C-Band Dish size for 4DTV HDTV ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If I can help you on PCI DVB-S , holler . I have some experience with the cards on Ku . If I get one of my scrounged dished up and going , I will pass along what I learn on C band & DVB-S .

Did pick up a hand full of DVB channels with my 90cm ( 36" ) mini-bud , one was a Warner Brothers HD channel , but it was on the border line as far as signal strength & quality . Only got occasional flashes of picture . :-(

I have to tell you , I had some what of a learning curve when I started Ku & the card . :)

Best of luck,
Wyr

Gary Murrell said:
Yeah it's just the camera angle Charper ;) and the cover is flopped on there where I was snooping inside, haven't looked at the lnb's closely yet, pretty sure it's a c-band only feed and lnb setup
I was a little worried about the warpage, but for a dish this size 1/3 to 1/4 a inch wouldn't seem to be squat(to a newb like me), I am pretty new to C-Band so I wasn't sure :)
thanks for the advice Jeff, I do plan on going full HDTV 4DTV
can't wait to get 4DTV and PC DVB card going, my dreams everynight now will consist of Motorola announcing a megapipe unit :D or me finding a way to activate a DSR-4800 :D :eek:
-Gary

Welcome Squeeze

Squeeze said:
I have a 12 foot mesh dish and it has a von wies 24 inch and to be honest!
untill before christmas I never even heard of 4dtv, it was when I tried to get some programming on it, they told me there was squat!
The guy suggested I look into 4dtv, I bought a 920 off of ebay and swapped of my gi 2650r and was subsequently blown away!!!!!
I only had c-band lnb and it was a norsat form 1988 and it pulled in every channel on every sat!,I have trees in my yard and the dish see's though them well, I did however upgrade to a co-rotor and have not peaked it yet, but it gets all the c-band but is weak in the ku, the trees are set for dispatch!!!!
I have not touched or tweaked the dish since it was installed in 88' in the spring I will attempt to "dial it in" anyways good luck and have fun,it is worth the effort!!!

Welcome Squeeze.

I have also had a BUD since the late 70's. I switched to a 4dtv in 97 when they came out

A little tweaking will go a long way, especially with the KU band. Like you I had not really tweaked my dish for years and took the BUD for granted.

Well, a whole chain of events led me to upgrade the 920 to a 922, get an HDD200, and an FTA setup. It was KU FTA that really made me dig into it!

I had originally planned to use the BUD for FTA thru the winter and then put up a dedicated FTA system (it is here, but do not feel like it in the cold). I finally got the BUD dialed in almost perfectly with the help of a Birdog sat meter. Even though I was Very close...the birdog got me even closer

When I got to tweaking the dish, a whole new world opened up again! Those transponders on G1 with HBO, Max etc, even came roaring in with a quality of 56+ on my 8 footer. Like you, I have a very old Norstat 15d C LNB and a slightly newer Norstat .6 Ku LNB. PQ is pretty near perfect these days...IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!

I must say that my unopened Feedhorn Cover provided a nice shelter for a huge wasp colony for who knows how many years!!!!! Luckily I opened it in the winter:D

ENJOY!!
Good Luck!
Jeff

Gary Murrell said:
Yeah I am refurbishing it as we speak, replacing bolts and hardware, I am going to get the slight warping out of it and make it even stronger
anyone have any Actuator Suggestions ??
-Gary

I've got a 24" Von Weise on mine. It seems to be a pretty good arm. My dish isn't as large as yours, although being spun aluminum it may catch just as much wind. The Venture arms tdti1 mentioned have a very good reputation too. The main thing you probaly want to watch out for is going with one of the cheaper arms that are out there. You need a good quality arm for that beast you're installing. :)

thomson saginaw makes the best (imho) actuators out there, but they are pricey.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)