Buying used receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
Is there anything special I should know about buying used receivers? My old philips receiver which I've had since 2000 is acting strange, and my stand alone Tivo recently died, so I was thinking of looking around for a used DirecTV Tivo unit. I only use it during the summer months, but I'm still lost without TiVo. How much is the monthly TiVo cost?

The picture kinda skips on my old Philips receiver. The signal is fine, and the sound never drops out, but it almost acts like a bad VHS tape, where the picture will jump or skip.

GMFreak8 said:
Is there anything special I should know about buying used receivers? My old philips receiver which I've had since 2000 is acting strange, and my stand alone Tivo recently died, so I was thinking of looking around for a used DirecTV Tivo unit. I only use it during the summer months, but I'm still lost without TiVo. How much is the monthly TiVo cost?

The picture kinda skips on my old Philips receiver. The signal is fine, and the sound never drops out, but it almost acts like a bad VHS tape, where the picture will jump or skip.
Seeing you are an existing sub, the only real thing you would need it to call D* to activate, they will have to get you a
new Access CArd , this usually cost $ 20. They will send it out to you.
The TIVO cost is $ 5 p/m

You might want to call D* first, they have has promos going on with the HD DVR lately, you might get a better deal from them, tell them what is happening with your old unit... can't hurt to give it a try.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Seeing you are an existing sub, the only real thing you would need it to call D* to activate, they will have to get you a
new Access CArd , this usually cost $ 20. They will send it out to you.

Or, just take the old card out of the old receiver, put it into the new D* Tivo & have D* remarry it. No need to get a new card, NOR having to do a 2-year committment. ;) ;)

Wow, that's simple enough. I don't want to spend more than I have to for this unit, and activating it. I'll only be using it in the summer months at my "camp".

They won't give me a problem about buying a used unit then I take it?

dishrich said:
As long as it's NOT active on another account, no...

Be my luck, that'll be the case....

Thanks for the information, now I just gotta find a cheap TiVo for sale somewhere....

VIPERS-PIT said:
I believe (but am not 100% sure) that D* will make you replace the card either way.

They might do it, but I can tell you that they don't have to. I had a two year old card pulled from a unit I bought on ebay. CSR activated it, no problem.

Haven't checked WalMart.

Stuart, What's the difference between the R10 and the R15, do they both get their information from the satellite?

dishrich said:
Or, just take the old card out of the old receiver, put it into the new D* Tivo & have D* remarry it. No need to get a new card, NOR having to do a 2-year committment. ;) ;)
Maybe, but doubtful ...

I am sorry I should have p.med you as I didnt want to turn this into a thread for selling recievers, the difference between the R10 and the R15, is the R10 is the tivo based unit, and the R15 is the new directv based unit (the future of Directv recievers) baiscally if you like tivo try to get a R10 (unless you want to hack then you can get any old directivo) but if you want interactivity and the future of Directv get the R15, they are both great recievers, its just pick or choose what interface you like! also yes both recievers downloaded everything from the satellite's teh R15 was a little faster (as its newer better hardware) plus I got it off of Robert at value electronics and only activated it for 2-3 days (some recordings may still be on there!)

I have 3 Tivos for sale all are dual tuners. These are not modified in anyway all stock 35 hr. If anyone is interested PM me. 2 of these are HDVR2 but one of the 2 needs a hard drive. I kept it around for parts if I needed them. The other one is a Samsung SIR S4040R and both the hughes and Samsung are in great working condition. I decided to go with the r15s so thats the only reason I am selling these.

I am sorry again mods, and just for futyure reference everybody, this isnt a thread to sell your stuff, I am sorry I put that in the thread I have since deleted it, Please if you want to sell your stuff put it in the classified!

VIPERS-PIT said:
I believe (but am not 100% sure) that D* will make you replace the card either way.

Iv'e swapped about 4-5 cards on my system and others (Usually when I give someone a used receiver or I inherit one) with no problems from Directv. Now, on the other hand, when Directv enters the receiver Id into their computer, it might come up active on another account, so directv would not activate it in that case.

Last edited:
dishrich said:
For sure - I've done at LEAST a dozen receiver/card swaps with never a problem... ;)

It REALLY depends on the CSR. I've had abt 50-50 luck getting D* to activate used cards.

Hell it's so cheap now, why not just get a new DVR directly from D*? Or, there are literally hundreds of new, sealed R15's on ebay for $100 w/shipping included!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)