Bye Dish, Hello Comcast

tdigden

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
With the eminent price increase, no additional HD in sight :mad: and comcast finally offering the HD capable DVR in my area I am switching back to cable. All 4 local networks in HD, HBOHD, ShowHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, INHD1&2. For 16 months I will be paying less to get more HD with the satellite buyback including HD capable PVR = NO BRAINER :D . In another 1 1/2 years we'll see what Direct and Dish have to offer.

I wish comcast was in orange county, ca again instead of the ripoff Adelphia, they were awesome. Dish is great with regular tv than hdtv. Great deal from comcast.

I just did the same thing. Even though I lease my equipment Comcast still gave me the buy back deal and knocked 25 bucks a month off the bill for 16 months. Getting all five premium networks in HD, plus locals without an antenna, all for less than my Dish bill. Too bad Dish wouldn't just lease me a HD DVR. Thats all I really wanted and when I switched to HD and lost the PVR we have had for over 6 years the wife was not pleased ;) I hope Dish gets their act together, they just lost a 7 year customer and don't seem to care either way.

Same here

About to switch to Cox after 4 years with 6 years with DishTV - I want HDTV + DVR and I don't want to buy $500 reciever...

Not only that - after 5 years I than gave up DSL and for same $39 a month I get 4Mb Cable ISP, for $16 a month I get Sunrocket VoIP phone and get rid of Verizon and local phone companies too! Unlimited local and domestic, 30min free International, 2 lines, voice mail, call waiting, the whole 9 yards...

I didn't use the buy back - still cheaper!

I'm not even using the sat buyback program that Adelphia has. I'm keeping my equipment (301, 2 508's, 1 510, DP44, quad LNB, dual LNB, 2 DP dishes) for a little while and then plan to sell it myself. I can get more than the $400 that they offer ($25/month for 16 months). I set up an RMA to return my 21 day old 921 for a refund.

After all that, my monthly cost for MORE programming, all locals in HD except Fox (at the moment), and lease on 3 HD DVR's is less than what I pay Dish. I don't like the User Interface of the SA8300HD DVR as much as the 921, but I've never had to reboot it yet, and it seems to work pretty well.

wmhjr said:
I'm not even using the sat buyback program that Adelphia has. I'm keeping my equipment (301, 2 508's, 1 510, DP44, quad LNB, dual LNB, 2 DP dishes) for a little while and then plan to sell it myself. I can get more than the $400 that they offer ($25/month for 16 months). I set up an RMA to return my 21 day old 921 for a refund.

After all that, my monthly cost for MORE programming, all locals in HD except Fox (at the moment), and lease on 3 HD DVR's is less than what I pay Dish. I don't like the User Interface of the SA8300HD DVR as much as the 921, but I've never had to reboot it yet, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm looking to find a junker sat box to give to Comcast when they come, so I don't have to give them my 721s. They're worth more to some sucker... er other person on eBay. :D :D

my cable company did not make me give them a receiver, just a copy of the bill. they deal was all basic and digital channels, all movie channels for six months, local hd, and indemand channels for around 50 bucks for one year.

korsjs said:
my cable company did not make me give them a receiver, just a copy of the bill. they deal was all basic and digital channels, all movie channels for six months, local hd, and indemand channels for around 50 bucks for one year.
50 bucks a year? I want that deal. :D

korsjs said:

I'm glad you were able to get in on the great deal. :up I spoke to a cable CSR (same company...other side of the bay) and his quote started at $65 for Basic, Digital Tier, Music, HDTV tier + HBO & Showtime (plus boxes and HD DVR). Then it escalated at $10 per month for Cinemax, $10 for The Movie Channel, and $14 for Starz/Encore. By the time he was done...my bill would be right up there with what I now pay E*. BTW, I did mention being an E* customer. Since there's not enough difference in the programming or price between the two and with E*s purchase of VOOM now in the picture...I guess the watching and waiting will continue for awhile longer.

I just reduced my Dish to minimum programing ($24 a month without local channels for 60 channels ) for the next two months till my contract is up (I upgraded to DVR and had to commit for a year).

Dish was costing me $70 (180 channels and HBO/MAX) + 25 for HD and lease = $95.
Cable (Cox) will be $102 that is (3 tiers one HBO)+ HD/DVR lease + second cable box (digital only) so they compare cheaper than Dish!

They offered that I pay $70 a month for 3 months as a switching satelite customer (I don't need to do or give them anything) or (I took this) they take my antenna and reciever (yes its DVR but still a good deal) and I pay $60 a month for next 6 months ($250 savings)...

Yeah, Comcast is really something. I pay 125$ per month for an hd dvr, cable internet, and no premiums.

HD consists of abc, fox, pbs, inhd, inhd2, espnhd and discovery.

That's ridiculous compared to what I recieved with time warner, plus it's more expensive.

TWC HD - abc, fox, nbc, cbs, upn, wb, pbs, inhd, inhd2, hdnet, hdnet movies, espnhd, tnthd, and discoveryhd.

Not to mention the loss of channels for weeks at a time with comcast.

Yeah, woohoo, go comcast!

Don't go.

I've been a DirecTV viewer for years now...and just moved to a new city, but the apt complex I'm at does not allow mounted dishes to building (that's a whole other story) but anyway I don't face south either. So out of only need and no choice, I have to go cable. It just so happens it Comcast. I tried the digital tier because it's cheaper to install (go figure) than basic tier. Let's just say I dropped digital pkg after a month trial, but still have to keep Comcast basic. I hate it. The signal is poor. The selection is fair. I've had other cable carriers and I am not at all impressed with Comcast. My advice? Stay DISH.

azsun22 said:
I've been a DirecTV viewer for years now...and just moved to a new city, but the apt complex I'm at does not allow mounted dishes to building (that's a whole other story) but anyway I don't face south either. So out of only need and no choice, I have to go cable. It just so happens it Comcast. I tried the digital tier because it's cheaper to install (go figure) than basic tier. Let's just say I dropped digital pkg after a month trial, but still have to keep Comcast basic. I hate it. The signal is poor. The selection is fair. I've had other cable carriers and I am not at all impressed with Comcast. My advice? Stay DISH.

azsun22, you should check out the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Basically, the apt complex can't keep you from having a satellite dish up to 1 meter in diameter. Federal law trumps everything on this.

It all depends on what Comcast or any other cable system offers in your area. The analog channels aren't great but I am getting what I wanted, more HD channels including my local channels in HD for less than I was paying E*. Changing to Comcast made sense for my situation. Depending on where you live and what you like to watch, cable may not be for you.

My first post here, woo hoo.

I left Dish for Comcast and I regretted it. I wanted HD and a DVR and Comcast offered it with no money down and no commitment. It's a good thing because two months later and I'm going back to Dish. Picture quality in both SD and HD sucked, the guide was a joke and the DVR storage was minimal for a HD DVR.

1. No favorites so you have to view EVERY single channel they offer in the guide.
2. None of the channels are grouped. Example, there's a MTV channel at 40 something and another at 472. WTF!!!
3. The box is as buggy as can be. We missed CSI last night thanks to the POS Comcast box. Was marked to be recorded in the guide but we noticed about 10 minutes before the end that it wasn't recording on the second tuner. Sure enough, it wasn't and never recorded CSI.
4. For a while we had to start a DVR in order to get a picture anytime you turned the tuner off and back on. That was a ton of fun.
5. SD picture looks like crap, even the digital channels.

Anyone considering Comcast should really think about it first. Just my $.02.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)