Buying used Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
Once again in the "...for Dummies" vein, if I purchase a used DirecTV receiver, what hoops do I need to jump through to set it up with DirecTV? I'm considering picking up a used HD receiver for an HD TV that isn't used often, so I'm not looking to make an investment.

If it is a "virgin card" I assume it was never set up, so there should be no problem.

If the card was used, will DirecTV just reset it to my account?

If it has no card, will DirecTV send me a new one, upon request?

Any pitfalls that don't readily come to mind?

If you are an existing customer, they will charge you $20 for a replacement card

They won't activate used equipment for new customers

Iceberg said:
If you are an existing customer, they will charge you $20 for a replacement card

Hmmmmm..... I'd try the CSR roulette on that one. Might be fun! :p

It will also depend on the generation or version of card that comes with it. I bought my 2nd HD receiver from ebay and it came with a P4 card and they fired it right up that day.

alta said:
Once again in the "...for Dummies" vein, if I purchase a used DirecTV receiver, what hoops do I need to jump through to set it up with DirecTV? I'm considering picking up a used HD receiver for an HD TV that isn't used often, so I'm not looking to make an investment.

If it is a "virgin card" I assume it was never set up, so there should be no problem.

If the card was used, will DirecTV just reset it to my account?

If it has no card, will DirecTV send me a new one, upon request?

Any pitfalls that don't readily come to mind?
how about i give you a rca dtc 100, it is an old box but works great, you can see what directv offers in hd and go from there , you just pay shipping from south jersey, dtv will send you a card , 20 bucks but im told if you talk to customer retention the will waive this fee

Iceberg said:

i have activated used equipment , on a few occasions, as have a few people i have given my old boxes too. they were current and some new customers, p5 card will work even in rca dtc 100

stevesmall said:
how about i give you a rca dtc 100, it is an old box but works great, you can see what directv offers in hd and go from there , you just pay shipping from south jersey, dtv will send you a card , 20 bucks but im told if you talk to customer retention the will waive this fee

I love it. I just sent you a private e-mail.

I have heard several times in the past that you have to sign a one year contract everytime you add or swap a receiver on your account.

So you have to get the $6 or $8 Protection Plan to do this without having a one year contract everytime? That sounds so rediculous.

Stargazer said:
So you have to get the $6 or $8 Protection Plan to do this without having a one year contract everytime? That sounds so rediculous.[/

NO but with protection plan it is a non issue, if you turn on a box that you had bought and question the year commitment they will pretty much waive it, but again if we are talking hd here , you are already amking at a minimum a 250 dollar investment, i would think you would already have made that decision to commit. also if you do cancel after say 6 months the early disconnect fee is prorated, so it would be 75 dollars instead of 150. or you can choose to send them your equipment, you could disconnect equipment a few weeks before , keep an sd el cheapo box installed and then cancel, poof all you need to do is send them the sd box. there are ways around this and in certain states the early termination fee is non enforceable, i dont condone these paractices i would rather do the right thing but if you are not happy with service i suggest making your criticisms valid or not to directv, i find they are very fair when making these calls

If DirecTv wants my business bad enough then they will try to keep me a happy customer without making me sign a one year commitment everytime I turn around. That policy they have is enough reason in itself for me to not go with DirecTv. I just dont see why someone should have to make a one year commitment everytime they add an additional receiver (particularly a used one purchased from someone) unless they get a huge discount on a new one from DirecTv themselves.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)