C-band dish to receive Directv programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
Does anybody know if it is still possible to receive Directv progamming using a c-band dish? I ask because awhile ago I saw Skyvision selling an adapter to receive DBS programming.

If I recall that adapter allowed you to attach a directv lnb to your dish.

Not sure how it would work now since directv now uses a 5 lnb setup using ku and ka band.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I won't say "no" for certain, but I'll bet it came with a little dish. :)

Generally, it's unwise to try to mix FTA & DBS reception on a common dish.
At least for dishNetwork, their receiver is always hunting for signal, and it get very upset if the bird is lost.
ALSO, no DBS installer would troubleshoot anything but a stock-standard configuration.

Last but not least, most of DirecTV is now on a couple of Ka band birds, and alignment is critical compared to Ku.

Edit: if you just want 101w Ku (standard def), put up a stock 18" and be done. ;)

iPhone 4

If I recall that adapter allowed you to attach a directv lnb to your dish.

Not sure how it would work now since directv now uses a 5 lnb setup using ku and ka band.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
My Directv dish uses the single lnb to pickup the 99,101, and 103 satellites. So, I am not sure if that would be a issue. The good question is if I found the adapter is it capable of receiving their HD signal?

I won't say "no" for certain, but I'll bet it came with a little dish. :)

Generally, it's unwise to try to mix FTA & DBS reception on a common dish.
At least for dishNetwork, their receiver is always hunting for signal, and it get very upset if the bird is lost.
ALSO, no DBS installer would troubleshoot anything but a stock-standard configuration.

Last but not least, most of DirecTV is now on a couple of Ka band birds, and alignment is critical compared to Ku.

Edit: if you just want 101w Ku (standard def), put up a stock 18" and be done. ;)

iPhone 4

Well if it would work I would be using 1 of my 2 10ft Winegard quadstar dishes I have sitting around at my house. With a dish that big I am not sure if it would be that hard to tune even though I remember tuning the ku-band side was a little touchy. The reason I would not mind doing this is because of long outages with their HD signal, their SD signal holds pretty good.

Kinda hard to guess about a device without documentation.
Get us a link, and I'm sure we can discuss.

As for Ka on the 10' dish, not a snowballs chance ... ;)

If you want to gather more Ku on 101, I'd use a dedicated .9, 1.0, or 1.2 meter (fixed) dish.
(I think you would get more signal)

You'd still have a problem substuting that signal for the one off your Slimline, though.

iPhone 4

My Directv dish uses the single lnb to pickup the 99,101, and 103 satellites. So, I am not sure if that would be a issue. The good question is if I found the adapter is it capable of receiving their HD signal?

the issue is it isnt a single LNB. Its 3 different LNB's in that casing because you are seeing 3 different satellites. Once you start trying with a larger dish the gap between the LNB's gets greater. As example in Hawaii they need a 1.2m dish.
Here is the LNB
http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/dtv-99-101-103-directv-lnb-kit-alaska-hawaii-p-148.html

note the eyeballs are spread apart ;)

So trying that on a C-Band dish aint gonna work at all.....

there was and probably is one out there, at the time it sold for 70 -120 it was built right into the scaler , i tried to hook one up just placing it ( mounting it beside my scaler on my c band dish ) reception was bad in the mid 60's with a 10 ft dish that was just a single lnb built into the scaler nowdays multiple lnb setups that dtv is using its not likely a good investment and i'm certain no hd from it maybe sd with the single eye lnbf

i wouldn't use it but ..... your mileage might vary scaler ring

sounds like a misaligned dish....

Not necessarily. Down here in the sunny South rain fade is a real problem with Ka. Its one of the reasons I dumped Directv. I had 99-100 signal on all TP's and a anything heavier than a gentle rain dropped the signals to 0's across the board. I have talked to other people with the slimline dish and Ka HD and they all say the same thing, get a book when it rains unless you are watching SD/Ku. :D

Although I am not all convinced that a 1.0 or even a 1.2 solid would work better on Ka. Even if you could figure out how to make the separate dishes talk to the receiver. :cool:

sounds like a misaligned dish....

Well I had Directv come out about 2 weeks ago and he said the receiver is producing the 4 digit code showing the installation/signal is good. Now I am sure that just because it produced that code doesn't mean that the dish could be out of alignment by a hair, which would surely affect the harder to receive satellite(s).

there was and probably is one out there, at the time it sold for 70 -120 it was built right into the scaler , i tried to hook one up just placing it ( mounting it beside my scaler on my c band dish ) reception was bad in the mid 60's with a 10 ft dish that was just a single lnb built into the scaler nowdays multiple lnb setups that dtv is using its not likely a good investment and i'm certain no hd from it maybe sd with the single eye lnbf

i wouldn't use it but ..... your mileage might vary scaler ring

Well if it won't do HD then I am not interested, which I kinda figured it probably wouldn't.

Not necessarily. Down here in the sunny South rain fade is a real problem with Ka. Its one of the reasons I dumped Directv. I had 99-100 signal on all TP's and a anything heavier than a gentle rain dropped the signals to 0's across the board. I have talked to other people with the slimline dish and Ka HD and they all say the same thing, get a book when it rains unless you are watching SD/Ku. :D

Although I am not all convinced that a 1.0 or even a 1.2 solid would work better on Ka. Even if you could figure out how to make the separate dishes talk to the receiver. :cool:

Yeah I was told that Dish uses a different technology for their HD signal and when I was with them in my opinion it held better. Otherwise I really don't have any other complaints about Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)