BUYING RECEIVERS ON E-BAY NOT A GOOD IDEA ALL THE TIME!

supermod38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
central, ny
just called dish to check out the numbers on a few of the receivers on e-bay. result was three out of four were leased receivers and dish would not activate them. let the buyer *beware* !!!:D

I thought Dish Network stopped allowing their receivers from being listed for sale on Ebay or was that only a restriction for the retailers?

I think buyer beware is what you should think about anytime you buy something that isnt brand new in the box :)

Thats why buying a receiver off a pub member via the classifieds is a good option.

I think buyer beware is what you should think about anytime you buy something that isnt brand new in the box :)
Hell, with electronics build quality these days, even brand new in the box should be buyer beware. ;)

You should always request the receiver and smart card # and call Dish to verify it is clear to be activated on your acct. There could also be a balance owing on the receiver that would need to be paid before it can be activated. The problem with that is they may refuse to take payment from anyone other than the customer they show owing the money. Dishes privacy rules are ridiculous these days.

Call DISH twice with numbers, I've been told it was available then after buying found a balance that wasn't reported on first call. The only "really safe" place to buy is DISH itself but most times the gamble is cheaper.

You should always request the receiver and smart card # and call Dish to verify it is clear to be activated on your acct.

And then go ahead and activate on your account ASAP. There have been a few posts where folks have checked when they bought the receiver, but by the time they got around to activating a balance due was shown. Evidently the receiver is still "related" to the original sellers account until "moved" to a new account. If the seller skips out on Dish after you buy, but before you activate on your account the receiver will show a balance.

Not sure if those folks ever got any resolution or not.

Last edited:
our dish and receivers have all been purchased from eBay. we deal only with sellers who have a 100% positive reputation when it comes to receivers, electronics, and software.

we have never had a problem but always verify the receiver numbers with Dish prior to finalizing the purchase. we also use PayPal to pay for everything, always pay through eBay/Paypal, never pay directly, and have had them back us up the one time we had a problem with a purchase - non satellite receiver purchase based.

We did have a switch go bad - when we had siding replaced the the contractor screwed with the cabling and switch, and I contacted Claude at DishStore.com and was extremely happy with the sales experience. In the future, we will always look at both Claude's options as well as the options on eBay.

I have sold my old receivers through ebay. I post the R#s so that people can verify with Dish that the receivers are OK. Unfortunately many of Dish's customers do not realize that the receivers are leased, so they think they can sell them. Then they get hit with a big bill since they cannot return them.

Call DISH twice with numbers, I've been told it was available then after buying found a balance that wasn't reported on first call. The only "really safe" place to buy is DISH itself but most times the gamble is cheaper.

Had the same thing happen to me and more than once. Called a time or two to verify then was told something else after recever was bought. Thank goodness I didn;t have much in them.

Why not? What does that have to do with price, quality, service, etc?

Good point, nothing really. I do admire his honesty. Personally, however, I would not buy from him. I like to have a salesman who believes in his products. What good does it do for example to rehash the touchpad remote control? That is a dead issue. It just serves to make the products he sells seem like trash. He is on here trashing both the 922 and the Hopper.

Good point, nothing really. I do admire his honesty. Personally, however, I would not buy from him. I like to have a salesman who believes in his products. What good does it do for example to rehash the touchpad remote control? That is a dead issue. It just serves to make the products he sells seem like trash. He is on here trashing both the 922 and the Hopper.

Im giving an honest opinion. I never liked the 922 from the day I first beta tested it, and I was not impressed with the Hopper when I saw the demo at CES.

The 722 on the other hand is a great product, especially with the add on sling adaptor.

I see your point about not beliving in the product, but at the same time would you rather buy from someone who is going to tell you what you want to hear and give you a song and a dance, or is going to tell you the truth and let you decide what is best for you.

Nothing I said was false, everything I said about the hopper and the 922 are all valid points

With Dish it does not matter. If he sees problems with a product at least he will let his customers know them and let the customer decide if they are valid points. It is not like Claude makes the box. He ships you a new Dish receiver that you have all warranty and other issues handled by Dish, not Claude. So, you do not need to buy from a cheerleader. At least you have the option to have a better understanding of what you are buying.

With Dish it does not matter. If he sees problems with a product at least he will let his customers know them and let the customer decide if they are valid points. It is not like Claude makes the box. He ships you a new Dish receiver that you have all warranty and other issues handled by Dish, not Claude. So, you do not need to buy from a cheerleader. At least you have the option to have a better understanding of what you are buying.

I agree...I appreciate Claude's candor when discussing the 922 and Hopper. Offhand, it appears that Lt. would buy a polished turd from a dishonest shill and not from Claude? Heck, if someone is hell-bent on buying a turd then they should at least buy it from the person who honestly tells 'em what they're getting. If nothing else, hopefully Claude's candor (and others like him) will help people make an informed decision, and help Dish resolve problems. Since I'm no longer a Dish customer, I was somewhat jealous when the 922 was released. However, I'm glad that I missed-out on that fiasco. Moreover, I pretty much said "ho-hum" when I saw the Hopper. Heck, it is basically the VOOM Whole Home DVR they announced way back in 2006...and certainly nothing Moxi, Motorola, DirecTV and others haven't already been doing.

Im giving an honest opinion. I never liked the 922 from the day I first beta tested it, and I was not impressed with the Hopper when I saw the demo at CES.

The 722 on the other hand is a great product, especially with the add on sling adaptor.

I see your point about not beliving in the product, but at the same time would you rather buy from someone who is going to tell you what you want to hear and give you a song and a dance, or is going to tell you the truth and let you decide what is best for you.

Nothing I said was false, everything I said about the hopper and the 922 are all valid points

I appreciate Claude's honesty, and that provides even more imputus to buy from him whenever possible.

Would rather have someone be honest than try to upsell me crap to make a bigger profit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts