C61K vs. RVU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gunnarliden

Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
West St. Paul, MN
I had the RVU set up for my 4K tv so I could watch VOD 4K, which worked, but always seemed clunky, channels changed so slowly, and my Samsung UN55JU6700 never seemed to like it. I recently had the new HR54 installed, and because of some faulty advice from the directv installer, was told wrongly that I didn't need RVU anymore because HR54 could handle 4K on its own. After a week of arguing with Directv, I realize that isn't the case now, and they are offering to come fix it so it is ready for live 4K (when it happens). Anyone used both RVU and C61K and have an opinion of which experience is better? Does the C61K change channels quicker? Does one choice or the other future proof my set up better than the other?

I had the RVU set up for my 4K tv so I could watch VOD 4K, which worked, but always seemed clunky, channels changed so slowly, and my Samsung UN55JU6700 never seemed to like it. I recently had the new HR54 installed, and because of some faulty advice from the directv installer, was told wrongly that I didn't need RVU anymore because HR54 could handle 4K on its own. After a week of arguing with Directv, I realize that isn't the case now, and they are offering to come fix it so it is ready for live 4K (when it happens). Anyone used both RVU and C61K and have an opinion of which experience is better? Does the C61K change channels quicker? Does one choice or the other future proof my set up better than the other?
If I am understanding what I've read, you need the C61K for Live TV in 4k, however if you just want to download 4k, the HR54 is fine .... in my opinion, why would you not get yourself ready to cover all of it ....

Others will chime in if I have something wrong here I'm sure.

But don't you have to pay for each one of those as though they were extra TVs? That needs to be addressed at some point, I think. You're paying for two TVs just to get 4K.

I suppose they could turn around and just call it a 4k charge, though.

But don't you have to pay for each one of those as though they were extra TVs? That needs to be addressed at some point, I think. You're paying for two TVs just to get 4K.

I suppose they could turn around and just call it a 4k charge, though.
Don't give them any ideas ;) :D :)

Reactions: robjlevin
I will clarify the question a little, I am trying to figure out if the C61K performs better than the RVU which I had set up and seems slow and glitchy. Anyone have experience with both and have an opinion of which they liked better?

I will clarify the question a little, I am trying to figure out if the C61K performs better than the RVU which I had set up and seems slow and glitchy. Anyone have experience with both and have an opinion of which they liked better?

Great question, but Im sure there is not a lot out there to compare both side by side....But I will assume the C61K should be much more responsive....

I will just wait till they wake up and produce a new STB that outputs 4K without charging for another receiver..

there's no a lot of info, but here goes.
Samsung RVU seems slower than the C61K. but LG RVU is faster than Samsung.
The C61K has a bug which seems to limit the 4K output to 24fps instead of the 60fps you should see (and get on the RVU). Presumably that bug will be fixed soon.

I have a Samsung SUHD TV with RVU, but the RVU never got set up. The installer insisted that I had to have a C61K, so I've got that connected to my brand new Samsung TV. The C61K seems to work pretty well from what I can tell. No issues with it. Can't speak on the RVU since it didn't get set up.

Great question, but Im sure there is not a lot out there to compare both side by side....But I will assume the C61K should be much more responsive....

I will just wait till they wake up and produce a new STB that outputs 4K without charging for another receiver..
You may be waiting forever. I hope not as I'd like to move up to 4k, but not with the added expense of an rvu or c61k.

You may be waiting forever. I hope not as I'd like to move up to 4k, but not with the added expense of an rvu or c61k.

Well if Direct wants me to pay for 3 locations and its really only 2...They can go pound sand!
They were unprepared for this and its totally obvious!

Well if Direct wants me to pay for 3 locations and its really only 2...They can go pound sand!
They were unprepared for this and its totally obvious!
I'm just spitballing here, but maybe the HR54 was going to be released before they knew what the broadcast standard for 4k was going. Rather than be wrong about which 4k standard to be used, they went ahead & released it with no broadcast ability for the box itself, just the ability to pull signals from the satellite 4k was to be broadcast from. In other words, it was too late to go back to the drawing board with the HR54, because they had a high volume already ready to be released. They released the C61k's & 4k ready tv's as a temporary patch until they can come out with a Genie DVR that can broadcast 4k itself.

