Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Murrell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Prestonsburg, KY
Hey guys

lets say I was a cheap SOB ;) and wanted to buy a used 4DTV receiver or 2, is buying units 2nd hand from someone ok??

what should I look out for or be watching that would not give me a paper weight when I receive the used units ??

GI vs Motorola ??

I was thinking of getting a 922 from a good seller on ebay

Thanks

-Gary

I'd say if the price is right, either is fine. The risk you run is the battery dieing in the 922. This is an expensive repair. I believe you have to replace the system board once the battery dies.

If you get a Motorola one vs. a GI one it will be relatively newer.

FWIW, my 922 (GI) was bought at a thrift shop for all of $7.99. No I wasn't the lucky buyer. I traded for it - and am happy with the trade.

If the seller will assure you that the receiver will not be DOA, you should be fine.

If they can't test it, it's up to you if the price is worth the risk.

I've seen some excellent deals on 922 & HDD200 on ebay!

Last edited:
I bought a 920 off of ebay but I made sure it worked first!!
The seller had same day pictures of screenshots a buy it now option for 180 but also just had ats service it and change the battery!
I bought it and it is wicked, I live in canada and did not want a 921!
now I want a 922!!!

920 Battery

Squeeze said:
I bought a 920 off of ebay but I made sure it worked first!!
The seller had same day pictures of screenshots a buy it now option for 180 but also just had ats service it and change the battery!
I bought it and it is wicked, I live in canada and did not want a 921!
now I want a 922!!!

I have a 920 and now a 922. Bought the 920 in 1997. There is a thread in the Faq on changing out the battery in a 920 for those with some solder/electronic skills, and a THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND ATTITUDE.

I did change out the Battery in the 920 recently, but due to the low prices they fetch on Ebay, will keep it as a spare. The 920 was a great set (and is again!!) If you can find a newer one or one with a new battery, I would do it. I would not have upgraded if I were not concerned the battery in the 920 was not long for this world. It is one of those things you never think of until the power fails!!!
Jeff

Gary,

You've probably already seen it, but in case you haven't the current NPS deal for a 922 looks pretty good. $299 after rebate. You've got to subscribe to the movie channels for at least one quarter but you'd probably do that anyway.

Mike

Mike,

That deal would be hard to beat. That's dang near what a used 922 is getting on ebay!

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish they'd had that one going when I got my 922. I paid about $100 more for mine. I don't regret it for a moment though.

I just checked NPS webpage and it still looks like $399 for a 922 unless I'm missing something. I bought a 922 on ebay yesterday. I didn't investigate it very much so I hope it works.

I just called NPS and was quoted $501.96 which includes shipping and 3 months of some programming.

Thanks for the link. Boy that gal on the phone wasn't very informed. Their webpage isn't very up to date either. I've been checking there all the time for their current deal and I guess I missed it. My ebay deal doesn't look that great anymore. That's the way it goes sometimes!

Hambone said:
Thanks for the link. Boy that gal on the phone wasn't very informed. Their webpage isn't very up to date either. I've been checking there all the time for their current deal and I guess I missed it. My ebay deal doesn't look that great anymore. That's the way it goes sometimes!

When you call NPS ask for John Ferguson. He seems to be able to get the best deals for everyone, and is more in the know than the regular CSR's. John's info is as follows:

John Ferguson
C-band Sales
NPS
1-800-444-3474 ext 599
<a href="mailto:jferguson@callnps.com">jferguson@callnps.com</a>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hum a 922 for 299.99$ ain't bad

I was planning on getting
6 months of:

HBO
Starz
Showtime
Discovery HD Theater

I may go for this, thanks for the info

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
Hum a 922 for 299.99$ ain't bad

I was planning on getting
6 months of:

HBO
Starz
Showtime
Discovery HD Theater

I may go for this, thanks for the info

-Gary

To be honest I would go for a new 4dtv, reasons like the battery and warranty, I am not sure about that NPS deal I think you need some kind of gift card that no one has? though here are the deals that I no are good:
http://www.callnps.com/4dtv.htm (great deal for 4dtv with programming "call John")
http://skyvision.com/store/399_4dtv.html (great deal on both the 922 and HDD 200)

tdti1 said:
I am not sure about that NPS deal I think you need some kind of gift card that no one has?

I didn't even buy my 922 from NPS, so I could be all wet, but it looks like all you have to do to get the card is fill out a form. This is the link:

http://www.callnps.com/npscashback.pdf

It does seem odd that you have to get a card, so that you can then get your rebate though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)