C-Band FAQ's idea thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sounds like a good Idea!!!

dfergie said:
Since there is not a thread on this and there seems to be renewed interest in BUD's... lets all put our ideas in this thread, from which a proper FAQ's Thread can be made and maintained.

Got my vote! <4DTV is still my Satellite 1st love!! FTA is nice but I like the big Mushroom!!
jeff

Sounds like a good Idea!!!

dfergie said:
Since there is not a thread on this and there seems to be renewed interest in BUD's... lets all put our ideas in this thread, from which a proper FAQ's Thread can be made and maintained.

Damn just made a list and hit the wrong key...vanished!!! will try again IN A MOMENT!

HERE IS A NICE LINK!
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor797917

YOU WILL NEED AN 8-10 FT BUD (DEPENDS ON LOCATION) BIGGER THE BETTER!
AN APPROPRIATE (DIRECT BURIAL) WIRING HARNESS WITH 2 RG-6 LEADS, 2 SERVO LEADS, 3 POLORATOR LEADS AND 2 HEAVY POWER LEADS
C BAND LNB (KU LNB IS A NICE OPTION)
FEED HORN (I LIKE THE CHAPARAL CO ROTOR 2)
A VCII DESCRAMBLER FOR ANALOG (OPTIONAL) DIGICIPHER DIGITAL DESCRAMBLER IS BUILT INTO THE RECEIVER!
A SIX FOOT POLE ABOVE THE GROUND (3.5-4.0 INCHES IN DIA DEPENDING ON WHICH MOUNT YOU GET)...MINE GOES DOWN ANOTHER 3 FT INTO A CEMENT FOUNDATION
A GOOD VIEW OF THE CLARK BELT (AT LEAST 83D EAST-133D WEST IMHO) A COMPASS AND LEVEL
A GOOD DISH MOVER...I LIKE THE SUPERJACK 24 INCH MODEL ...MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND SOLID
A GOOD PROVIDER LIKE NPS, SKYVISION THAT IS NOT TOO FAR IN BED WITH THE LITTLE DISH GUYS (FREE STUFF UP THERE TOO!)
AN HDD200 HD UNIT (OPTIONAL FOR HD IF YOU HAVE ONE) tHE ONE BEING BUILT IN IS LIKE $700 VS ABOUT $300 FOR A REBUILT HDD200!
DOLBY DIGITAL HOME THEATER RECEIVER FOR THE GREAT DIGITAL SOUND (OPTIONAL BUT GREAT, ON THE 922 ESPECIALLY)
75OHM COAX FOR DIGITAL SOUND (AC3) (OPTIONAL)
SVHS CABLE (OPTIONAL BUT SO MUCH BETTER THAN COMPOSITE...IF YOU USE AN HDD200...COMPONENT VIDEO CABLES!

OF COURSE A REBUILT 4DTV 920 OR PREFERABLY A NEW 922 4DTV RECEIVER!

SURE THERE IS MORE BUT OTHERS WILL ADD!

JEFF

Last edited:
My Pleasure!

dfergie said:
Good one!... Will start the FAQ's Thread and keep it closed... any mod will add new items to it... Thanks gizzer777

IT IS A PLEASURE TO DO THIS FOR NEWBIES...GOT LOTS OF HELP WITH MY FTA THIS WAY!

DMS has a great simplified diagram for adding a FTA receiver to an existing BUD system:

http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

SatMaster+ is a GREAT piece of software with a free demo that will give you the angles to help you setup a polar mount. You can get it here:

http://www.arrowe.com/index.html

The elevation and declination settings are kind of confusing on a polar mount as compared to setting up a SG2100.

Some ideas.

Start by getting a analog receiver and a signal meter. Some receiver have meters but a in-line SF-95 helps a lot. If you already have a digital receiver and have received some ku sats then you can start with that receiver. Why start with analog? It's a lot easier to position a dish on a analog signal than a digital one. There receivers are on e-bay, hamfests, garage sales, or sometimes given away with a dish. Once you find some sats with analog then get a digital reciever and look for digital signals on that sat.

Two look for dishes. There are many people who have dishes they want to get rid of. Just stop and ask if the dish looks un-used. Bring a measuring tape to find out what size it is. http://www.freecycle.org is another good place to ask. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It uses yahoo groups to post messages for a given area.

dfergie said:
:welcome to SatelliteGuys ... BUDs are still worth having for sure...

Texanmutt said:
Is there any way to use a diseqc switch for a c/ku band receiver? Perhaps something that will hook up in-line that lets use the switch to select different dishes ?
The 4DTV / Analog receivers won't control a DiSEQc switch that I know of. Some people have used A/B switches to select different sats or even setup a fixed small dish for X4 connected to the Ku side. This is especially usefull for guys who have dishes with large mesh that can't do Ku.

My HTS System had built in options for a 22k switch. If you receiver will support it, it would let you select a couple different LNBs (or dishes).

Shawn

A VCII Link for the faq...

dfergie said:

here is a nice VCII link for the faq! <EDITED OUT BY GIZZER>

(REMOVED DUE TO SOME ILLEGAL STUFF I HAD NOT NOTICED AT FIRST...SHAME SINCE IT HAD SOME USEFULL INFO TOO!

regards
Jeff

Last edited:
4DTV Passwords:

Installer password override: 92121

Entering this password will get you into the installer menu where you can set your own password. I've read that this number is GI's Zip Code :cool:.

Parental Lock Password reset:

Call your service provider and they can do this for you. I did this earlier today with NPS :).

These two are VERY handy when using a used / second hand reciever.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
4DTV Passwords:

Installer password override: 92121

Entering this password will get you into the installer menu where you can set your own password. I've read that this number is GI's Zip Code :cool:.

Parental Lock Password reset:

Call your service provider and they can do this for you. I did this earlier today with NPS :).

These two are VERY handy when using a used / second hand reciever.

Shawn
added to FAQ's... (been away for a few days)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts