Buying eBay Recievers w/ Card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digitalgm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
SUCCESS

UPDATE : I now have purchased 6 (six) D10's off of eBay and been able to activate EVERY ONE of them. All 6 were previously activated by someone else and none of the cards were virgin. I was able to, without trouble, activate each and every one of them. I even activated 3 of them without posession of the recievers. Moreover, I actually activated them one at a time so I was able to deal with the most amount of CSR's possible and they all worked!!!!

All,
I read a lot on this forum regarding purchasing receivers off of eBay with cards in them and if DirecTV would activate the non-virgin card. I just wanted to let everyone know that I purchased 3 brand new D10-100's which were supposed to be in the box. Later I found out that the original owner had powered them up and activated the cards :eek: In any case, I called DirecTV and was able to activate all 3 cards and boxes over the phone. I purposely talked to 3 different CSR's just to make this a little more scientific.
AdamR

Last edited:
He could have asked the CSR if there would be any problem activating them which should have been done before the purchase was made. If it was advertised as a virgin card but was previously activated then you should be able to get a refund. DirecTv wants you to buy a new card if you are not the original person that activated the card. They treat it like a credit card. I have heard of some being able to activate used cards that were previously activated by someone else. Heck I know some customers that originally activated some of their cards and still had to buy new ones. They usually want $20 each for them and you have to wait in the mail for one to be sent.

I just bought a used Hughes HTL-HD receiver off of eBay, and the CSR would not active the card that came with the unit. I had another unit that I was deactivating at the same time, and the CSR was able to use that card in the HTL-HD.

I thought you had to have the card in your possession to activate it. I did however sell a used unit with the card and the person was able to activate it with DirectTV. We changed to Dish and then went back to DirectTV. Silly us.

gale1220 said:
I thought you had to have the card in your possession to activate it. I did however sell a used unit with the card and the person was able to activate it with DirectTV. We changed to Dish and then went back to DirectTV. Silly us.

As long as you have the access card number, and tell the CSR that everything is working fine, there's no way for us to tell, really.

I have run into some cases during new customer activations in which the tech would give me an access card number that is already active on another account.

This happens when a customer returns a receiver and the card. We recycle the cards, and re-issue them. If they're still active on the other account, we won't be able to activate them on another.

Hell, today I got this call. Customer was in Michigan, activating an R10; but the access card number was active for an account in Dallas - so as soon as the technician hooked the DVR up, the customer was getting free programming, essentially - with Dallas locals.

100144618 said:
This happens when a customer returns a receiver and the card. We recycle the cards, and re-issue them. If they're still active on the other account, we won't be able to activate them on another.
That can also happen when numbers get transposed by either the installer or the CSR entering the access card ID.

How can the access card be receiving channels if it was in another receiver? I thought the cards marry or is that only with Dish Network?

ok. How can a person return a receiver? I was always told by directv that once the receiver is installed by them it can not be returned to them. Also how can someone in michigan get dallas locals? I thought most locals are on spot beams (except ny, la,chicago, denver).

kryten98371 said:
I just bought a used Hughes HTL-HD receiver off of eBay, and the CSR would not active the card that came with the unit. I had another unit that I was deactivating at the same time, and the CSR was able to use that card in the HTL-HD.

Did D* require you to make the 2 year commitment? I'm finding conflicting reports about the commitment requirements for equipment swaps. I understand why they would like a commitment if you upgrade thru D* but not if you purchase used. I'ld like to purchase a used unit like you have and swap out my older HD box but not if it means a 2 year commitment.

Rhodemaster said:
Did D* require you to make the 2 year commitment? I'm finding conflicting reports about the commitment requirements for equipment swaps. I understand why they would like a commitment if you upgrade thru D* but not if you purchase used. I'ld like to purchase a used unit like you have and swap out my older HD box but not if it means a 2 year commitment.
2 year commitment for advanced products(HD and DVR), 1 year for standard equipment, no matter where you got it from

Tonedeaf said:
2 year commitment for advanced products(HD and DVR), 1 year for standard equipment, no matter where you got it from

Thx, but can't help but think that's a very poor policy. Hey I've been a sub for 8 years or so. If my HD unit quits and I wanna replace it myself with a used one to continue being a sub why force this commitment? The only effort required on D* part is answering the phone call I make to activate. The self installers and subs who can handle tasks like this shouldn't be penalized for not purchasing discounted new equipment or getting that free install. OK OK I vented. and I feel better.:cool:

SUCCESS!!!

UPDATE : I now have purchased 6 (six) D10's off of eBay and been able to activate EVERY ONE of them. All 6 were previously activated by someone else and the cards were NOT virgin. I was able to, without trouble, activate each and every one of them. I even activated 3 of before I had posession of the recievers.

(I edited my original post to include this update)

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on who you talk to. I think they should at least allow the old cards be activated until new ones are sent out if they do indeed need replaced.

Basically the CSR's are supposed to try and get you to buy a new card, they will lie if they have to, however from my own expierence it helps just to hang up and call back, so far that has worked for me three times, I was told it was not possible and when I called back I had no problem.

Just so everyone knows, I talked to about 5 people in the process of getting these boxes activated and not once did anyone tell me I would have to buy a card. If they did though, I would have just hung up and called back. I hope this can prove that it is _NOT_ a DirecTV policy to have to buy a new card and you CAN get around it. So, go out and buy those boxes up on eBay cheap! :eek:)

AdamR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)