Bye Bye Dish

I had Charter's 1G service with DISH TV. Charter raised the price to $135 for 1G so I reduced to their 400 Mbps speed for $95. Haven't had any issues since reducing. Wife is a school teacher at home zooming all day long with all her students while I watch TV and sometimes do some streaming.
Thats basically the same price structure we have with Sparklight (cable one). Fortunately, its a very very stable service however. No issues since Sparklight took over from Newwave, and upgraded the system.

ATT offers fiber gig speeds on the other side of our very small town at a promo of $49 for a year. Their 25Mbps service in my neighborhood is $70.

Our electric CoOp is also in the process of running fiber to their whole area, which will increase competition and hopefully drive the cable price to a competitive point with the other offerings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thats basically the same price structure we have with Sparklight (cable one). Fortunately, its a very very stable service however. No issues since Sparklight took over from Newwave.

ATT offers fiber gig speeds on the other side of our very small town at a promo of $49 for a year. Their 25Mbps service in my neighborhood is $70.

Our electric CoOp is also in the process of running fiber to their whole area, which will increase competition and hopefully drive the cable price to a competitive point with the other offerings.
AT&T is installing fiber sometime in our area. I hope it drives down the Charter prices and we get better deals.

AT&T is installing fiber sometime in our area. I hope it drives down the Charter prices and we get better deals.
They laid fiber all up and down the roads around here, which is the only reason they even upgraded our previous DSL to 25 from 6.

In new build neighborhoods and to businesses in town however, they finished those up to the premises. Id say probably close a third of the town, and several places right outside have access to the ATT fiber to the home at this point, although it seems that is the brick wall they have been at for a couple of years.

When Dixie electric gets theirs rolled out, at what should be a much faster pace, it may make them consider finishing the build where they already have the fiber buried. Maybe not.

They laid fiber all up and down the roads around here, which is the only reason they even upgraded our previous DSL to 25 from 6.

In new build neighborhoods and to businesses in town however, they finished those up to the premises. Id say probably close a third of the town, and several places right outside have access to the ATT fiber to the home at this point, although it seems that is the brick wall they have been at for a couple of years.

When Dixie electric gets theirs rolled out, at what should be a much faster pace, it may make them consider finishing the build where they already have the fiber buried. Maybe not.
That is nice that some CoOPs are running the fiber to the country folks. How does that work after fiber is run to the premises combining with the home wiring?

That is nice that some CoOPs are running the fiber to the country folks. How does that work after fiber is run to the premises combining with the home wiring?
That I am not sure of. They have it run in several trial areas, but I havent gone out to see how it works once it gets to the home.

That I am not sure of. They have it run in several trial areas, but I havent gone out to see how it works once it gets to the home.
I remember now how Verizon does it in a relative's home in Florida. It took some kind of exotic box that would allow the fiber to work with coax or Cat wiring in the home.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Typical setup on a fiber conversion at the home.

1612369833072.png

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you don't have 4 full EHD's with thousands of hours of recorded programming from years back because... POOFFF, you will loose all those recordings.

With the EHD's I have and multiple thousands of hours of programming, that's 1/2 of the justification I use for the monthly cost of remaining with Dish. I have my own streaming service of my own favorite shows and movies from 10 years back!

So I hope you know all your recorded programming will go into the stratosphere!

So bubye

Spectrum(Charter) promised to not impose caps as a condition of the merger with part of Warner.A few months ago they petitioned the FCC to impose data caps two years early.By a sheer coincidence they dropped that petition in early January(or thereabouts).
How much do you pay?I' m paying 75 for 100 down.Never got an offer to double for 5 bucks more.
What's really needed is competition outside the cities. Too much of the United States has only one quality ISP.While Starlink looks great it is not conceived to be competition in urban areas.
My monthly bill is now $74.99 and $75.38 with taxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts