C Band Setup in California

Status
Please reply by conversation.

QuantumKat

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hi, I've recently gotten engaged to a Brazilian woman and I want to be able to let her watch her brazilian tv channels here in california.

From what I've read, I'll need a CBand dish of at least 8 feet in order to pull in the signal from 70W Brasilsat 1. Seeing as that's the case, I'm looking into buying the Fortec 240cm dish C-Band with an invacom quad lnb (k-band) and BSC621 ku/C band LNBF. For my receiver I'll be using a Viewsat Xtreme.

I'm wondering if this setup is what I need or if I've left some details out? I'm aware I'll need a 4x1 Disecq (sp?) switch as well and a mount for the large dish. TheSatelliteShop.net sells the Fortec 240cm with Polar Mount for 449, that seems a bit pricey, but if that's the best deal so be it. Do I really need the mount or not? We live in an apartment, so it might be weird to setup a large dish in such a situation. Although, we're moving soon and we may live in a house, then we'd be able to use the backyard as we see fit.

In any case, will I be able to access satellites 70W, 101W, 110W, and 119W using the 240cm Fortec Dish and the 4x1 Disceq? Also, how much would installation of the C Band dish cost me do you think?

Thanks!

Hold on what's the point of getting a 8ft. BUD if people still can't acess C Band satellites? o_O

You can still access C-band satellites, just not Brazilsat1 @ 70.0w. It has it's beams directed at South America, as shown in the diagram provided by photoman in the above post. You could always move to South America? HeHe. But, other than that I'm not aware of the signals going to another satellite, unless maybe Directv or DishNet provide those signals with a subscription on one of there satellites.
Another thing, it would take some ingenuiety to mount both the Invacom quad lnbf and the BSC621 C/ku lnbf to the same dish. It would be better to get a Corotor II feedhorn with a separate C-band lnb and ku-band lnb.
You would also need other items, like an actuator to move the dish. Something to control the actuator, like an analog receiver or a VBOX II controller. If you get the Corotor II feedhorn, you'll need something to control the polarotor (servo motor) for changing the polarity when you change channels, like an analog receiver. The Viewsat Extreme won't do it. It would probably be better to set up a C-band (with or withiout ku) system 1st, and then add the Viewsat later. You could also get a Pansat or Manhattan receiver, as those 2 will control a polarotor. There's so many different things you could do, it would almost take a book to write it all down. Good Luck on your decision.

Al

You can still access C-band satellites, just not Brazilsat1 @ 70.0w. It has it's beams directed at South America, as shown in the diagram provided by photoman in the above post. You could always move to South America? HeHe. But, other than that I'm not aware of the signals going to another satellite, unless maybe Directv or DishNet provide those signals with a subscription on one of there satellites.
Another thing, it would take some ingenuiety to mount both the Invacom quad lnbf and the BSC621 C/ku lnbf to the same dish. It would be better to get a Corotor II feedhorn with a separate C-band lnb and ku-band lnb.
You would also need other items, like an actuator to move the dish. Something to control the actuator, like an analog receiver or a VBOX II controller. If you get the Corotor II feedhorn, you'll need something to control the polarotor (servo motor) for changing the polarity when you change channels, like an analog receiver. The Viewsat Extreme won't do it. It would probably be better to set up a C-band (with or withiout ku) system 1st, and then add the Viewsat later. You could also get a Pansat or Manhattan receiver, as those 2 will control a polarotor. There's so many different things you could do, it would almost take a book to write it all down. Good Luck on your decision.

Al

Welp one dream is dead, but another lives. Thanks for all your help. I think I'll just go the standard 33'' KU dish route then, with quad lnb pointed at 101, 110, 119 and something else perhaps...It'd be nice if I could point an lnb at 61.5, that satellite has Globo which is a brazilian station. Might I need 2 dishes to point one at 61.5 with the others being over 100W?

let me know, thanks

quick addendum: if i used a motorized dish could i then use the same dish to get 61.5/101w/110w/119w?

Last edited:
Those satellites you want are subscription satellites. You should contact Directv or DishNet for information on the best way to get there programming. The Viewsat will not get them, unless it's been modified and that kind of talk is not allowed here.

Al

Those satellites you want are subscription satellites. You should contact Directv or DishNet for information on the best way to get there programming. The Viewsat will not get them, unless it's been modified and that kind of talk is not allowed here.

Al

Ah I'm new to this, I already have Comcast, I don't need all that. I just want Brazilian channels. Are ANY of the Brasilsat's accessible, I see 4 on Lyngsat. Is there any way to see those?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)