bypass hdd on a 622

shorrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
So our 622 has crapped out yet again. (This is the fourth one in five months) and it just reboots and reboots and reboots. anyone have any idea how to stop it so we can at least use the darn thing to watch tv until a new one arrives?

If heat has been your enemy, try this:

Unplug power.
Remove cover. Leave off so heat can escape. Don't lose the little screws. And be sure kids/cat/stuff can't accidentally fall in.
Disconnect SATA connector from mainboard or hard drive, whichever you can get to easier.
Power on.

You'll get a "serious" message because it can't find a hard drive. Push menu and go from there. Enjoy watching TV.

Later, after everything's cooled off, disconnect power, reconnect hard drive, power on. See if it magically fixes itself. Leave the cover off.

If you are getting a replacement, be sure to put it all back together before sending back. :)

If its a leased receiver, I would be very cautious about taking this apart. If Dish discovers it was tampered with, you own it, and if it doesn't work and you own it, you have a pretty expensive door stop!

I have had 2 receivers do as you stated and I really wanted to get shows off that were still in Sat box. What has happened in both cases is that the hard drive seemed to not get enough power.

I pulled the power plug, took the cover off, disconnected the hard drive power cable and being that I had a universal external USB SATA drive power supply and adapter, I only used the power part of the hard drive adapter and started the hard drive spinning then plugged in the sat receiver (being careful nothing can fall in of get touched by someone, something. Both times I had the issue with that it seemed to work enough (although I had to let it cool for a few hours first) to get my programs to the external hard drive. Sometimes it would go back to the rebooting loop but if I powered it all down waited for a few hours then powered the hard drive up first then the sat receiver it usually would let me finish the task. Just be very careful not to damage or loose anything! It seems that the hard drive would draw just enough from the failing power supply to keep it in the reboot loop and disconnecting and using external hard drive power supply allowed it to work temporarily again to get programs off...Hope it works for you!

AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE POWER CORD OF THE RECEIVER TO PREVENT ANY INJURIES.... YOU ASSUME ALL RISK IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY MY SOLUTION!

Bad supply connection

I have had 2 receivers do as you stated and I really wanted to get shows off that were still in Sat box. What has happened in both cases is that the hard drive seemed to not get enough power.

I pulled the power plug, took the cover off, disconnected the hard drive power cable and being that I had a universal external USB SATA drive power supply and adapter, I only used the power part of the hard drive adapter and started the hard drive spinning then plugged in the sat receiver (being careful nothing can fall in of get touched by someone, something. Both times I had the issue with that it seemed to work enough (although I had to let it cool for a few hours first) to get my programs to the external hard drive. Sometimes it would go back to the rebooting loop but if I powered it all down waited for a few hours then powered the hard drive up first then the sat receiver it usually would let me finish the task. Just be very careful not to damage or loose anything! It seems that the hard drive would draw just enough from the failing power supply to keep it in the reboot loop and disconnecting and using external hard drive power supply allowed it to work temporarily again to get programs off...Hope it works for you!

AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE POWER CORD OF THE RECEIVER TO PREVENT ANY INJURIES.... YOU ASSUME ALL RISK IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY MY SOLUTION!

This sounds like the case of the bad power supply connector in the 622 showing up. There have been many reports on problems w/ the connector in the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)