back then as well..

Here's to good luck and reliable service from all the new equipment currently available and into the future !!! :)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts