BVN (Dutch Channel) in NYC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carmela Vecchione

Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
New York
Hi guys!

I'm Carmela, and I work for a dutch company.
They want to have available at their television the dutch channel BVN, which is free to air here in the USA.
I just know that I need a satellite for that, and it appears to be the Eutelsat 113 West A. I'm not really sure about the procedure to install it, so I was wondering if any of you could help me clarify this and get this finally done.

What would you guys recommend me?
If you can, please I would love to hear back from you with opinions!

Thank you so so much!
Best,
Carmela

Reactions: spongella
BVN looks to be on Ku band on 113W http://www.satbeams.com
12088 Mhz, Horizontal polarity, SR=11718 (see note at end)
I'd recommend a 90 cm dish. THIS ONE comes with the LNBF so that part is complete.
For a receiver, this channel is listed as DVB-S so even an older model may work. But I'd opt for a newer model that also does DVB-S2 as many services are switching to this to use less bandwidth or provide better picture quality.
You can see what I use in my signature below.
Amiko, GeosatPro, Manhattan (am I forgetting any?) seem to be the most recent models.
Between the receiver and the LNBF on the dish a length of RG-6 coax is required. This should be rated at 3Ghz. Dual or quad shield type may also be required depending on where the equipment is installed.Proper grounding is also recommended.

If you don't want to get into the nuts and bolts of installing and setting up the equipment, I'd think I'd call http://www.satelliteav.com.
I am pretty sure they can supply all equipment. And they probably also have local (?) contacts that could 'put it up 'n' hook it up' for you. They are also a member here.

(If I offended any other dealer members that's also capable of meeting her needs, I didn't do it on purpose, But only know (IIRR) that they (may) have the ability)

(note) I cannot confirm BVN 'is there' as I'm too far out of the satellite signal. I have no reception of BVN here. But it's in TheList!

Last edited:
I get BVN, very well here in New Mexixo at 74% signal strenth I would get 1.2 meter dish to pull in the boderline weak signal and the other thing you might get some rain fade from time to time in backeast.:) Hopes that help, this bird is a Mexican btw.for your information.

Hi guys!
thank you so much for the help.
must say it is quite hard absorbing the information you all gave me because I've never dealt with this before.
I'll try Satellite Av because I need a company/expert that can take over the whole process for me during this week.

Still open to suggestions :)
xx
Carmela

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Carmela Vecchione !!!!

Do you need this for a short time? or long term?
If short term and you have a good internet connection, you can stream it live right from their site at BVN.

Welcome to the forum Carmela. Great idea for your company to set up a dish to get BVN, here it comes in very well on Eutelsat 113W. I am about 40 miles West of NYC, if you require some help setting up a dish perhaps I can be of assistance. Not sure where your dish would be set up, on a roof I would imagine... you'd need someone who has experience with FTA, plus you'll need a Ku dish, standard LNB, coaxial cable to run inside your building, and an FTA receiver. The dish would have to be anchored somehow, if it is on a roof it could be using a non-penetrating mount weighed down to hold it in place, or a good, sturdy pole mount affixed to the building.

Getting the dish pointed at 113 W is where the experienced person comes in - first, is there a clear path to the satellite? At your location the azimuth is 244 degrees, in a Westerly direction that is. The dish once installed has to be pointed in that direction, and adjusted (an art as much as a science) using some type of receiver or meter. Anyway am getting ahead of myself, if I can help let me know. I am not a professional installer though, just an FTA enthusiast. You can send me a PM if needed.

Michael was right though, if it is short term or if your company does not want to invest money in a satellite system, the Internet is the best.

This is a long shot, but you could also check if there are any OTA (Over the Air) TV stations that carry BVN. Channel 25 from NYC does not have it. Or you might want to check with a local cable TV if they have any International packages.

Also, a photo below I took this morning, BVN-TV on Eutelsat 113W. Feel free to contact me.

