C-band on 90cm dish, is it worth it? (Story with Pics)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
After reading many of the threads on large and small Buds’ I was interested. Everyone made the C-band sound so intriguing. Well I have a Fortec Star Dynamic receiver it can receive C-band. I have a motorized 90cm dish that I use for the Ku band, I get an arc from 15W to 125W, all I would have to do is get one of those C/KU-band LNBs and be on both bands in no time.
Man, how hard could it be?
Before I answer that question let me outline my goals. I would be happy getting the two transponders and their TV channels from AMC 6 at 72º W it is only two degrees east of my most south satellite. Any other C-band satellite that I could pull a signal off of would be a plus. So I ordered a DMX741U C/KU LNB and WS-KU2C Kit - Conical Scalar Ring & 65mm C Band LNBF Holder from WSI International.

Of course! It came with no instructions, but, hey I’m an FTA guy, (well only for the last two months), I subscribe to Satelliteguys.US I am no longer a newbie. I moved the tripod dish from the garage and locked in a religious station that was banging in with a 65 to 70 SQ, on AMC 6 KU band with my old Chaparral KU LNB. I took off the Chaparral and had no trouble mounting the new holder and LNB. Who needs instructions?

I spent the next four hours adjusting the DMX741U trying to get the religious station with the new LNB, no luck. Shut everything down and went to WSI’s website, to download the instruction. Next day moved the dish out of the garage, put the old LNB back on got the religious station locked in again, off with old on with the new. After reading the instructions I realized I needed to make some receiver adjustment. After a couple of hours I finally had the new LNB locked on the religious station with a SQ of 50 to 55. Not good, not bad got all of the KU stations on AMC 6 OK with the new LNB. Built a new AMC 6 C-band profile in the receiver and spent the next 4 hours trying to get a signal from 4040 transponder.

I finally managed to knock out the KU adjustments and get a very weak C-band signal (26 to 29 SQ) from the 4040 transponder. A blind scan turned up another transponder with a weak signal. I had signal but no stations, I managed to do a TP scan that locked in the channels but the SQ was so weak I could not get a picture. It looked like I squeezed the most signal I could out of the 90cm dish and I could not get a picture. Since the sun was still out I decided to put the dish back into garage and try it when the sun went down.

Later, in the cool of the evening, I took the dish out and checked the 4040 transponder the signal was the same but now I was able to view the stations. I figured that the earlier sun noise was just enough to hold back the picture from being viewed. (Or the C-band Gods did not want to make it easy for me)

I built a C-band profile in the receiver for Galaxy 16, at 99º W, motored over there and did a blind scan. Lo and behold I managed to received 6 C-band transponders signals, one at a fairly high SQ (50), this locked in three TV stations. When I went to see what was on the TV station I lost all C-band signals, even the ones on AMC 6. I kicked the tripod in the leg, and put it back in the garage. Man, how hard could it be?

I will start all over again tomorrow and see if I can get back the C-band signals and get the LNB adjusted to receive C and KU signals at the same setting. Any suggestions or hints will be greatly appreciated. I still don’t have an answer for: C-band on 90cm dish is it worth it?

Attachments

• 2009_0522_signals40008.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40008.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 853
  • 2009_0522_signals40009.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40009.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 2009_0522_signals40010.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40010.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 1,551
  • 2009_0522_signals40011.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40011.JPG
    481 KB · Views: 910
Great stuff Mikelib!. There is always problems with small dishes and adjacent satellite interference and just not being able to snag enough signal but it is a blast to fool around with and see what you can get.
As to your question of whether its worth playing around with or not, it always is for me, I just like to see what I can do with the equipment, it depends if you are enjoying playing with it or you are just interested in getting it set up quick and sitting down and enjoying watching it.
You will always do better with a larger dish on c-band. The small dish is at the edge of receiving a signal, you lose it if the wind picks up a bit and wiggles the dish, not fun if you want to watch a show. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I"ve never played with a 90cm on C band and am curious just what you can get with it.

Great stuff Mikelib!. There is always problems with small dishes and adjacent satellite interference and just not being able to snag enough signal but it is a blast to fool around with and see what you can get.
As to your question of whether its worth playing around with or not, it always is for me, I just like to see what I can do with the equipment, it depends if you are enjoying playing with it or you are just interested in getting it set up quick and sitting down and enjoying watching it.
You will always do better with a larger dish on c-band. The small dish is at the edge of receiving a signal, you lose it if the wind picks up a bit and wiggles the dish, not fun if you want to watch a show. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I"ve never played with a 90cm on C band and am curious just what you can get with it.

So far I went back and tried again to lock in the C and KU band on the LNB. I must be doing some thing wrong as I can get each band separately, when I hook up the jumper wire I lose the KU Band. I checked and there is no voltage coming out of the jumper (cable is good) to power the KU side of the LNB. I tried different switching arrangements and was no successful. The LNB is not sensitive at all particularly on the KU side; I never experienced the C-band so I can’t judge the sensitivity. I might buy another brand of C/KU LNB.

yes please do. Here is my test on the 4 footer with the conical ring

Iceberg, I read the post awhile ago man, you’re my inspiration, I decide to try out the 90cm and see if I can be on the Cee-Band like the big guys.

Actually I am in an adult community and I can’t (legally) have a large dish. Although I am tempted to buy a 1.2m dish or hopefully come across one of the ones off of a gas station, but the other problem is I’m married and if. the bride see’s another dish in the garage she will flip.

Ice would you recommend the geo sat c/ku lnb or it is the same one as I have only with a different label. I need about 5 more SQs’ to make the project successfull. To be honest I am disappointed in the 90cm dish it is on flimsy side and it was damaged during shipping. But I realize that there is only so much reflector capture area and so much signal that can be focused toward the LNB. I am trying to make up for the lack of dish size and signal with a more sensitive LNB. I would appreciate any advice.
mikelib

I have the C/K1 and just got a 741 the other day. Haven't tried the 741 on the minibud but the C/K1 worked really well. The LNB is a shade small for the holder so I used 2 times around the throat of the LNB with duct tape

I have the C/K1 and just got a 741 the other day. Haven't tried the 741 on the minibud but the C/K1 worked really well. The LNB is a shade small for the holder so I used 2 times around the throat of the LNB with duct tape

I figured out how to get the C and KU LNB to work together. I needed a DiSEqC 1.0 setting of LNB 2 for the KU side and no setting for the C side. I still need to adjust the LNB to have both C/Ku working together, if possible. I will be working on that after the holiday. So far for the 90cm C-Band I need to squeeze out another 5 to 10 SQ out of the test set up.

I have a problem with The Word TV on Galaxy 17 at 91W on transponder 4014, when I blind scan, 89W and 95W it shows up. It is the strongest C-band signal that I can receive. Does that mean that I don’t have the conical ring adjusted correctly?

I am really interested in your comparison testing of the C/K1 and the 741 keep me in the loop. I take it that the C/K1 and 741LNB are from different manufactures, Please comment, I wouldn’t want to purchase the LNB and find out it’s a clone of the one I have.

I just discover FTA about 3 months ago and I really got into it. I will post more as I go along and I expect to answer the topic question and post it when I through testing.

I need to do more work on the 90cm C/Ku 90cm dish setup, back to the drawing board.

yes the C/K1 and the 741 are by different manufacturers

the 741 I would say is a brother to the DMSI 621

Status
Please reply by conversation.