C-band signal lock quandry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mct1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hi guys,

I just scored an 8' BUD off Craigslist for free and got it hooked up OK. When scanning for the first time, I was only able to lock on single transponders for only
2 different satellites (Galaxy 14 @125W and AMC11 @ 131W). They were both H and V transponders and signal strength was good at ~75-80%, but quality was lower at~ 65%. I've done a lot of FTA Ku scanning before and usually the quality is always higher than the signal strength. Once I lock a Ku signal, I can usually tweak and fine tune until I find everything I want on that satellite. No matter what I do with this BUD, all I get are these solo transponders on these 2 different sats. I manually enter all settings that I think will help, and still nothing.

Hopefully somebody has some tips for this newbie as it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for any help,

mct1

Sounds like you don't have the tracking down yet, and possibly the lnb/polarotor needs to be set, provided you're using one. Once you're tracking the arc properly you should get fairly high signals from an 8 footer. Far as the meter reading, if you're signal reading is reasonably high/stable, quality reading may be higher or lower. I get signals like that on my 10', depends on which fta box I'm using at the time, the meters vary greatly from one brand to another.

Thanks, turbosat
I'll try re-tracking the arc and getting my string of pearls all lined up. I just didn't understand how you can get a very strong signal on one transponder and not get a blip from any of the other transponders on the same sat. Guess logic doesn't always work.

Getting the BUD to track the arc is slightly different than using an SG2100 motor on a Ku dish.
I suggest you digest the four pages here on Geo-Orbit for some guidance.

Also, you didn't specify how you were moving the motor, nor how you were moving the polarotor.
To be able to help, a person would need to know a lot more about your setup.
A picture or two would probably drum up a bit more interest, too. - :rolleyes:

Thanks, Anole.

After going back through the setup, it seems one of the connections needed to be reset as did the lnb. It was locked in one position. That's why I could only get one transponder on any
satellite. It didn't make sense that a signal could be so strong on one transponder and nothing on any others.

Thanks for continuing to help newbies, guys.

mct1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts