C-band setup with Coolsat 5000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
dfergie said:
I have the Mkkit going( not all sats scanned in yet). I am using the Coolsat5000 with it and a C-band 8'dish and can hook it to a 10' C-band dish if needed... just got everything going in the house with it. Saw this post that shows there are a few left, might get one of those but going to get my Dvbworld box going again first... again Thanks SatelliteAV :)

Ok... I obviously haven't even read the manual for my Coolsat 5000 yet (no reason to I guess, since still waiting to put up the dish until things calm down with work), but... I am reading you as saying that you have it connected to both the Ku band dish from the Mkkit, plus a C band BUD?

I can't wait to get into this, but know it is going to be a huge time sink! :D

dfergie said:
Yeah, watching FTA right now thru the 8' BUD on C-Band digital... look around for a free BUD , you won't be disappointed :D

Yeah, I am going to start looking at the local 'Nickel want ads." (Unless I win one in the contest!)

Although I am guessing I would need to run electricity outside to power it. Correct?

I searched the local paper and there was an ad for a free 'large' dish; left a message. We'll see what comes out of it!

rockymtnhigh said:
Yeah, I am going to start looking at the local 'Nickel want ads." (Unless I win one in the contest!)

Although I am guessing I would need to run electricity outside to power it. Correct?
kinda, your Coolsat will power the Lnb, but you will need an analog receiver to change polaritys and move, check out the C-Band FAQ's or ask us... usually the analog receivers are easy to come by and cheap :)

rockymtnhigh said:
I searched the local paper and there was an ad for a free 'large' dish; left a message. We'll see what comes out of it!

Well, I am getting the dish; its an 8 ft one. all I have to do is take it down from and remove.it. The guy is also giving me the receiver he had; but I have a Coolsat 5000 in the wings...

I just gotta get out the tool box and take his dish apart, and get a friend with a truck to help me get it home -- or take the dish apart fully, but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks for the idea dfergie! This turned out to be much easier than I ever expected. The wife can't complain, since I am NOT buying the dish!! :D

dfergie said:
Your Welcome :) lots of stuff up there... you might even want to try a sub to see the PQ difference...

I probably will do that, but I have to get it setup first! :D

Got the BUD

I spent two hours this afternoon taking apart the BUD; its a 8 Foot Dish; Black, the actual dish is metal with mesh; I made the mistake of not bringing my digital camera with me to take a bunch of pictures before I took it apart for a point of reference when putting it back together.

I took it apart in 2 panel sections, with the box behind panels in one piece connected to the big phallic looking lnb (not sure if its called that in C-Band BUD terminology); and the base for the post with arms to connect to the dish in back, plus the motor in a third piece.

Once we took the motor arm off the dish and could re-angle the dish closer to the ground, the work was much easier. Thank god for the ratchet set.

So.... now it is in my back yard in pieces; I need to go buy a post. 4" diameter; the dish was 4 foot above ground at the other house. I assume I want to put the post in at least 18" - 24" underground, so a 6 foot post? And then just use some quickcrete for it?

The gentleman who gave me this also gave me his receiver. It is a Uniden Supra. Integrated Receiver/Descrambler. But I also have the Coolsat 5000. Not sure what one I should use. But... it will be close to Thanksgiving before I get this thing all together. I am going to get the post this week though, and dig the hole before the ground freezes!

Thanks again Don for the idea of looking for a free dish.

My wife still hasn't seen the size of the actual dish. You all might hear a primal scream all over America when she does. :D :D

You will need the Uniden Supra to control the polarotor and actuator to move the dish. I would go at least 3' deep with the pole. It wouldn't hurt to go deeper.

Al

You will need the Uniden Supra to control the polarotor and actuator to move the dish. I would go at least 3' deep with the pole. It wouldn't hurt to go deeper.

Al

The ground here is hard clay; hard as a rock, but I think I can get down 3.' I am going to buy a pole, and get that done in the next day or two; each week we get closer to the ground freezing.

Thanks guys for the advice. I will be reading all of the FAQs and probably posting questions as I move along.

Last edited:
Ok, I have been reading as much of the FAQs as I can, so not to ask questions that are really stupid... that said, I probably have not succeeded...

Couple questions:

1) The Supra has inputs for C-Band and Ku Band. Am I correct that the BUD can recieve both? So that I do not need to get a smaller Dish just for Ku? It looks like that from what I am reading, but I am not sure.

2) I need to use the Supra to power the actuator and polarotor (still not sure exactly what these are in a definitive sense, but I get that its the motor which causes the Dish to move to pick up a different bird). From the manual of the Supra, it appears that I have to have basically four connected pieces of Coax coming out of the dish (which is what there was) which goes to the Sat input and the four speaker-like connections on the back of the Supra, that are for the actuator and polarotor.

What is less unclear is if I can use the Coolsat 5000 I have with this Dish? I know the Coolsat has more modern features, like Digital Optical Out; and from Iceberg's review, has a lot of very nice features.

Is the Coolsat just for a smaller (say 31" Dish) or can I use the coolsat in conjunction with the Supra? This ties back to my first quesiton about C-Band and Ku-Band

3) Tomorrow I am going to take some pictures of the components of this dish; to get a sense from you gurus if this is a 1) really old Dish; and 2) if I should consider upgrading the LNB (if that is even possible).

Thanks guys. Sorry if I am being a pain; just trying to figure this all out. Its a lot more complex than my little old Dish 1000 and 622. :D

1. Yes BUD gets both Analog (Coolsat receives Digital)
2. Actuator moves the dish, Polorotor switches from H to V, the satellites have frequencys C-band analog 24 and Ku- Analog 32 half of which are Horizontal and half vertical.
2a. Coolsat will work with the BUD on the digital frequencys, you will need to get a splitter to split the frequencys so both can receive.
Analog Satellites from Mike Kohls site, MPEG2 Satellites C-band , Ku-Band from Mike Kohls Site (Global Communications)

Ok, I have been reading as much of the FAQs as I can, so not to ask questions that are really stupid... that said, I probably have not succeeded...

Couple questions:

1) The Supra has inputs for C-Band and Ku Band. Am I correct that the BUD can recieve both? So that I do not need to get a smaller Dish just for Ku? It looks like that from what I am reading, but I am not sure.
If the BUD has a feedhorn with both C-band and ku-band lnb's, you can receive both. A lot of the BUD's out there, only have a C-band lnb on them. If that's your case, you will need to get a different feedhorn, like the Corotor II or the one ADL makes. The Uniden Supra will get both. The role of thumb theory, or rather the rule of pencil theory, is if a #2 lead pencil will go through the holes in the mesh, you may have problems with ku signals. However, if the #2 pencil doesn't go through the mesh, you should be OK.

2) I need to use the Supra to power the actuator and polarotor (still not sure exactly what these are in a definitive sense, but I get that its the motor which causes the Dish to move to pick up a different bird). From the manual of the Supra, it appears that I have to have basically four connected pieces of Coax coming out of the dish (which is what there was) which goes to the Sat input and the four speaker-like connections on the back of the Supra, that are for the actuator and polarotor.
You need to use the Supra to power the actuator, because the Coolsat won't do it. You can get a VBOX II and it will power the actuator with the Coolsat by decoding Diseqc commands from the Coolsat to work with the actuator.
The Polarotor is the servo motor on the feedhorn that changes the polarity when you change channels with the receiver. The Coolsat will not control this device in any manner or form. So, you will need the Uniden Supra to do this or you will need to get lnb's with dual polarity to replace your lnb's or get lnbf's to replace the entire feedhorn. The difference in the 3, is the lnb's do not switch polarity and are either single polarity (which is usually used with a servo motor - polarotor), or lnb's are dual polarity (so you have both polarity's), or you have an lnbf which is a dual polarity lnb which has the feedhorn made as a part of it and they use 13/18 volt switching to change polarity.
I'm not familier with the Uniden, so my guess with the wiring would be, you have 2 coax inputs (one for C and one for ku), you have another to power the actuator, it has 5 wires, red & black for powering east/west, blue for pulse, and brown & naked/skinned for ground (it usually has the larger red & black wires, but not always), and the last is for the wiring for the polarotor (3 wires, red-black-white).

What is less unclear is if I can use the Coolsat 5000 I have with this Dish? I know the Coolsat has more modern features, like Digital Optical Out; and from Iceberg's review, has a lot of very nice features.

Is the Coolsat just for a smaller (say 31" Dish) or can I use the coolsat in conjunction with the Supra? This ties back to my first quesiton about C-Band and Ku-Band
You can use your Coolsat with your Uniden Supra. This is how I do it, and I feel it is best to slave the Coolsat, by splitting the signals from the lnb's, like this:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm
You can also use a smaller dish, I do, but I use a 4x1 diseqc switch (replacing the 2x1 diseqc in the diagram from DMSI) and get the most out of my equipment. With the diseqc switch I have port-1 C-band, port-2 ku (BUD), port-3 ku from a 1.2m dish, port-4 Circular from a 1.2m dish [the 1.2m has the Invacom QPH031 lnbf, which does both Linear (ku) and Circular (DBS)].

3) Tomorrow I am going to take some pictures of the components of this dish; to get a sense from you gurus if this is a 1) really old Dish; and 2) if I should consider upgrading the LNB (if that is even possible).

Thanks guys. Sorry if I am being a pain; just trying to figure this all out. Its a lot more complex than my little old Dish 1000 and 622. :D
Looking forward to your photo's and in most cases the older lnb's are better than the newer ones (unless you put out some big $'s). If it's old enough, you may have lna's, if that's the case (which ain't likely), you definately want to upgrade. In any case, upgrading can be a good thing.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)