buying receivers on ebay?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Maybe, maybe not. You should ask for the RECIEVER # and the Smart Card # if the unit has one.

Call Dish (1-800-333-3474) and see if there is a balance on the unit or even if it is being sold illegally.(Some units are lease and can't be sold.)

If it is a clear unit, you 'should' be able to get it activated on your account. It may take an email to ceo@echostar.com to get it done.

THen you will have to subscribe to at least the BASIC service AT60 $24.95. Without subscription, it will only show about 5 barker channels and NASA I think.

check the feedback of the person before you buy. there are alot of honest people on ebay and also alot of scammers. i have never bought a receiver on ebay, but have sold four and never had any complaints.

Ebay

cybergal said:
I was wondering can I just buy a receiver on ebay and plug it in?
will it work?

I recently bought a receiver advertised as new on Ebay. It was a 311 and they said no card was included. Well - the 311 has the card built in so when I asked about that, they said it was indeed built in. When the receiver showed up it was obviously not new, in the wrong box, no accessories, and was broken. The seller said they had sent the wrong receiver and offered to send me a 322 - and at first I said OK, but then called that off when I found out on here that 322's are lease only and Dish may not activate. They have now PROMISED a refund.

Given all of that, I believe you can buy receivers that can be registered. You should be safe buying a 301, 311, 811, or 921. Just be sure that they have a good feedback rating and that they guarantee that the receiver can be activated and has no charges associated with it. Remember that a downside of buying is that in a year when Dish goes Mpeg4 they may not offer to upgrade receivers you own.

The old saying Buyer Beware applies there are bargins and there are ripoffs. Know what you are buying and what a fair price is for the product. A low price on a 3000 or 2700 might look like a bargin but do to the age these models are not very functional. A low price on a DP-301 could be a good buy if it is not a leased receiver or one that has an outstanding balance that has to be payed before you can get programming. Any receiver that has no smart card should be a warning, you will have to buy a card from DISH to be safe and that will probably run $50-100. Something like the DVRs 501,508 &510 could easily have hard drive problems that are more expensive to have replaced than you can save. First suggestion is call DISH and see what they have for offerings. Second suggestion is call your local dealer if you have one and see what they can offer.

I recently bought a 322 on Ebay. It was new in box and I called E* and the receiver had NOT been activated. I'll find out if they will on Wed. when my system is installed. I'm getting an 811, 322 and 111. I'm replacing the 111 with a second 322 which I purchased on Ebay. I also have 2 dpp seperators and a dpp44.

jerryez said:
Dish may not authorize the 322 that you bought, since they are lease only and the property of Dish Network.
But if the installer of my DishNetwork system is the one who calls to activate it , they won't know the difference. He has to call to activate the other 2 receivers anyway.

mailman390 said:
But if the installer of my DishNetwork system is the one who calls to activate it , they won't know the difference. He has to call to activate the other 2 receivers anyway.
DON'T do that. You bought that 322, send an email to ceo@echostar.com after your install is completed to get YOUR 322 activated. IF your installer would get it activated it would be as a leased receiver and you would NOT ever be able to sell it.

Well...

mailman390 said:

What it comes down to is that if you buy a receiver that is lease only then you have bought stolen property. It was not the property of the seller to begin with since Dish does not sell them - does not make it any more legal if the seller is a dealer. They could possibly lose their dealership if Dish found out. Then again, as long as they get their $5/mo they may not really care.

n0qcu said:
DON'T do that. You bought that 322, send an email to ceo@echostar.com after your install is completed to get YOUR 322 activated. IF your installer would get it activated it would be as a leased receiver and you would NOT ever be able to sell it.

Ummm... if it is lease only, you can't sell it no matter who you Email - and you won't ever own it. They may authorize it, but they will still own it. They may ask who sold it to you and go after them, letting you off the hook to get them...

Actually the dealers CAN sell them because they have to BUY all receivers from DISH. When the customer gets installed DISH buys back the leased receivers and then leases it to the customer.

I bought a 522 (lease only) on eBay. Had to go to the "executive level" to get it activated. At least it doesn't cost me $5 per month lease fee!!!! JUST BE careful and check the ID #s with dish before bidding.

cybergal said:
I was wondering can I just buy a receiver on ebay and plug it in?
will it work?
I bought a 311 and a 510 from private parties on EBay. They both work great and I had no problem authorizing them. Be careful of leased receivers and be careful for those who may have viewed PPV's and didn't pay for them!

bbtkd said:
What it comes down to is that if you buy a receiver that is lease only then you have bought stolen property. It was not the property of the seller to begin with since Dish does not sell them - does not make it any more legal if the seller is a dealer. They could possibly lose their dealership if Dish found out. Then again, as long as they get their $5/mo they may not really care.
I guess E* considers it a re-lease. Know of anyone getting arrested and charged with possession of stolen property?

Just because Dish considers 322 and 522 to be lease only you can still buy them from outside sources and as long as they have not been leased at one time Dish considers them as "NOT" leased and they(DISH) "DOES NOT" own them. I contacted DISH on this before, so you can go HERE and see what they had to say about it.

n0qcu said:
Could I try to call an activate it myself?

No, you have to use the email address and give them your account and contact info and the R# & S# from the receiver. Only a few CSR in the exectutive office can activate OWNED 322's & 522's. Normal first level CSR cannot activate.

n0qcu said:
No, you have to use the email address and give them your account and contact info and the R# & S# from the receiver. Only a few CSR in the exectutive office can activate OWNED 322's & 522's. Normal first level CSR cannot activate.
But now that you can buy a 522 from a store, can't a normal (well not so normal :D ) CSR activate them now??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts