C-band 4DTV Digicipher II question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
I felt the WUT area was the best place for this question so that anyone who responded wouldn't feel restrained from posting openly.

Just when I thought I knew everything (well not really).

4DTV receivers and free channels, I understand that a Sub is needed for access to free channels,is this correct ? or is it only the guide?

If the above statement is true then a sidecar is needed for subscribing correct ?

So a 4DTV receiver is good for 1. Analog, 2. DC 1, 3. DC 2 , and in some receivers as a dish positioner.

So if I didn't want to subscribe to any service, what could I expect to see using this receiver ?

Generics ? If anyone feels they can elaborate a little please do.

And last, as for Lyngsat listings where Digicipher II is listed as Free, is it really free if you must have a sub to watch free channels ?

I moved this out to the C-band area. Question is more of a general one than a feed specific one :)

jayelem said:
4DTV receivers and free channels, I understand that a Sub is needed for access to free channels,is this correct ? or is it only the guide?
I understood it as long as the box was subscribed at one point, you can get the free stuff

If the above statement is true then a sidecar is needed for subscribing correct ?
no. A sidecar is for the old analog boxes (the VCII boxes) tyo allow them to get 4DTV

So a 4DTV receiver is good for 1. Analog, 2. DC 1, 3. DC 2 , and in some receivers as a dish positioner.
correct

So if I didn't want to subscribe to any service, what could I expect to see using this receiver ?

some free channels are on Lyngsat

And last, as for Lyngsat listings where Digicipher II is listed as Free, is it really free if you must have a sub to watch free channels ?
make sure in the far right column there is a red channel number. No channel number, can't get at all.

jayelem said:

You can get anything that is ITC (in the clear), just go to the satellite and run thorugh th TPs. There are 2 MLB games on in analog right now, 3pm EDT. Going to start looking for more shortly.

If you're just looking for ITC stuff, and not planning on subscribing to 4DTV service you might want to start out with an old analog receiver. I've got a Toshiba 1520 and its scanning capabilities are much better than my 922. Couple that with an FTA receiver or PC card, and you'll get the best bang for your buck on ITC channels. You won't get the DCII ITC stuff though. If you go the analog route, it would be better if you get one with a VC2 module. There's a few VC2 channels that are ITC too. The VC2 module can also help you fine tune your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)