C Band LNB Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
It is getting close with my old 20d toshiba C band LNB and I am thinking of replacing it when I do my tuneup. (4DTV 922 Receiver w/ 8 ft perforated Wineguard dish/buttonhook)

The Norstat is pretty expensive (and very long) ...Is it worth the money or are some of the other 15d-17d cheqper ones decent enough? Eagle Aspen or Precision can be gotten from ebay but has 60db gain instead of 65.

TIA
Jeff

Thanks TDTI1

Thank You...I will research both ...they may be too long (length) though! Currently I have a compact model (had to remove the old elbow to fit it all inside the feedhorn casing)
I appreciate your comments!
Jeff

I got a cheap LNB for Ku band, through my ignorance at the time, and spent 6 months unsuccessfully trying to make the system work, but I am a never quit individual. A new Norsat and it worked perfectly, immediately. That's why I recommend staying away from the cheap stuff. Go to the Norsat web site and look at the specs so you know what the numbers in the model number mean. That way you can really understand what you may be getting. I bought a 4206A for Ku band. One of the digits is the frequency stability and I think good stability is important.

Thanks Determined

yep, you fellas convenced me! My old Toshiba 20d has served me well for over 10 yrs with the 4dtv....just beginning to drift a hair now!!

I forgot which KU LNB I installed (been quite a while) but it also works very well....I have a long cover on now and will go out to measure again (after the snow melts!) I will go after the Norstat most likely!

Thanks again
Jeff

I may go norsat in the future, but went with eagle aspens for both C and Ku. Frankly, they work great for me...although I may be missing out on some things I'm unaware of.

JerryK said:
I may go norsat in the future, but went with eagle aspens for both C and Ku. Frankly, they work great for me...although I may be missing out on some things I'm unaware of.
I have used them for MANY years too on a LOT of C& Ku BAND systems and I have SAVED a LOT of $$$$$$ and still watched problem free TV. When they go bad I replace them. Like any electronic device, every once in a while SOMONE MIGHT get a BAD LNB.

Hmmmm

Now you folks have me thinking Eagle Aspen to check out...heck for the price, it is a cheap tryout! I have seen a couple of sites though where they say "not recommended for 4DTV" though....that did not intrigue me!
Thanks again
Jeff

I think on the smaller dishes it's even more important to get a 'better' LNB. with a 10'-12' dish an older / lesser LNB may be fine.

An 8' dish is still smaller than is reccomended so I'd be inclined to spring for some better low noise LNBs.

This is why I went for the Norsats on my little 5' dish. While the LNBs were stupidly expensive, I'm able to get the 4DTV guide with my little dish. I'm very happy with them.

If you are price shopping LNBs, be sure to check SatENG.com. I got mine there and they had the best pricing on Norsats I could find.

As I mentioned in another thread above, I went into the feedhorn today and found a Norstat 8000 SHORT LNB (100 rated stability) much to my surprise. I have not been in there in about 10 yrs and am just now remembering the replacement of the VERY old Toshiba many years ago.. I was afraid to look at what I had imagined to be massive corrosion...but not a trace...except for the nests...clean as a whistle! Will wonders never cease

On another note...Yes, my HDD200 does have the Starz HD bug...being swapped out next week by a great vendor. CA Sound- Cameron on Ebay sells them refurbed and upgraded to gui at a great price! (under $300)

After clearing out 4 Extra large Wasp nests and changing out the servo motor (Wasp nests were uninhabited), all is beautiful again with my setup! Now to make time for the Viewsat Extreme FTA which arrived a few days ago!

Last edited:
I'll add another vote for eagle aspens. I use them for both c and ku and they have worked great for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)