Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have a CalAmp C/Ku feedhorn that is working awesome for C-band.

Is there any way that the Ku side can 'break'? I'm not sure how the Ku waveguide gets signal from the little hook inside but like I mentioned before, the C-band side works great.

I'm going to try bypassing the DiSEqC switch etc tonight to see where the problem lies. I'm not getting even the slightest hint of signal on Ku.

dfergie said:
Your Ku Lnb could have went "South"...
I might have got a bad one - they are both brand new Norsats. I have a couple others I can test with.

Shawn

I got it working.... and I changed nothing.

I did a blind scan and low and behold the transponders came a fly'n in.

I hate this Pansat right now

Maybe it's a side effect of the high stability LNB vs the normal ones we use with the Ku dishes. Even on the C-band side it seems REALLY picky about the frequency. 2-3 off and I'd see nothing.

This is making dish pointing with 1.2 just 'that' much more of a pain in the rear.

Now it's Wild A## Guess the azmuth, blind scan, see what I hit. Fine tune via 1.2 once I figure out what sat I'm on.

I'm only getting about 30% quality on 10R. There is definately room for improvement here :). I'll get to tweaking when I can spend more time on it. I'm going ot leave Ku be until I can dial it in. If I can't get this dish to as least perform as well as my P* dish I'm in trouble - hehe.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I got it working.... and I changed nothing.

I did a blind scan and low and behold the transponders came a fly'n in.

I hate this Pansat right now

Maybe it's a side effect of the high stability LNB vs the normal ones we use with the Ku dishes. Even on the C-band side it seems REALLY picky about the frequency. 2-3 off and I'd see nothing.

This is making dish pointing with 1.2 just 'that' much more of a pain in the rear.

Now it's Wild A## Guess the azmuth, blind scan, see what I hit. Fine tune via 1.2 once I figure out what sat I'm on.

I am running a Fortec Ultra that is pretty much idenical to a Pansat 2500A , except the Ultra does not have the terminals to control a polorotor .

I love the Ultra . The blind scan on a receiver is the greatest thing since sliced bread . :)

I have seen the frequencys it finds be slightly off what is listed on lyngsat.com .

But it works fine , so I am happy . :)

Best of luck ,
Wyr

Can anyone post what are the exact settings to get PBS-X (AMC 3); I have the same setup: CalAMP C/Ku (Corotor II) and the signals for C and Ku (analog) are strong and OK. I did use a splitter (power blocking) to feed my DVB-S PCI card (SkyStar 2 2.6D) which has not the blind search capability :( .
Here is what (from lyngsat) the settings that I use:
Name Freq Pol SR Vpid Apid
PBS-X EAST 12110 H 14025 49 52
PBS-X WEST 12110 H 14025 81 84
KIDS 12110 H 14025 65 68

Mike

Hi folks, Don't know if I am doing this right or not but I need some help. With so much "new stuff" out there like fta, I don't know much about this. My Dad loves his television and has a old c-band setup. my question is can any of this old system be used for fta reception?

kwkid said:
Hi folks, Don't know if I am doing this right or not but I need some help. With so much "new stuff" out there like fta, I don't know much about this. My Dad loves his television and has a old c-band setup. my question is can any of this old system be used for fta reception?

What does he have now? he can upgrade to 4dtv and slave a dvb box to it, what size is the dish? is the dish c/ku? solid or mesh?

Big dish is the best system one can have, and if your dad loves tv then he should upgrade his system if he only has a old analog IRD he is missing a lot.

I think its about a 7ft.dish ,mesh. as far as c/ku i am not sure. he has the old toshiba receiver but doesn't use this system any more. he went to dish network.

kwkid said:
I think its about a 7ft.dish ,mesh. as far as c/ku i am not sure. he has the old toshiba receiver but doesn't use this system any more. he went to dish network.

7' is a bit small, it would be worth it for him to get 4dtv and dump or cut down on the dish network sub, though if the dish is only 7' then it is not worth to invest in 4dtv, depending on what he watches he can get a dvb box and get good ku-band and some c-band.

Now if the dish is 8.5' or larger then I would jump on a 4dtv and dvb box asap :)

As long as he has a dish in the arc, then ya got a chance. 4D might work with that size dish as long as its aligned correctly. If he likes to tinker/peter with things, an FTA is a great sidecar to the Toshiba. Tell 'em to drop Douche Notwork

Hi tdti1,
I too have a similar problem. I have a 16 foot ku band mesh dish, motorized with dual cband lnbs and a 4dtv. I want to be able to watch cband and dbs ( I think thats what its called ), anyway dish network. How do I proceed, what should I buy/need. I have a viewsat 5000 platinim.

Yikes...a 16 footer!

rallycrawford said:
Hi tdti1,
I too have a similar problem. I have a 16 foot ku band mesh dish, motorized with dual cband lnbs and a 4dtv. I want to be able to watch cband and dbs ( I think thats what its called ), anyway dish network. How do I proceed, what should I buy/need. I have a viewsat 5000 platinim.

Wow...I think I only saw a 16 footer one time, and that was in the C band heyday! Your neighbors must be wondering!!!! Hell, they google at my 8 footer!

Given the logistics, I think I would put up a DN dedicated system, if that is the direction you want to go.

Just a question...with such a grand dish, why not just add a 4DTV and get subscriptions to it! Cheaper and better than DN and you do not have to subscribe to the likes of the Food Channel! The only downside is that you have to buy the receiver....it pays for itself in a couple of years in Pizza savings! If you want HD, then also add an HDD200 to the 4dtv. Nice part is that if you have a sub to say Starz digital, you do not pay extra to get HD on Starz (same with Sho and HBO HD)
jeff

rallycrawford said:
Hi tdti1,

I do't understand, do you have c/ku on the big dish? if so whay do you want to use dish network, the piture sucks and the prices for programming are crazy, I would stick with the 4dtv, and if you want to use dish to see how bad the picture is it's best to pop us a small dish.

Stonedtone420 said:
As long as he has a dish in the arc, then ya got a chance. 4D might work with that size dish as long as its aligned correctly. If he likes to tinker/peter with things, an FTA is a great sidecar to the Toshiba. Tell 'em to drop Douche Notwork

I have a 7'5 KTI in PA and I can get all of my digitals on my 905. I even pull in those hard HBO's on G1 with no pixalation when the wind is not blowing hard.

rallycrawford said:
Hi tdti1,
You mentioned you daul cband lnbs. Most of your fta and dbs is in the ku band.
You will need a feed horn that will accommodate both cband and ku band.
Another road block for you would be circular and linear polarization on the feed horn.

Viewsat 5000?

daveyhouse said:
You mentioned you daul cband lnbs. Most of your fta and dbs is in the ku band.
You will need a feed horn that will accommodate both cband and ku band.
Another road block for you would be circular and linear polarization on the feed horn.

I would assume that your FTA Viewsat (Is it a 2000?) is NOT equipped to get DN! You will probably need a DN receiver at the least and since you can get a whole setup for nothing (when you sign!) why not get the whole enchalada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)