C-Band Dish size for 4DTV HDTV ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
nailzs said:
Looks interesting but could you sync both servo motors for H and V polarity at the same time, or does the 4DTV store H and V for KU separately?

Can not say , do not own one of those , nor do I own a 4DTV receiver .

Wyr

Holy sh*t guys :eek:

I just killed myself along with 2 other family members out in the cold 40 degrees rain here in Kentucky

it paid off :), I got the Dish home, one edge of a mesh panel has popped out from underneath the rib(easy fix)

I found one hole in the mesh around the size of a M and M candy, about 2 foot out from the center

and OMG, this thing is a friggin 12 footer, massive-heavy beast and in perfect shape

a pencil doesn't come close to going thru the mesh holes :)

the neighbor said he hasn't used it in 15 years, it is a 12 foot "Janiel Dark Star", mesh and fiberglass/plastic, seems to be in perfect shape, polar mount is really rusty and the actuator is old, so I will prolly get a new one of those

it has 3 elastic guy wires and the Dish is very very close to being perfectly true, it is just a little warped, which I can striaghten out

I am in C-Band heaven, 4DTV here I come, untouched HDTV :D :D :D

here is a pic of my new baby

dish.jpg

dish2.jpg

now time to order up a 920 with R5000-HD modification

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
Holy sh*t guys :eek:
I just killed myself along with 2 other family members out in the cold 40 degrees rain here in Kentucky
it paid off :), I got the Dish home, one edge of a mesh panel has popped out from underneath the rib(easy fix)
I found one hole in the mesh around the size of a M and M candy, about 2 foot out from the center
and OMG, this thing is a friggin 12 footer, massive-heavy beast and in perfect shape
a pencil doesn't come close to going thru the mesh holes :)
the neighbor said he hasn't used it in 15 years, it is a 12 foot "Janiel Dark Star", mesh and fiberglass/plastic, seems to be in perfect shape, polar mount is really rusty and the actuator is old, so I will prolly get a new one of those
it has 3 elastic guy wires and the Dish is very very close to being perfectly true, it is just a little warped, which I can striaghten out
I am in C-Band heaven, 4DTV here I come, untouched HDTV :D :D :D
here is a pic of my new baby
dish.jpg

dish2.jpg

now time to order up a 920 with R5000-HD modification
-Gary

Nice dish :) here are the best deals on the 922:
http://www.callnps.com/4dtv.htm
http://skyvision.com/store/399_4dtv.html

If you want the HDD 200 I think Skyvision does a deal on than when buying the 4dtv with it.

Guys I have checked it for warpage, I used the string method and checked it everyway I could

the farthest the strings were ever apart(at center) was around 1/3 to 1/4 a inch, most ways I tested the strings were touching

What is bad warpage??

thanks TD, I think 12 foot is overkill for me, but what the heck, for a freebie(not even gas involved) who can complain, I just hope that 1/3" of warpage is not too much and will screw me :(

I have also read about buttonhook problems, I will try and rig up around 4 or 5 Guy wires to get him perfectly centered and maybe help the dish warpage

-Gary

Last edited:
The feedhorn assembly in that first photo looks bent way out of alignment, it may be the angle of the dish in relation to the camera.

Now it is a

tdti1 said:
Nice dish :) here are the best deals on the 922:
http://www.callnps.com/4dtv.htm
http://skyvision.com/store/399_4dtv.html
If you want the HDD 200 I think Skyvision does a deal on than when buying the 4dtv with it.

HUGE find! I think you will be just fine with that warpage and it was probably the same when it was new! With a decent LNB, you will be in 4DTV land big time! Who knows what LNB(s) lurk beneath that feedhorn cover!

I have learned the hard way of how wise (unknowingly) I was at the time, for chosing a good Norstat C LNB to replace my aging Toshiba LNB. 4DTV digital brought additional requirements for the LNB which eliminated a lot of cheap ones that were ok for analog. Then came the Co Rotor II and then the ku LNB unused until recently for FTA. (tried Satellite Internet for a while but surrendered)

One word...as you have found out by now...12 footers are not light, and you will need a good quality actuator for that beast. They act like big catcher's mitts in a wind storm (as does my 8 ft perf alum dish!)

It is hard to explain to family or friends when the importance of securing a nice dish always comes before a little weather!! <grin>.

Also the damage to the mesh does not look too bad at all.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing. probably has declination/look angle already close to being dialed in too! Wait until you see the 4dtv picture! And if you get an Hd decoder with a 4DTV..watch out!
YOU DOG!

(I must admit a sense of awe after returning from a friends who has pizza stuff and A FUJITSU 50+ Plasma. Unfortunately, the Fujitsu is ruined by the dish program(s).My setup is way better! 4DTV was great in 1997 and is still great for PQ!
jeff.

Last edited:
Yeah it's just the camera angle Charper ;) and the cover is flopped on there where I was snooping inside, haven't looked at the lnb's closely yet, pretty sure it's a c-band only feed and lnb setup

I was a little worried about the warpage, but for a dish this size 1/3 to 1/4 a inch wouldn't seem to be squat(to a newb like me), I am pretty new to C-Band so I wasn't sure :)

thanks for the advice Jeff, I do plan on going full HDTV 4DTV

can't wait to get 4DTV and PC DVB card going, my dreams everynight now will consist of Motorola announcing a megapipe unit :D or me finding a way to activate a DSR-4800 :D :eek:

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
Yeah it's just the camera angle Charper ;) and the cover is flopped on there where I was snooping inside, haven't looked at the lnb's closely yet, pretty sure it's a c-band only feed and lnb setup
I was a little worried about the warpage, but for a dish this size 1/3 to 1/4 a inch wouldn't seem to be squat(to a newb like me), I am pretty new to C-Band do I didn't know :)
thanks for the advice Jeff, I do plan on going full HDTV 4DTV
can't wait to get 4DTV and PC DVB card going, my dreams everynight now will consist of Motorola announcing a megapipe unit :D or me finding a way to activate a DSR-4800 :D :eek:
-Gary

If it is warped you will not notice much on C-band but on Ku-band it may give a problem, the warp sounds small and I think with good lnb's and great alignment all should be fine :)

Make sure to do overkill for the install for that 12'

Hey Guys,
Check out my laptop playing back some of the stuff I recorded off of c-band using my twinhahn dvb sat card. I posted them in the member equipment photos in this forum.

Update: I just added my pics of my 2 BUDS, I cant seem to remember what I did with the wave-guide elbow for the smaller dish therefore I can't put the feedhorn cover on
due to huge size of the Dawnco/Norsat LNB I just put on about a month ago. I think I should paint it too. LOL

Last edited:
TheRedknight said:
Would a Solid panel 6 foot dish be big enough to receive C-band instead of mesh
Oh you'll defintly receive c-band with a 6 foot mesh or solid dish. But you might run into some problems with the weaker transponders. My 6 foot mesh receives most 4dtv channels. Not all but MOST.

TheRedknight said:
Would a Solid panel 6 foot dish be big enough to receive C-band instead of mesh

No 8.5' is needed, 10' or larger is better, if you want to play around and sub to a few channels a well tuned 6' dish will pick up feeds, though I do not recommend it.

6' would must likely fit on my patio without too much problem.
I live in a condo but I've got the top floor with a private deck that has a clear view anything east of 130 W
tdti1 I'm in Montreal too. North-East. Is there a place locally that has a decent prices on c-band stuff ?

Yeah I am refurbishing it as we speak, replacing bolts and hardware, I am going to get the slight warping out of it and make it even stronger

anyone have any Actuator Suggestions ??

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
Yeah I am refurbishing it as we speak, replacing bolts and hardware, I am going to get the slight warping out of it and make it even stronger
anyone have any Actuator Suggestions ??
-Gary

Since its a 12' I would go with the Venture ball screw 24" or 36" bit pricey but it will last a very long time.

I have a 12 foot mesh dish and it has a von wies 24 inch and to be honest!
untill before christmas I never even heard of 4dtv, it was when I tried to get some programming on it, they told me there was squat!
The guy suggested I look into 4dtv, I bought a 920 off of ebay and swapped of my gi 2650r and was subsequently blown away!!!!!
I only had c-band lnb and it was a norsat form 1988 and it pulled in every channel on every sat!,I have trees in my yard and the dish see's though them well, I did however upgrade to a co-rotor and have not peaked it yet, but it gets all the c-band but is weak in the ku, the trees are set for dispatch!!!!
I have not touched or tweaked the dish since it was installed in 88' in the spring I will attempt to "dial it in" anyways good luck and have fun,it is worth the effort!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)