c-band on small dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
I have a 36" fixed geosat ku band dish. I also use a 1.2 meter motorized ku-band dish. The set-up consists of a 4 port switch for switching between dishes and open-box s9 receiver.
What I would like to know is if I was to attempt to receive c-band reception from sats ses2 "87 west" and ses3 "103 west", what extra equipment other than a c-band lnbf or combo ku lnbf would I need?

I suggest using the 1.2m dish for this, don't bother with the 39inch one. You'll need a bracket and clamp of some sort, and another coax jumper over to your switch. You can purchase something, or cobble it up from hardware store EMT hangers and grounding clamps. You'll also need a Conical scalar ring for the c-band lnbf http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSC-Conical...ounting_Gear&hash=item1e81296453#ht_25wt_1007

Remember, sats from the side come in on the opposite side of center from where you are aiming.

For instance, if you are aimed at 99w for your CENTER lnb, and you were standing behind your dish looking at it, you'd put the new lnb on the right side for sats to the EAST. Left side would be sats to the WEST. The sidecar lnbs also need to be above or below the centerline depending on which way the arc falls from your center aimed sat. You might be able to go as far as say 15 degrees either way, it just depends. What I highly suggest, is that the c-band lnbf be put at the center focus, and the ku lnbf be the sidecar. That way you use your smaller dish at maximum efficiency for c-band (since you are using such a small dish)

Last edited:
A conical scalar is a must with a small offset. My 1 meter couldn't pick up much on c band without one. 87W and 103W are both going to be tough. You may want to pick an easier sat like 99w to tune the lnb/scalar combo in before tackling the tougher ones. Adjusting both the lnb location and scalar location will affect signal strength.

Last edited:
There have been numerous (long) threads on the subject.
What's posted above is the tip of the iceberg.
I'd suggest you take a few days and research.
Then perhaps you'll take a few weeks and find an 8 or 10 foot BUD. :up

You can look up my post about using a 1 meter dish for c band I have one setup right now for 99w I get about 20 to 30 channels off of that one.

Dan rose

I did not know that sats from the side come in on the opposite side of center. Good to know. But you will have to correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a combination ku c lnbf is not what you are suggesting. It sounds more that you are saying based on your comment "the c band lnbf at center focus" and separate ku lnbf at side-car, that you would not use a combination? If this is the case "in laymen terms" could you help a simpleton like myself understand the reasons why. Pro vs Con if need be.

Here is one I did several years ago but I would not recommend it - - - this is really a toy and has very limited usefulness. I did another on a 4 foot dish that got much better signal. I now have a 10 foot Channel Master fixed on 58W.

All that being said if you space is very limited - - - the very smallest I would even attempt would be a 1.2 with a conical scalar fixed on one satellite.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/205189-Experimenting-with-MiniBUD-90cm?highlight=minibud

I think everyone should experience the pain and suffering and frustration of trying to get C band on a small dish! It is what convinced me to go BIG!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Where I live I can’t get most of the regular network channels ota, but do get them on a 1 meter channel master as well as several other channels. It comes in handy during football season as I can watch one game on it while using my 6ft to find the next game I want to see.

I did not know that sats from the side come in on the opposite side of center. Good to know. But you will have to correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a combination ku c lnbf is not what you are suggesting. It sounds more that you are saying based on your comment "the c band lnbf at center focus" and separate ku lnbf at side-car, that you would not use a combination? If this is the case "in laymen terms" could you help a simpleton like myself understand the reasons why. Pro vs Con if need be.

The combination LNBFs really don't seem to work well, if at all, for Ku on small dishes. I think the Ku section isn't close enough to the focal point. (On a large dish, you probably have enough signal to ignore the loss.)

People have come up with some fixes involving moving the Ku section half a wavelength back and/or replacing the generic Ku section with a very-high-gain one. I don't remember how well they compare to just putting a Ku LNBF off to the side. (This really doesn't lose you much signal at all if you take the time to align it as well as possible!)

I think everyone should experience the pain and suffering and frustration of trying to get C band on a small dish! It is what convinced me to go BIG!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Absolutely so very true!:amen:

Thank you all for your feedback. But I have more questions. I am and was under the impression all ready that c-band should be for big dishes. However, I would like to get a few years out of my current investment. Not to keen on shelling out big bucks with what looks like a coming collapsed economy and all.
My first question based on the comment of the 5.9 uni-mesh "cute dish", I googled and came up empty. Any links?
Second, If I was to choose my limited c-band set-up based on suggestions of a fixed 1 meter in size dish for c-band with a standard c-band lnbf, or using my current 1.2 meter dish with 2 separate lnbf or modified c/ku combo, which would be more reliable long term in value of reception and longevity of equipment? I would like to receive sat 103 west more than anything as far as c-band goes. Is this impossible for a 4 foot dish?

Last edited:
My best advice? 6 foot MINIMUM for c-band, and 1.2m for KU. Don't forget that the smaller the dish, the wider the field of reception. That means you are fighting competing signals from adjacent sats to the one you are aimed at.

If you just can't do a 6 footer, use the 1.2m with a dedicated c-band only lnbf and conical scalar at the main focal point. That will allow you to get some stronger c-band on a few sats, depending on your location. You'll get enough of a taste that you'll wonder why you bothered with such a small dish that's incapable of getting the channels you REALLY want to watch. There's no way anybody can say for SURE 100% what sats and channels will be receivable for YOU. Since you already have a 1.2m dish, all you need is the c-band lnb for around $22, and the conical scalar for around $15. That's pretty cheap right there.

You just need to take the next step and actually do it and see what happens. You are spending too much time asking questions, and not enough time just doing it. Take a couple hours and get busy doing it!

Not to keen on shelling out big bucks with what looks like a coming collapsed economy and all.
My first question based on the comment of the 5.9 uni-mesh "cute dish", I googled and came up empty. Any links?
We have a thread to connect you with a used BUD at a bargain price.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304781-more-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal
I recommend spending about $100 on a nice 8-10' dish & motor.
We have plenty members who spent that or less.
Second, If I was to choose my limited c-band set-up based on suggestions of a fixed 1 meter in size dish for c-band with a standard c-band lnbf, or using my current 1.2 meter dish with 2 separate lnbf or modified c/ku combo, which would be more reliable long term in value of reception and longevity of equipment?
Never ask a 1m dish to work on C band when you have a 1.2m ;)
Use the best C band-only lnbf you can find, at the focus.
(There is a PLL model coming soon from Titanium; I would wait)
A 1m dish should be excellent on Ku.
PS: a number of members who used to be excited by their 6' dishes have moved up to 8' and 10' BUDs.
Read between the lines. :)

If you live in an apartment or HOA that hates satellite dishes 1 meter will get you started until you own your own house. But always get the 8' to 10' they are the best ones to get for C band.

Dan Rose

Do you know how tiny a 6' BUD really is ? Here's the Unimesh -- 5' 9" of nosy neighbor stealth glory. They'll pass out cigars when you put this dish up, think its a new baby you've got.

unimesh5.jpg

Reactions: mr.crane
Fighting competing signals from adjacent sats makes sense. That must be why I was having so much trouble. That adds up. hmmm. If I was to do a larger dish, can I do a multiple c- band lnbf's, like a ku? I want to be able to use multiple receivers so I was thinking fixed dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts