C Band fta satellites?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
rv1pop, I now understand your post and that's what I had wrong, I am a super-dork! I now have color and audio and (so far) my ignorance has not caused anything to explode!

Thank you all a ton for your help, I'm going to go play some more. :)

I'm not sure I understand your post but it sounds like this may be my problem. The jacks on the back of the Visionsat are marked "Y", "Pb" & "Pr". I have Y hooked to Video in and Pb & Pr hooked to the audio inputs on the tv, is that correct? I don't recognize the terms Pb & Pr, I just assumed they were audio left and right. Still no audio and no color. I'm getting excellent (albeit b & w) video on all channels, level of 88 and quality of 92-94.
No this is incorrect. All 3 (Y/Pb/Pr) are for video, the Y is yellow, Pb is for blue, the Pr is for red, or something like that? I don't have a Visionsat, but it should also have a red and white A/V for audio and a yellow one for video? That would work for the connections you've used on your tv? If your tv has a Y/Pb/Pr connection, you will also need a separate A/V cable for the audio? The Visionsat may also have an S-Video plug on it?

yep there are 2 sets of a/v plugs

the 4 all together are red yellow white. Those are the A/V plugs
the 4th shows spdif and that is for AC-3
there is a s-video and the other 3 are for composite (or is it component...I get those 2 mixed up)

I'm pretty sure I was on G4-10 (Big 12 bball :D )when I did my blind scan, I forgot about polarity. I'll go to a H channel and rescan.

most of the stuff on G4 is H polarity

Otherwise try and see if you can get the Equity stuff (RTN Retro TV Network)

G3
95W

H

No this is incorrect. All 3 (Y/Pb/Pr) are for video, the Y is yellow, Pb is for blue, the Pr is for red, or something like that? I don't have a Visionsat, but it should also have a red and white A/V for audio and a yellow one for video? That would work for the connections you've used on your tv? If your tv has a Y/Pb/Pr connection, you will also need a separate A/V cable for the audio? The Visionsat may also have an S-Video plug on it?

Yep, that's what it was, after I put my reading glasses on things got a lot easier to figure out. ;) I was using the wrong set of jacks. :eek:

most of the stuff on G4 is H polarity

Otherwise try and see if you can get the Equity stuff (RTN Retro TV Network)

G3
95W

H

I was nailing all the Puerto Rican networks, a couple of religious channels and some others, picture quality of the nets is WAY beyond what we get OTA here. If we can't get ANYTHING else I'll be happy with this receiver. :D

I was nailing all the Puerto Rican networks, a couple of religious channels and some others, picture quality of the nets is WAY beyond what we get OTA here. If we can't get ANYTHING else I'll be happy with this receiver. :D

glad to hear it :) FTA is addicting :D

I just aimed my big dish at AMC7 and yes NASA is amazing :)

There are 3 feeds that normally have other things but with the shuttle its the same feed

I would run the Power Pass Port to the Toshiba. The Toshiba should still provide power to the lnb when it is off. It may however Default to V or H when it's off, so at times you may want to keep it on?

The Toshiba does need to be on to provide power to the lnb, just as well I suppose since I'll be switching polarities and moving the dish with it anyway. I've had this setup operational for less than 12 hours and I'm already scheming on adding Ku capability!!!! :eek::D

I wonder what happens if you switch the ports on the splitter and have the Visionsat have the power side. With the older LNB's that analog boxes control once you find a channel and you shut off the analog box, the skew is still at the right spot so the Visionsat should be able to power the LNB

If you do try it, make sure to power the Visionsat off with switch on back to not do damage :)

rv1pop, I now understand your post and that's what I had wrong, I am a super-dork! I now have color and audio and (so far) my ignorance has not caused anything to explode!

Thank you all a ton for your help, I'm going to go play some more. :)

My internet was gone for about 24 hours so I just got on and saw you got it fixed! Glad I could help. ---Been there, done that, got the red face, --- I had company and was trying to show off!
HAVE FUN! (Yeah, that is a shout!)
POP

you know adding ku is a plus to any system.
i have ku on my 7 1/2 fter and will be putting my 10 ft dish into service later this spring
my 7 1/2 fter is moved with a v-box III so the DVB receiver can move it without the older analog receiver and i plan on doing the same with my 10 fter ( it will be ku also) but i still have my stand alone ku dish because at certain times and satellites it gets better reception. with as many receivers going on sale and even being dumped into the ebay market it might be just as easy to rig up a seperate ku system to go with the c-band one. my computer room has 2 tv's and planning on a third one for watching and others for blind scanning :)
enjoy your dish and be warned this is a very adictive hobby :)

My internet was gone for about 24 hours so I just got on and saw you got it fixed! Glad I could help. ---Been there, done that, got the red face, --- I had company and was trying to show off!
HAVE FUN! (Yeah, that is a shout!)
POP

No company but I had a most appreciative audience of wife, daughter and miniature dachshund that were pretty impressed when I got audio and color, thanks again! :)

you know adding ku is a plus to any system.
i have ku on my 7 1/2 fter and will be putting my 10 ft dish into service later this spring
my 7 1/2 fter is moved with a v-box III so the DVB receiver can move it without the older analog receiver and i plan on doing the same with my 10 fter ( it will be ku also) but i still have my stand alone ku dish because at certain times and satellites it gets better reception. with as many receivers going on sale and even being dumped into the ebay market it might be just as easy to rig up a seperate ku system to go with the c-band one. my computer room has 2 tv's and planning on a third one for watching and others for blind scanning :)
enjoy your dish and be warned this is a very adictive hobby :)

Ku is definitely in my future I just haven't decided the best way to go about it yet. The more I learn, the less I seem to know! :D

I wonder what happens if you switch the ports on the splitter and have the Visionsat have the power side. With the older LNB's that analog boxes control once you find a channel and you shut off the analog box, the skew is still at the right spot so the Visionsat should be able to power the LNB

If you do try it, make sure to power the Visionsat off with switch on back to not do damage :)

I haven't tried the port switcheroo yet, in fact I think I was incorrect in thinking that I needed the old analog rig to power the LNB, I'll verify that tonight.

When scanning a satellite do I need to scan twice, once with the corotor set for horiz...and then again for vert? :confused: I'm getting channels on everything I scan but just wondered if I was getting only one polarity? Also it seems like I get 2-3 of the same channel in the channel list after a scan, I have been deleting all the "copies" and the scrambled channels. Hoping to figure out how to control my tv set with the Visionsat remote but there's really no info on that (besides remote codes) in the owners manual, and the Vsat remote I got is different than the one pictured. I'm heading back to your review thread for a reread, some of that stuff is actually starting to make sense! :)

When scanning a satellite do I need to scan twice, once with the corotor set for horiz...and then again for vert? :confused: I'm getting channels on everything I scan but just wondered if I was getting only one polarity?
yes. SInce the old LNB only sees one polarity at a time, you need to scan just the H side then switch to V and rescan

Ku is definitely in my future I just haven't decided the best way to go about it yet. The more I learn, the less I seem to know!

well there are lots of options , if you plan on in the future to add a another receiver then a dual lnbf for c-band would be great :)

i know what you mean by saying the more i learn the less i know :) it seems the more dishes i add and the more scanning i do the less tv i watch lol lol :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)