Mario, N2HUN

Attachments

• 100_5247[1].JPG
    100_5247[1].JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
Welcome to the forum Carmela. Great idea for your company to set up a dish to get BVN, here it comes in very well on Eutelsat 113W. I am about 40 miles West of NYC, if you require some help setting up a dish perhaps I can be of assistance. Not sure where your dish would be set up, on a roof I would imagine... you'd need someone who has experience with FTA, plus you'll need a Ku dish, standard LNB, coaxial cable to run inside your building, and an FTA receiver. The dish would have to be anchored somehow, if it is on a roof it could be using a non-penetrating mount weighed down to hold it in place, or a good, sturdy pole mount affixed to the building.

Getting the dish pointed at 113 W is where the experienced person comes in - first, is there a clear path to the satellite? At your location the azimuth is 244 degrees, in a Westerly direction that is. The dish once installed has to be pointed in that direction, and adjusted (an art as much as a science) using some type of receiver or meter. Anyway am getting ahead of myself, if I can help let me know. I am not a professional installer though, just an FTA enthusiast. You can send me a PM if needed.

Michael was right though, if it is short term or if your company does not want to invest money in a satellite system, the Internet is the best.

This is a long shot, but you could also check if there are any OTA (Over the Air) TV stations that carry BVN. Channel 25 from NYC does not have it. Or you might want to check with a local cable TV if they have any International packages.

Also, a photo below I took this morning, BVN-TV on Eutelsat 113W. Feel free to contact me.

Mario, N2HUN
Hi Mario,

Can I have your number, please?

(note) I cannot confirm BVN 'is there' as I'm too far out of the satellite signal. I have no reception of BVN here. But it's in TheList!

Really? With just a 90 cm dish, I have no trouble whatsoever picking up all the Ku signals shown on Lyngsat for Eutelsat 113 West A, and I am located in Minnesota roughly 100 miles south in latitude from Oslo. I actually tune to the Reuters Live Service on that satellite all the time to see breaking international news events.

Agree on via satellite for quality. But don't think that's a concern for most. There are many who subscribe to the two sat. services and think it's the 'cat's meow'. 1080p alone, IMHO, doesn't make it HD.
Jim S, - -
I'll have to qualify receiving Reuters as only when atmospheric conditions allow. Heavy clouds or a light rain and it's GONE. (along with anything else on the sat)

Comes in here pretty well on the East Coast. Seem to remember that at one time Reuters was audio only, with a repeat recording of a woman announcer but now seems to be regular programming

BVN looks to be on Ku band on 113W http://www.satbeams.com
12088 Mhz, Horizontal polarity, SR=11718 (see note at end)
I'd recommend a 90 cm dish. THIS ONE comes with the LNBF so that part is complete.
For a receiver, this channel is listed as DVB-S so even an older model may work. But I'd opt for a newer model that also does DVB-S2 as many services are switching to this to use less bandwidth or provide better picture quality.
You can see what I use in my signature below.
Amiko, GeosatPro, Manhattan (am I forgetting any?) seem to be the most recent models.
Between the receiver and the LNBF on the dish a length of RG-6 coax is required. This should be rated at 3Ghz. Dual or quad shield type may also be required depending on where the equipment is installed.Proper grounding is also recommended.

If you don't want to get into the nuts and bolts of installing and setting up the equipment, I'd think I'd call http://www.satelliteav.com.
I am pretty sure they can supply all equipment. And they probably also have local (?) contacts that could 'put it up 'n' hook it up' for you. They are also a member here.

(If I offended any other dealer members that's also capable of meeting her needs, I didn't do it on purpose, But only know (IIRR) that they (may) have the ability)

According to the BVN.NL website the values are
Transponder 19k
Position 113° west
Frequency 12.089 Mhz
Polarization Horizontal
Symbol Rate 11.719
System DVB-S
Which is slightly different from the post above not sure if that makes a difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)