C-Band Analog VC II

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I was reading the C Band 6 Foot post. I am unclear concerning C-Band Analog Videocypher II encrypted channels. If I get something like a Uniden UST 4400 with VCII module, will it automatically decrypt the channels, or is it just used for a subscription service like 4DTV is?

It seems like I am beginning to want more and more equipment.

There are a few that are FTA, but most all require a subscription.

But most VCII channels are going away, a 4DTV DSR-922 would be a better investment.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the time.

Oh, also as far as Digital vs. Analog, the LNB is the same. It just means that if I am using a Pansat with C-band dish, I get digital channels only. If I want to view C-band analog then I have to get an old analog receiver, right.

Thanks....

taelon721 said:
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the time.

Oh, also as far as Digital vs. Analog, the LNB is the same. It just means that if I am using a Pansat with C-band dish, I get digital channels only. If I want to view C-band analog then I have to get an old analog receiver, right.

Thanks....

Correct!

Edit-or a 4DTV will get Digicipher digital AND analog. They are more expensive though.

Last edited:
A 6 ft dish is tough to use for the videocypher channels. Some won't lock and those that do have lots of sparklies particularly on G14 and birds near there. TNT is one of the stronger ones.

I was looking at eBay yesterday and noticed that Videocipher cards have different colors.. Like black, blue, green and pink.. Anyone know why..

You have black and grey and maybe a few other colors that are VCII not used anymore.

You also have the VCII+ and VCRS boards thats are mostly pink and blue among a few other colors, these work for analog subscription programming.

There may be a chance that some older VCII boards have been changed by Motorola into VCII+ or VCRS though I am not sure.

Videocipher II (VCII) is the older encryption system that disappeared around 1993. It could be hacked so the broadcasters came out with Videocipher II Plus (VCII+). Shortly thereafter they came out with Videocipher Renewable Security (VCRS). VCII+ and VCRS have a better encryption system and, as far as I know, has not been completely hacked. You can tell the difference between a VCII+ module and a VCRS module by looking on the unit and seeing if it has a smartcard slot. If it does, it is a VCRS. I have never had to use a smartcard to make it decode properly. You can also tell the type of module by the series number on the unit. It will be something like A029 or A040 or A0A1. I have about 30 modules laying around and here's what I found.

A010-A019 series - Videocipher II
A029 series - Videocipher II Plus
A020, A040, A041, A0A1, A0A3 series - Videocipher RS

As far as colors go, here's what my inventory looks like.

Black - A019 - Videocipher II
Blue - A029 - Videocipher II Plus
Dark Blue - A020, A040, A041 - Videocipher II RS
Pink - A029, A040, A0A1, A0A3 - Videocipher II Plus or Videocipher II RS
Pink half with Blue half - A029 - Videocipher II Plus

So colors can determine which type module you have except if it's pink. This is probably more than you wanted but now you know. Have fun.

Thanks for all the help guys. At 34 yrs of age, I am still learning things. I wish I had been playing with this stuff a long time ago, when I could actually afford it. <grin>

I thought I read a while back where they had some of the C-Band boards compromised but were not being hit because there were not enough people messing with it to make it worth while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)