Buying used hardware?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ImNotHere

Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Hi. I know this must be a completely nube question, but as a life long cable girl, I need someone to give me a quick education. I am looking at switching to Direct so I can get NFL channel...debating the whole package, but my question is about the $5 per month per TV for low end rcvr. I want at least one low cost connection for our kids to watch and I am wondering if I couldn't just buy one of the $30 ebay used receivers for that. When I pay the $5 for additional TVs, I am really paying to rent the equipment, right? If I buy something I don't have to pay that fee, or no? Also, if I go that route, how hard is it for me to get everything hooked up here? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

You will have to pay $5 fee even if you own one. Best thing is to sign up for there current specials with NFL package and get a free HD receiver or DVR if you want to pay $199 for it. The non HD receiver is free, so don't waste money on ebay. They will do all of the install for you for free.

Thanks so much Knights. I figured that was the case, but wanted to double check. And now, the answer begs the question, then why is there a market for the old used ones on Ebay? I understand up to the moment latest stuff, but why is there a market for the old stuff?

Thanks so much Knights. I figured that was the case, but wanted to double check. And now, the answer begs the question, then why is there a market for the old used ones on Ebay? I understand up to the moment latest stuff, but why is there a market for the old stuff?

There always has been a market for it...I think more so now than before. DirecTV started a lease only program on March 1, 2006. Anything that you get from DirecTV on and after that date is not yours to keep anymore. If you disconnect your service you are responsible to send back all equipment minus the dish. So if you spend 300 bucks on a top of the line receiver through DirecTV and cancel service they want it back AND you are out the 300 bucks you spent.

You get a used receiver on Ebay and it is yours to keep. If you disconnect service you keep the equipment or you can sell it on ebay and get cash for it. The only catch there is when a receiver is transferred from one account to another you MAY have to purchase a new card for it. DirecTV sends them out for 20 bucks if you need one. I prefer owning over leasing any day. Also, when you activate a used receiver there is no contract extension placed on your account.

There always has been a market for it...I think more so now than before. DirecTV started a lease only program on March 1, 2006. Anything that you get from DirecTV on and after that date is not yours to keep anymore. If you disconnect your service you are responsible to send back all equipment minus the dish. So if you spend 300 bucks on a top of the line receiver through DirecTV and cancel service they want it back AND you are out the 300 bucks you spent.

You get a used receiver on Ebay and it is yours to keep. If you disconnect service you keep the equipment or you can sell it on ebay and get cash for it. The only catch there is when a receiver is transferred from one account to another you MAY have to purchase a new card for it. DirecTV sends them out for 20 bucks if you need one. I prefer owning over leasing any day. Also, when you activate a used receiver there is no contract extension placed on your account.

Buying "used" equipment if it is an HR20 DVR, or even an H20 receiver, is very dubious. Almost all HR20 DVRs are leased and the person selling it on ebay does not own the DVR, so cannot legally sell it to you. More H20 receivers are "owned" because they were available before the lease program started.
If you get a DVR or receiver on ebay and it is a leased one then DirecTV can and often does refuse to activate the box. You certainly do not own it.

i was going to say buyer beware, especially of those alleged ebay deals. it almost certain has rip-off buyer written all over it. i can't emphasize that enough!

I'll say you want to buy the HR10-250 HD DVR off Ebay it has already been mentioned that you will have to buy a $20 card. What hasn't been mentioned is the receiver is MPEG2 and won't be able to tune any of the new channels coming next Month. You would be wasting your money on obsolete equipment. Their are reasons not to buy used equipment unless you know what you are buying.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I knew better than to buy stuff without finding someone who knows what I should be doing. Consider your "do not buy" advice heeded. I will just pony up the extra $5 per month to let the little howler monkeys watch Zoom.

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)