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe the HR54 was going to be released before they knew what the broadcast standard for 4k was going. Rather than be wrong about which 4k standard to be used, they went ahead & released it with no broadcast ability for the box itself, just the ability to pull signals from the satellite 4k was to be broadcast from. In other words, it was too late to go back to the drawing board with the HR54, because they had a high volume already ready to be released. They released the C61k's & 4k ready tv's as a temporary patch until they can come out with a Genie DVR that can broadcast 4k itself.

Dude you freaken totally lost me!!!...did you see the post that I responded to????.. I will guess you did not?
I could care less what they thought, did, or there 2 bit answer is.....

If any company decides to charge anyone for 3 locations (or TVs) and use 2.....They can just lose lots of people who pay alot for there service......again.....I will wait to see what twittle dee and twittle dumb do with there stupid idea of ripping people off is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE 2 TVs,....i WILL NOT NOR EVER PAY FOR 3 TVs IF i DONT HAVE THEM.....get it now?

And using all common sense.....what the hell did the HR 54 have different than the 44?....absolute nothing!!!!!( other than the opportunity of 4K in some hap hazard way! )

Dude you freaken totally lost me!!!...did you see the post that I responded to????.. I will guess you did not?

If any company decides to charge anyone for 3 locations (or TVs) and use 2.....They can just lose lots of people who pay alot for there service......again.....I will wait to see what twittle dee and twittle dumb do with there stupid idea of ripping people off is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE 2 TVs,....i WILL NOT NOR EVER PAY FOR 3 TVs IF i DONT HAVE THEM.....get it now?

And using all common sense.....what the hell did the HR 54 have different than the 44?....absolute nothing!!!!!( other than the opportunity of 4K in some hap hazard way! )
Then dont get 4k through directv right now. There, I solved your problem. Hopefully my sound advice will help relieve some of your anger and keep some poor tech from having to deal with you.

It doesn't matter how many tv's you have, even if you had 3 tv's & one IS RVU, you are going to pay monthly for someone just hooking coaxial cable alone to your tv. Just like the fact that you don't OWN your Directv dvr's/receivers, you LEASE them, people ACCEPT the fact that you pay for the HR54 AND either the C61k or just a plain old coaxial cable connected via an adapter to the Ethernet port, plus usb port, of your tv for RVU. Directv says that's how they are doing it, they are not twisting your arm to force you to take it if you don't want to. That's just how you get 4k TV with Directv.

It doesn't matter how many tv's you have, even if you had 3 tv's & one IS RVU, you are going to pay monthly for someone just hooking coaxial cable alone to your tv. Just like the fact that you don't OWN your Directv dvr's/receivers, you LEASE them, people ACCEPT the fact that you pay for the HR54 AND either the C61k or just a plain old coaxial cable connected via an adapter to the Ethernet port, plus usb port, of your tv for RVU. Directv says that's how they are doing it, they are not twisting your arm to force you to take it if you don't want to. That's just how you get 4k TV with Directv.
At the moment.
I'm thinking seeing we are VERY EARLY into the 4k stuff that thats the way they have it set up.
Why they would make you pay twice for 1 TV I don't know, the simple solution is to Not do it that way and wait for the next recvr that comes out and handles 4k the way they want it.

At the moment.
I'm thinking seeing we are VERY EARLY into the 4k stuff that thats the way they have it set up.
Why they would make you pay twice for 1 TV I don't know, the simple solution is to Not do it that way and wait for the next recvr that comes out and handles 4k the way they want it.

Yep.....and that was my point all along.....instead some like to stick up for poor management decisions?

Yep.....and that was my point all along.....instead some like to stick up for poor management decisions?
I don't have a 4k set and unless my Pioneer Eiltes decide to die suddenly, I won't be getting one.
If I did have one, I would wait till a Live 4k D* recvr came out.

Because the Hr54 was designed to be the "standard" DVR, I don't think DirecTv wanted to increase its cost (and size) by adding all the electronics in the C61K. But I see this as an interim solution, if rumor is true the next box will be a server with clients anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts