Buying DVR in a store ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcowboy7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Pequannock, NJ
If i cant get the hd dvr for less than $199+shipping from directv is there any drawback to just buying it at Best Buy instead and installing it myself ?

I have coupons etc. to bring it down to $150 there so its cheaper than going thru directv.

As long as you don't need the slimline dish there is no difference. I would rather get it through Best Buy if it is the same price as you would have it today and not have to wait for it. I am surprised that you couldn't get it any cheaper though. You might want to call back and talk to a different CSR first to see if they will reduce the price.

I bought (OK, leased) one of my HR21s through Best Buy, and had no issues. I too had some coupons plus got Reward Zone credit for it. Most importantly, I walked home and plugged it in without having the take time off work and sit around waiting for an installer (already had the 5-LNB and 2 runs of coax to the location). All I had to do was unplug the old receiver and plug in the new one.

That was shortly after the new HD channels were released, and they weren't giving many receiver deals through D*. It seems like the changes of getting a deal have picked back up again. So as already mentioned, you might want to give D* another call or two to see if you can get the $ down. In my case, I didn't feel like playing the game and wanted it sooner rather than later, so spent the money. I've since gotten another HR21 from D* for free though.

Also easier to exchange at BB if you get a box that just doesn't work right in the first few days. I bought one box at BB and had to exchange it, was easier than waiting for D* to ship one.

Any coupons and rewards are too boot :)

Just make sure you have the 5 LNB slimline dish. If not you are MUCH BETTER OFF to order from DirecTV.

Also easier to exchange at BB if you get a box that just doesn't work right in the first few days. I bought one box at BB and had to exchange it, was easier than waiting for D* to ship one.

Any coupons and rewards are too boot :)

Just make sure you have the 5 LNB slimline dish. If not you are MUCH BETTER OFF to order from DirecTV.

Your BB must process returns MUCH better than the ones in my city.
Returns at BB here are miserable.

Jimbo

I picked mine up at CC and installed it myself.

I wasn't so concerned with the deal I might get, It was taking time off from work waiting for a tech come and "install" it. which to me was rather silly for just swapping box for box.

so the sat cable just goes into the "satellite in 2" connection on the dvr correct ?

not the "satellite in 1 (SWM-2)" connection.

so the sat cable just goes into the "satellite in 2" connection on the dvr correct ?

not the "satellite in 1 (SWM-2)" connection.
The sat1 in connection is always used, SWM or not, doesn't matter. Sat 2 is used only if you don't have a SWM or only have one cable run from a non SWM switch/LNB.

I was thinking to get a HD DVR Receiver from a Best Buy but I did not want to extend my contract for another 2 years. Can somebody tell me did you have to call DTV to activate the DVR or it worked after you switched the card from your old receiver.

I was thinking to get a HD DVR Receiver from a Best Buy but I did not want to extend my contract for another 2 years. Can somebody tell me did you have to call DTV to activate the DVR or it worked after you switched the card from your old receiver.

You can't just switch the card. It is "married" to the dvr or receiver it came with. If you call customer service, they MAY let you use and old card with a new dvr, but not likely.

As far as I know, there's no way to upgrade equipment without a contract extension.

No matter where you buy the equipment, you have to call D* to activate it.

Why have an access card at all?

You will have to call D* to activate. Access cards are married to their individual receiver ID's.

This reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask. If the access cards are married to the receiver, why even have a removable card? Why isn't it just hard built into the receiver?

This reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask. If the access cards are married to the receiver, why even have a removable card? Why isn't it just hard built into the receiver?

Because when they determine there's a security problem with the current generation of cards they send out replacements.

Dish did what you asked with their recent receivers but now they're starting to send out cards with updated security so those receivers will now also have cards.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts