Buying my own Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaalex

Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hello all,

I just signed up for Dish back in October. At the time I had one HDTV and two SDTV's. Now were thinking about going out and buying a new HDTV for our upstairs living room. I called Dish and they want 150 bucks to upgrade my 322 receiver to something that will give me 1 HD and 1 SD output.

My question is can I go out and buy my own receiver off of Ebay or some other place and activate it and send back my 322. I tried asking the question tonight to Dish support but I couldn't understand the customer service person that I got.

Jason

And they'll still charge you the $7 per month receiver fee and DVR fee even if you own it. About the only advantage to owning is not increasing your commitment. Since you're still under commitment, there's not much advantage to you owning. You might find a 222K on eBay for a decent price. It's not a DVR but will serve one HDTV and a second SDTV. You won't pay a DVR fee, just the $7 HD receiver fee or if you lease, just the $7 lease fee. Was the $150 for a HD DVR or just a dual tuner HD receiver? You can always do a online chat instead of talking to the asian CSRs or look up your options on your online account.

Your monthly bill will not change, owned or leased. PERIOD.

The ONLY reason to consider buying is if you plan to sell your receiver when it's time to move on to a more advanced receiver. When, I might add, the value of such receiver will likely be quite low.

It's a lease world, now.

In my experience, its better to lease because if something does happen to your receiver (always happens) then dish will replace it no prob.

You can always do a online chat instead of talking to the asian CSRs or look up your options on your online account.

If you think Dish is bad about using people from India or the Phillipines, then try any of the computer companies such as HP/Compaq. When you first call in, you'll hear recordings that are spoken by people from the U.S. that are clear and legible. Then when the csr comes on, it's usually hard to hear them and they are definately from another country.

I'm not knocking the individual who you are talking to (they are trying to do the best they can), but what annoys me is that these companies say they want to provide good customer service to us, but they hire help that they pay peanuts to to do the job that they would pay more for here in the U.S.

These CSRs in these other countries don't know much/or anything about Dish Network (Dish Network isn't even in the country they live in - it's some other satellite or cable company). All they do is follow a script/list of questions and answers that is provided to them. If you ask them anything hard or technical, forget it!

And I've even heard of CSRs from these other countries that will ask you questions about the weather or other things just to give you the impression that they are here in the U.S. -- Forget it, that ploy don't fly with me.

Again, I'm not knocking the CSRs (most of them do a good job and are doing the best they can under the circumstances they have to work with). But I am knocking the companies using cheap help so they can make more $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!

:no

AMEN! I own both an HP & Compac and thought their CS made my worst Dish CS experience look good.:rolleyes: I did read some time ago that HP was opening several support centers in the U.S. due to complaints from customers unable to decode their overseas CSR's.:confused:

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)