C/Ku band combine into Coolsat 4000 Pro

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Flinthill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
West Central Texas
I have a 10 ft. steerable dish, Norsat Ku Lnb #4206A and Norsat C band Lnb #8215. Would like to combine both signals per the DMS Int'l "SG@100" diagram (thanks to Iceberg for link). Is there any LNB voltage issues, or settings, with either the 4dtv recvr or the Coolsat 4000 Pro that I need to be concerned about? Or, is it just a matter of plugging the whole thing together per the diagram and it all lives happily together???

Many thanks. Flinthill.

Thanks a bunch for the advice on the power pass splitter. I'm not familiar with this unit. Does it replace the high frequency splitter on the diagram? Also, is one required for each of the bands (C and Ku)? Can you recommend a source for the power pass splitter?

I noticed in the Coolsat manual that there is a LNB power setting set of options..."ON/OFF,13V/18V". Should I set this to off and use 4dtv power for the LNB's?

Sorry for all the questions but there are so many possibilities to get this hooked up wrong and fry something expensive.

Many thanks. Flinthill

On the splitter it should indicate a power pass, with an arrow pointed to one port. If it has no indication or mention of a power pass, then it's an All Port Power Pass (which you don't want). I only know of two kinds, 1) one port power pass, 2) all port power pass. So it should be one or the other. Yes, you will need one for C-Band and one for ku-Band, which equals two. A regular splitter will be around 5MHz-900MHz. What you're looking for should be around 5MHz-2100MHz or higher. 1000MHz is 1 GHz, so you want at least a 2GHz splitter.
If you get a one port power pass splitter, it shouldn't matter whether the LNB Power is on or off, the 4dtv is going to control the polarity anyway, if you're using a polarotor (servo motor). I leave my Coolsat LNB Power "On".
By all means, ask as many question as you can think of. We all understand about possibilities of "Frying Equipment", no one wants that to happen.

Al

VoomVoom
I wanted to let you know that I received the DC pass filters and a 22mhz filter. I installed them last weekend and all works just fine. It is a little tedious programming and operating the Coolsat and the 4dtv simultaneously but the reception is as hoped for. It will be nice when a manufacturer makes a FTA receiver that will move a BUD and control the polorotor. My thanks to you for the guidance.

careful what you wish for

It will be nice when a manufacturer makes a FTA receiver that will move a BUD and control the polorotor.
Through reading all the informed posts here , I was under the impression that -

- The Pansat 2800 and probably 3500 would control the polarotor?

- a Vbox will take diseqc commands from any receiver and move your BUD.

I'm sure some one will correct me and expand on the matter.

I'm sure some one will correct me and expand on the matter.
I'll Expand a little, Manhattan made a model that would control an actuator, don't remember the model number, but I've heard that Manhattan went out of business, and please don't quote me on that last part?

Al

I think you're right, and I believe I first read about it here on SatGuys.
Here's a gaudy advert for one of their models.
No clue if it's current.
Might want to search with Google to get more info.
They have/had a model 450 and a 500, if not more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)