C-Band Dish and Ku Dish One Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Michael Nixon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I have a question, is it possible to have a motorized BUD for C Band and a motorized KU Band 30"+ dish and have the receiver contrail both of them?

A great many people do exactly this. There are a bunch of different ways to configure it depending on your preference and specific equipment.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Yes, very simple and several ways. Here is one example:

Receiver>>>ASC1>>>22KHz Switch.

22KHz Switch port1 to KU-band motor then to KU LNBF.

22KHz Switch port2 to C-band LNBF.

The receiver would be programmed to switch between the two LNBFs and issue USALS motor commands for KU motor control and DiSEqC 1.2 motor commands to have the ASC1 control the C-band motor.

Reactions: Cham and T134
I've done this using a diseqc switch too: receiver -> asc1 -> usals motor -> diseqc switch -port1 to C band LNB, port 2 to Ku LNB, port3 to Ku LNBF (on motor), port 4 to Ku LNBF stationary @ 125w. Set C-band sats for diseqc positioning and Ku for USALS (ones I don't point the C-band dish at...). Seemed to work until the setup gets struck by lightning... :(

I use : receiver -> diseqc port 1 -> vbox -> c-band motor diseqc port 2 -> ku motor. This way I can use diseqc 1.2 commands to the ku motor as well.

Thanks guys, so if I get a 2 tuner receiver I can watch 1 program on 1 sat and record another on a different sat? I'm brand new @ this and just trying to figure out what to buy. WOW what a rush

Yes, but it gets more complicated when using multiple tuners/receivers. The motor control and polarity selection requires wiring changes and the LNBFs must either have multiple outputs or be "bandstacked".

Unfortunately, the dual tuner receivers that are on the market are not the best choice for the FTA hobbyist. I would start with a single tuner model and if you enjoy the hobby, add receivers or build a HTPC with multiple tuners.

Yes, recording one while watching another does require separate LNBFs for each satellite. I do well with a dual tuner Azbox HDPremium Plus, to record and watch simultaneously. It is no longer on the market. I use this frequently since I am in a location where OTA reception is a real challenge.

ok, so I cant allocate ku to 1 tuner and 1 tuner to c band? Is the only benefit to doing this for the purest signal because some people say combo lnb's don't work well? Oh is a 12 foot dish much better than a 10 foot one?

Not suggesting a combo C/KU unit. You are correct, the performance on combos are unpredictable and most have poor results. I was suggesting using a KU-band LNBF with dual outputs and a C-band LNBF with dual outputs or bandstacked versions of a separate KU and C-band LNBFs.

Yes, you could connect C-band LNBF to one tuner and KU-band LNBF to the other, but the dual tuner receivers are rare in North American market. The last one that was sold had problems managing the two tuners and is no longer sold. There are some great multiple tuner models from Europe, but be prepared for very high cost and little or no support for a North American user.

Bigger is better. If you can install a quality c-band dish, 12 foot will provide better signal quality than a 10 foot. The DVBS2 signals require the best signal possible to reliably lock.

I know this is asking a lot but could you PLEASE draw a diagram of how I should do this and any recommended equipment I should buy. To install a 12' dish I'd need a 4"X12' pipe? Any idea who sells them?

Not suggesting a combo C/KU unit. You are correct, the performance on combos are unpredictable and most have poor results. I was suggesting using a KU-band LNBF with dual outputs and a C-band LNBF with dual outputs or bandstacked versions of a separate KU and C-band LNBFs.

Yes, you could connect C-band LNBF to one tuner and KU-band LNBF to the other, but the dual tuner receivers are rare in North American market. The last one that was sold had problems managing the two tuners and is no longer sold. There are some great multiple tuner models from Europe, but be prepared for very high cost and little or no support for a North American user.

Bigger is better. If you can install a quality c-band dish, 12 foot will provide better signal quality than a 10 foot. The DVBS2 signals require the best signal possible to reliably lock.

Big shocker but once again I fully agree with Brian. :) There are some massively junk C/Ku combos out there. Even if you have a decent one they often still won't work. Your dish has to be perfect...no warpage, pristine mesh/panels just to get enough Ku to the combo unit. Assuming that is all good (normally it isn't on old dishes and even cheap new ones) tuning a C/Ku for the sweet spot can be very difficult. Just not worth the frustration and likely poor results when you can run a 1 meter for Ku with superior results.

Twin tuners from almost every brand have issues somewhere. They just aren't like a DirecTV box where you plug it in and everything works seamlessly. The only one I saw finally work correctly was the Amiko 8840. It took a long time to get the SW right for that to happen and I think that model is no longer in production. In any case we're not doing twin tuners right now in NA, there just isn't enough demand to justify the extra cost of importing and maintaining a quality twin tuner model.

Another thought, most guys in this hobby have 2, 3, 10, a million STB's. Pick two you like and hook them up. Two good independent STB's will always be better than a twin or triple unit.

STB - Set-Top Box (satellite receiver).

Please consider starting with a single fixed KU dish and grow from there. Equipment suggestions:
1. Buy the GEOSATpro 90cm dish and LNBF combo on Ebay ($99) and ask them in the purchase message to upgrade the single output LNBF to a dual output model. (+$10).

2. Buy the Amiko mini HD SE on Ebay ($99).

3. If you want to add a motor after you first install the fixed dish, buy the STAB HH90 motor on Ebay ($59.27)

Whole you get this system installed and familiar with the set-up and menus, search the local area for a used c-band dish. Craigslist usually has a few for free or close to it. If you don't find one on CraigsList, drive around and knock on a few doors if there is a big old dish sitting on the property. Once you get the dish, then you will know if you need to buy the pipe, diameter and length.

Reactions: T134
wow you sure know how to rain on my parade but you're probably right, start slow.

...To install a 12' dish I'd need a 4"X12' pipe? Any idea who sells them?

You are talking about some $erious loot if you are asking about purchasing a new 12' dish and mount. Might find a used one "In the wild" if you go hunting. I found a 12' Unimesh 3 hrs away...$50.

And as far as the pipe size (diameter) goes, it just depends on the mount...length is determined by how high off the ground you want it. You need 3'-4' in the ground (minimum) for a 12' dish, depending on soil conditions, wind exposure, etc.

Like what 600.00? If I could buy it one time and forget it thats not too too bad. I've been looking around on the net and the prices are allover the place. I'm sure the lesser priced ones are crap and need to be avoided. If I was going to buy I just want something that would last, thats why I'm asking questions you guys are smart and been there done that.

Not sure if anyone is making/selling a 12' "consumer-grade" mesh dish anymore. A new commercial dish and mount will be several thousand dollars.

If you look around you may find a nice used 10 footer for cheap/free. That would be plenty of dish for 95%+ of the signals that are up there now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts