Bye Bye 921 and maybe E* too

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Well I give up, two 921s and the seocnd one is worse than the first. OTA DTA recordings that are 4:3 for soem reason drop audio ever few minutes. The audio is there, if I rewind I can hear what was dropped. Then the constant hangs and lock ups! For a Linux box this thing has been rebooted more in a few weeks that any Windows box I owned for years. Add to that the horrible E* tech support and well I may dump E* as well. They clearly can;t do advanced technology. And forget the "new techology adopters have to deal with bugs" the 921 is out over a year! As well as the 522 which seems to be plagued with many of the same issues. I suspect I will be moving to D* since I rarely read as many issues as with E* dual tuner receivers. I'm wondering if anyone has a trouble free 921 or are many people just over-looking or ignoring many of the quirks?

D* isnt the answer to all your problems

I have installed several HD Tivo's and they are not without there own quirks. They are super slow to respond to remote codes, they drop audio, video or both during playback on anything other than 480i output. So before you jump ship be aware that HD is quirky as of yet, its getting better, but nobody has it down yet.....

Jon

j5races said:
I have installed several HD Tivo's and they are not without there own quirks. They are super slow to respond to remote codes, they drop audio, video or both during playback on anything other than 480i output. So before you jump ship be aware that HD is quirky as of yet, its getting better, but nobody has it down yet.....

Jon

I guess, but I don;t see any where near the same number of compaints on D* HD Tivo as I do on 921, and the 921 drops audio so frequently it was un watchable. I did notice that the 921 dropped audio on OTA DTA signals that were 4:3 and I did have the 921 set to 1080i, wonder if the scaling was casuing a problem, maybe I shoudl have set 4:3 DTA content to 480i or 480p?

audio drops??

I have never seen or heard rather an audio drop-out. I use the optical output to my yamaha rxv-2500 receiver. Did you have your hooked up digital or just analog. Also what channel/s were you dropping audio on? I watch lots of OTA DTV HD and SD and havent seen this yet. Mine is set for 16X9 and 1080i out thru component video (my tv doesnt have dvi or hdmi).
Jon

j5races said:
I have never seen or heard rather an audio drop-out. I use the optical output to my yamaha rxv-2500 receiver. Did you have your hooked up digital or just analog. Also what channel/s were you dropping audio on? I watch lots of OTA DTV HD and SD and havent seen this yet. Mine is set for 16X9 and 1080i out thru component video (my tv doesnt have dvi or hdmi).
Jon

I had it set to 16x9 and 1080i through DVI and I tried the RCA Audio and optical audio out and both drop. It drops every few minutes on the local NBC (WXIA Atlanta) OTA if it is not a true HD show, also the local CBS. Those are the 2 I watched most. I had 2 different 921s both brand new.

maybe

Could it be that It's NBC's fault. Maybe it has nothing to do with the 921 but NBC??

I dont know but mine works fine in Los Angeles area. Do any other stations do it? what is your signal strength for NBC?? What about just watch the channel 8004 or whatever the sat SD local is when the show is not HD??? Just an idea.....

but

do these audio drops only occur with SD OTA channels??

Do they only occur when recording and watching something else??

And has anyone ever been able to watch a previously recorded HD show, Record an hd show and a sd show at teh same time? does it ever do it?

Jon

j5races said:
Could it be that It's NBC's fault. Maybe it has nothing to do with the 921 but NBC??

I dont know but mine works fine in Los Angeles area. Do any other stations do it? what is your signal strength for NBC?? What about just watch the channel 8004 or whatever the sat SD local is when the show is not HD??? Just an idea.....

NBC is worse, but it happens with CBS content as well, I doubt it is the station as I can rewind thand the missing audio is there, indicating the receiver had it, just did not play it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts