C band Tree Distance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

perazzimx15l

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Usa
I have a WSI 6' Special and was wondering if tress in the next store persons house that are 25-50 feet in front of me would cause me not to get any signal to my because i have been try for the last 3 months and can not get a q but some s on my FS1 meter any thoughts.

What is the distance from the dish to the trees? You need to do some math or you can just use dishpointer.com to check the obstacle finder. Good luck.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Hi, how tall are the trees? Where are you located? What satellites are you trying to receive? What elevation are the satellites you are trying to receive at from your location? Have you tried checking the elevation over the trees with an inclinometer? That should get you started on trying to figure out what is wrong. Later, DC

The trees in the other persons yard is 200 feet out and 127 feet high and i am located between erie pa and buffalo ny. There is a fta installer in my area and there was a guy that had a 6' sadoun and had to take it back and had to get the 8.5' just to do HAM Radio. I am only using my for FTA.

A prime focus C-band dish "looks" right where it's pointed, so if it's looking through a treetop, you've got a problem.

As others have suggested, an inclinometer will help. Set the inclinometer for the dish look angle, stand by the dish, and sight over the inclinometer where the dish is pointed. If you see branches, so does the dish.

Last edited:
I believe the WSI 6' Special has a hole in the center of the dish, look through it at the feed. If you see trees around the scalar, you have a problem.

FaT Air, i looked through the WSI 6' and with out the LNBF i do see the tip of a pine tree and that could be by problem i have heard of this problem with people in my aera that have the treetop issue even with HAM Radio and the people who have lots of trees and had to have a minnium of a 10-12' for :FTA or 4DTV in my aera. So to solve the treetop problem i am i going have to get a 10' 0r a 12' dish.

You can always hope for some great winds to top the tree for you. A set of climbing spikes and a bow saw can help a slight breeze become that great wind.....:rolleyes:

perazzimx15l said:
So to solve the treetop problem i am i going have to get a 10' 0r a 12' dish.

Satellite signals cannot pass through tree branches or buildings. No size dish will overcome the loss of signal caused by tree limbs or buildings. Try relocating the dish to an area with a clear line of sight to the satellite.

I had a pizza dish customer use a 30-30 to trim a pine tree. Didn't work, trimmed too low. I moved the dish as the wife didn't want any more trimming. I can't get 139°W anymore because the neighbors trees have grown. Could, up until last spring. Might see some signal after the leaves fall, but not too expectant. I agree that the only absolute recourse is to move the dish or remove/trim the tree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts