C-Band Newbie.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
hello,

i have been installing and aiming ku-band dishes for many years, including many motorized systems, this is pretty much childs play for me now and i have a good understanding of "the arc".....

now im thinking of venturing into the c-band game.....

the dish im thinking about purchasing is a 6 foot fortec star solid dish.....is this a good start?.....im moving into a new home and dont want the neighbours mad at me right away.....lol.....so i dont really want to go bigger than 6 feet if i dont have to.....

i want it motorized so what would be a good motor for this dish?.....or is it even compatible with a motor i dont know?

do dishes like this come with a mounting pole or is that something i need to just get on my own???

How are your horizons? Obstructions?
You have to buy or otherwise supply your own pipe.

If you have visibility to both horizons you might want to try to scrounge up a Horizon To Horizon mount

Generally, the bigger you get, the more you need to fix the mast in concrete. The difference between little dish setting and big dish is this - With little dish and USALS motor, you set the angles according to tables, you send the dish to a certain satellite via the receiver and then you twirl the dish on the mast until you get the signal. Usually that puts you close.

With big dish, you don't know how many counts there are per degree until you experiment a little . So you go off the due south satellite and you adjust as you go out from center. In order to have that hit the arc you need a polar mount with declination. Probably the smallest actuator you can find is right for you.

I've got a nice set up from Sadoun in Columbus Ohio...one of our sponsors here. 6 foot Fortec dish or similar...maybe an 8 foot if you want. Bigger is better. I've got the pole and a Powertech 24" acuator, and the Gbox that they sell. I've had it since last fall and love it. Scanning the sky from 72W to 135W. Blind:)

can you have a bigger dish ?
if so dig up a 10' for free or near it in your area.
put a ad on Craigslist if needed or look on freecycle have got 6 dishes this way.
if you get a 6 you will wish for a 8 and then a 10 so cut to the chase if you can.
now looking for a 12' or larger one LOL
good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts