c-band and fta

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rallycrawford

Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hello to all,
I have a motorized 16 foot k-u band mesh dish with dual c band lnbs with a 4dtv box. I have just purchased a viewsat 5000 platinum. I have spent today playing at tunning in the viewsat hooked to one of the c band lnbs with some success. 250 channels across many satellites. Hopefully to-morrow I will collect a new feedhorn, adl, that is supposed to enable both systems, c band and fta (dish network).

BUT I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

My viewsat says main s/w 1.27 and loader 0.06. Having checked the viewsat website and the forums these numbers don't seem to relate to what is available. I have downloaded the latest from viewsat but I cannot tell if they are newer because the numbers are so different.

As for the feedhorn and lnb, what should I be using ? Should I have a c band lnb with polalizer and a ku lnb or do I need some sort of "special" lnb/feedhorn combination to enable both systems to work ?

Do I need one of these desqui switches to make it all work ?

The internet is a wonderfull source of information but at the moment I am only finding information that is beyond me as a newbie to fta. I have a pretty good understanding of c-band.

One last question. Is there a list available that will show me what satellites and channels I can hope to recieve ?

regards to all Dave

rallycrawford said:
Hopefully to-morrow I will collect a new feedhorn, adl, that is supposed to enable both systems, c band and fta (dish network).
Hello,
Dish Network is NOT FTA. While we are a nice bunch of folks here at satellite guys, HACK TALK IS NOT ALLOWED. Will a mod please take a look at this post?

drhydro said:
Hello,
Dish Network is NOT FTA. While we are a nice bunch of folks here at satellite guys, HACK TALK IS NOT ALLOWED. Will a mod please take a look at this post?

Hey Doc,

I don't see anything in his post that is obviously hack talk. There is FTA on Dish network, not a lot, but channels like NASA and GolTV are favorites of a lot of FTA'ers. Iceberg keeps a sticky on the FTA/MPEG2 FAQ forum of channels that can be legally received.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34131

Mike

Guess i read it wrong, sure looked like he was looking to get all the dn stuff, esp. after he mentioned he read on the web that he had the wrong software on his new viewsat STB. If not, my apologies.

Last edited:
drhydro said:
Hello,

What hack talk?????

99% of the time when folks talk about getting dishnetwork as FTA they are talking about hacking. There are a couple of channels (video) and a bunch of audio on 119 and 110 sats that IS FTA, but when folks talk bout changing software on thier reciever and getting dishnetwork they are almost always talking about hacking DN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)