Buying used receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wjbarton

Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Hi all, I've bought used receivers in the past for DirecTV service, without really any problems getting them activated through DirecTV. I did have a problem once when I bought a tivo receiver on eBay, and apparently the guy I bought it from still had a balance on his account. I had to wait for him to pay it before DirecTV would send me a card for that receiver.

My question is: Is there a set of "guidelines" to use when looking to buy a receiver used? Things to look out for to get it activated, assuming the receiver itself is fine and dandy functionally. Will DirecTV always require a new $25 access card, or can an existing card be used? Also, if I'm intending to upgrade say a standard def receiver that's already working with a used HD receiver purchased through eBay/craigslist, can I just put my access card from the receiver to be upgraded into the new/used receiver, and then call DirecTV and ask them to associate that card with my new/used receiver, or will they HAVE to send me a new card for a price?

Just trying to figure out when it's better to buy used versus buying from DirecTV at their prices.

Thanks!

Hi... I can't answer all of your questions BUT, I can tell you that when I decided to go with one more HD recv'r (not DVR) I went to Costco and for $84.99 I bought a H20 WITH card and had it activated in 12 minutes. Is it worth it to bid on a used box, have it shipped, order a new card for $25 and THEN find out it's not working right? Not to me. Plus when you buy a recv'r from D* or an authorized reseller it's really a lease and if goes bad they replace it. Just my $.02.

If you are looking for HD and it sounds like that is what you want. Only MPEG4 receivers will get the new HDTV channels. That limits you to H20 & H21 base HDTV receivers or HR20 & HR21 for DVRs. Only the H20 was introduced before March 2006 when leasing started so at least 90% of usable HDTV receivers will be leased. You can't buy a used leased receiver and activate it.
Call D* at 800-531-5000 and order an upgrade.

I've sold one HR10 on Ebay and the buyer had no problem activating it. Sold it with a clean card, no balance due. Posted the card and number clearly.

If there is a "deal" on Ebay such as a newer H/HR20 or so I'd make sure that the seller posts the card # and then call D to check if it's clean or not first before bidding. Shop around both used/new can have their advantages.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade to HD, that was just an example. Right now I have 2 HR20's, 1 in living room and 1 in bedroom, but a standard def receiver in the kid's room. I just bought an R15 DVR on ebay for $36 shipped to replace that, so with the card at $25 from DirecTV it'll be about $40 in savings from DirecTV's $99., almost 40% off.

I know the cost savings can be easily offset if something's screwy with the used receiver, and it's not warranty'ed, but saving 40% just gives me warm and fuzzies.

So if the receiver is still under lease then I can't use it, is that right? I guess I should probably get receiver IDs first and ask DirecTV about it before ordering the next one. Hopefully this one isn't under lease, got it from a large eBay store... fingers crossed...

I've sold one HR10 on Ebay and the buyer had no problem activating it. Sold it with a clean card, no balance due. Posted the card and number clearly.

If there is a "deal" on Ebay such as a newer H/HR20 or so I'd make sure that the seller posts the card # and then call D to check if it's clean or not first before bidding. Shop around both used/new can have their advantages.

Mustang, did the buyer have to get a new card, and was your receiver still under lease?

Do leases renew for EVERYTHING when you change something with D? Or is that just 2 years on the new thing purchased?

Mustang, did the buyer have to get a new card, and was your receiver still under lease?

Do leases renew for EVERYTHING when you change something with D? Or is that just 2 years on the new thing purchased?
For the receiver to be activated the card has to be in your name, if you are not activating a receiver that was previously on your account you have to purchase a "new" card from Directv. Leases don't renew. You lease a R15 from Directv they retain ownership and you pay to use it. When you are done using it D* sends you a box with shipping label to return it to them. Some of these leased boxes are showing up for sale, but they are the property of D* and can't be reactivated they have to be returned to D*. You should get both the access card and RID #s before bidding on a receiver and check with D* to be sure it isn't leased. A lot I have checked on were leases. But a few were owned products. Anything before March 2006 was owned 99% since is leased so most recent model#s are leases.:)

Ahhh the sky is clearing now. Thanks, makes sense.

On the leases though, they always say I'm leasing stuff for 2 years - not sure what happens after the 2 years, if I have to return it or if I own it...

For the receiver to be activated the card has to be in your name, if you are not activating a receiver that was previously on your account you have to purchase a "new" card from Directv. Leases don't renew. You lease a R15 from Directv they retain ownership and you pay to use it. When you are done using it D* sends you a box with shipping label to return it to them. Some of these leased boxes are showing up for sale, but they are the property of D* and can't be reactivated they have to be returned to D*. You should get both the access card and RID #s before bidding on a receiver and check with D* to be sure it isn't leased. A lot I have checked on were leases. But a few were owned products. Anything before March 2006 was owned 99% since is leased so most recent model#s are leases.:)

You don't always have to get a new card. Over the last 15 months I have given my Son and Dtr-in-Law 2 DVRs, both of which were previously owned (not leased) by me.

They had no trouble activating both units when they called D*.

The unit and card have to be "clean" with no balance owed and the card has to be one of the fairly new cards.

It also depends on the mood of the CSR when you call I suspect.

as a tech, i never have a problem moving cards from one receiver to another. but i will tell you this, alot of reps will put an owned receiver as leased. I have a r10 and when i first lit it up, the guy on the phone was telling me the computers automatically set up as leased....most of the time. I made sure that guy noted that the reciever in question was an owned unit and even called back to confirm. i never believe the first two answers from a phone rep or sales rep.

as a tech, i never have a problem moving cards from one receiver to another. but i will tell you this, alot of reps will put an owned receiver as leased. I have a r10 and when i first lit it up, the guy on the phone was telling me the computers automatically set up as leased....most of the time. I made sure that guy noted that the reciever in question was an owned unit and even called back to confirm. i never believe the first two answers from a phone rep or sales rep.

Great advice, thanks!

Also, when you "buy" a receiver from Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA (aka Best City, USA), is that also considered a lease?

I see. I'll search/post to another thread to find out where folks normally go to buy/own NEW equipment for decent prices, thanks!

Any equipment purchased at a retail store like Best Buy are considered leased. This went into effect on March 1, 2006 (leasing program). You can buy the equipment from DirecTV for about $800 for an HR20, and it won't be leased then, but if the technology changes you won't be able to swap it out, if you lease you can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)